Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to tidy-up Blue Voda folder in My Documents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tidy-up Blue Voda folder in My Documents?

Looking for assistance prior to making a mess on my own ... :)

I'm wanting to do a second website as an add-on domain.

In reading through the forums, I came across a post saying to make a new folder for the second site in the BV Folder in My Documents on my computer.

Good so far ...

Upon opening the BV folder in My Documents, I find one folder named Images, one folder named Templates, then more than a dozen BlueVoda Documents which correspond to my website pages ... both published and unpublished.

Do I ... make a new folder with the name of the first website and just drag all the existing folders and applicable pages into the new folder I make for the first website? Is it just that simple? Is there another ... or ... better way?

Second question ...

I also came across a post saying it's a good idea to put all the images used on your website pages into an images folder for that site, instead of the images just being drawn from files all over your computer.

That sounds like a good idea also ... especially since I would like to be able to work on my site(s) from all of my computers at some point in the future.

In glancing briefly at the list in the Images folder in my BV folder, I'm pretty sure I have more images on my website than are in that folder.

What is the best way to transfer those into the correct folder?

Do I then have to somehow "re-link" the pictures on my published pages to the pictures that are moved to the Images folder?

AND ... should there be an images folder for each individual page ... or ... just for each individual site?

Pretty basic questions, I'm sure.
    (blush, blush)

But I'd rather ask than screw it up ... ;)

Thanks ever so much for any and all assistance offered.

The forum posts have been invaluable to me!

JANET

http://www.renaissanceautos.com

Re: How to tidy-up Blue Voda folder in My Documents?

Hi Janet

If you move the images from the location you now have them, you will need to reinsert the images in your blue voda pages and publish again. If you are thinking of cleaning things up before you add your add on domain and folder on your computer, then yes this would be a good idea to do. If not, don't move them.

The new folder which you would make on your computer for the new add on domain would be the folder in which to keep your .bvp files, since some of those may have the same name as your main domain and would overwrite each other if not kept separately.

Most images you publish to your account will appear in the images folder on your computer ..

And remember to publish an index page and all other pages for your addon domain in the same way except to the public_html/addondomainname directory instead of just public_html

You will need to have the files and images on both computers if you wanted to work from both, keeping in mind the current versions of any pages you make would be different until you synchronized.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

'Upon opening the BV folder in My Documents, I find one folder named Images, one folder named Templates, then more than a dozen BlueVoda Documents which correspond to my website pages ... both published and unpublished.'

Hi Janet,

As you explained I too noticed folders in my My Documents\Blue Voda folder which I did not create, the contents of which are graphics , photos, logos etc., which I am using in my web pages.

I then realized that these folders was created and house by the BV program as you design your web pages.

Last night I did a major BOO Boo when I tried to clean up the files on Blue FTP leaving only the "sub folders that I wanted to publish".

All that I cleared in Blue FTP also disappeared from my "My Document\Blue Voda files and they also disappeared from my web pages.

Now I have to re insert all the contents back again.

BE CAREFUL OF WHAT YOU WANT TO REMOVE FROM THE BLUE VODA FOLDERS.

Best to leave them alone and open new folders for your 2nd site.
      www.siapamoyanganda.com/
      Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
      State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Last night I did a major BOO Boo when I tried to clean up the files on Blue FTP leaving only the "sub folders that I wanted to publish".

All that I cleared in Blue FTP also disappeared from my "My Document\Blue Voda files and they also disappeared from my web pages.

Now I have to re insert all the contents back again.

BE CAREFUL OF WHAT YOU WANT TO REMOVE FROM THE BLUE VODA FOLDERS.

Best to leave them alone and open new folders for your 2nd site.
        Oh, my ...

Thank you
        for sharing your unfortunate experience!

Sounds like "untidy" is better than the alternative.

Good luck on restoring the contents.

JANET

Comment

Working...
        X