to many meta tags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to many meta tags

can you have to many meta tags..i mean ive got 4 differant items on my site..i will put discriptions of what i have to offer of all these 4 items which could run into 20 to 30 mega tags(maybe more)...is this to many

e.g car,boat,truck,motorbike,holden,ford,sail,fishing, ute,stationwagons,sedans,flattop,pantech,etc,etc or could i put as much as i like that directly decribes that "say"car(car,holden,ford,buy,sell,motor,vehicle,)t hen do the trucks tags??etc,etc

i will have cars ,boats ,trucks,motorbikes on the 1 website..

any advice would be great..thankyou
    Dale

Re: to many meta tags

Hi, was looking around the net on this one the other day & quite commonly the answer seems to be any where up to the 164 words or 1000 letters of key words per page. But if this amount is used, it will dilute the pages importance to what the page is about , & this is not such a good thing with the se's. Chances are you would struggle to put this many key words on a page.
    The key words should be different to each & every page & be within the text on that page. So if it was about? lets say a fishing boat, don't include motorbike on this page. I would go for good words that people would search for & have these words within the text of your page & key words area. Not a bad idea to have headings to paragraphs of information & use <h1> to <h3> tags to the headings.

Good luck.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

If you are talking your meta keywords - you can only seriously expect to optimize any single page for 4 to 5 maximum keyword phrases. Any others and you should be making another page for them.

And ONLY put a keyword in the meta if it is ON THE PAGE.

If you try to optimize any single page for all those keywords you mentioned above - you'll probably not be returned in se's for any of them.
      Beth
      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

thanks so much for the advice.

Comment

Bethers, I wish I could show you a site I found the other day that was built by a BV client... I lost count of the keywords for their homepage after 5,000 words, and I was only roughly about 1/3 of the way through them !

However, if you know who you are... for YOUR sake only, please remove 99% of your keywords or expect to end up on page 12,000 of Google's search.
          Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

so do you think i should have 4 index pages(4 accounts) for these meta tags,1 for cars ,1 for boats ,1 for trucks and 1 for motorbikes,or do i do 4 pages???becuase dont the se's goto index page's first??? so if i did a page on say cars,but this was on a another page, not the the index,,how do i get people to go there first kinda thing??i only have the 1 company name,,so how can i put spread this information out yet have them goto that page(cars,boats,etc) when they use those tags??ill put my index page, so you can see what im talking about,,,(all links working,just disabled until site ready)not sure how to approach this with 4 differant products<<?www.usedtransportsales.com thanks for any advice

Comment

Originally posted by Dale B View Post
              so do you think i should have 4 index pages(4 accounts) for these meta tags,1 for cars ,1 for boats ,1 for trucks and 1 for motorbikes,or do i do 4 pages???becuase dont the se's goto index page's first??? so if i did a page on say cars,but this was on a another page, not the the index,,how do i get people to go there first kinda thing??i only have the 1 company name,,so how can i put spread this information out yet have them goto that page(cars,boats,etc) when they use those tags??ill put my index page, so you can see what im talking about,,,(all links working,just disabled until site ready)not sure how to approach this with 4 differant products<<?www.usedtransportsales.com thanks for any advice

I have a wedding directory with over 500 pages and growing, so what I do is I have an index page with links to all the other categories, i.e. photographers, cakes, dresses, cars etc etc...

Then I optimise each page for THAT content. So my wedding cake page is optimised for 'wedding cakes'.

Now... Don't think that people always enter your site on your home page. My stats for my directory show that I get nearly as many people entering my site on nearly every other page apart from my home page.

This is because for example, someone typing in 'Wedding Cakes Newcastle' will more than likely produce a result from the search engine that will take them directly to my 'Wedding Cakes - North East UK' page rather than my home page.

Does that make sense? Does that help you?

So optimise your 'Car' page for cars
              Optimise your truck page for trucks

etc.
              Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

sorry, another bit of advice...

If you are thinking of charging people to advertise their used cars, boats, trucks etc.... something I had to do was offer totally free advertising for quite a while to get the site full up with 'goods' therefore making it look 'busy' to the ones you ask to pay you maybe in 6 months or a year.

I didn't charge anyone to advertise in my wedding directory for a year. The second year I made over &#163;30,000 in advertising because it was looking 'busy', it had many hits and it was an established site. Too many people think they can just create a site and then charge away.... Yes in some cases maybe, but in most you have to take a back seat, offer many incentives, usually free... then go in for the kill!...

Comment

so what you are sayiny is:you think i should have a link to 4 differant pages from my index page and then have the search engine on each page(scripting to find those cars,boats)so all you see on my index page is cars,boats,trucks,etc,,,you then goto that page and it will have the search features on that page??each page will be adatped(optimised) to the product..is this what you mean??and yes you got yours up running quickly..i was expecting about 3 to 4 years off before i hit them with a bill...lol..thanks for your advice

Comment

Have a look at my directory it's www.ukweddingstore.co.uk to see how I have done it, however, please note that some pages will look entirely different as I am halfway through redesigning it and that means having to redo every page manually!

I am glad you are anticipating such a long wait as this makes good business sense.. plan for the future!

Comment

yes..i think thats the way to go..thanks for the advice.

Comment

No problem, good luck

Comment

Dale,
                          Your site should have how ever many pages are necessary for what the site is about. If it's able to convey everything in one page - then do a one page site. If you're a store with 1000 products - you'll end up with over 1000 pages.

Take a look at some of our sites - and maybe you'll start to have a light go off.
                          Beth
                          A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                          SEO - The Basics

Comment

OY VEY.. i have a headache reading this.. and.. then i looked at the site. NONE of those keywords are on your home page.. just a search form.. some marquees with ADS spelled ADDS, upload your pictures and click here for insurance. You dont have anything but that for the SE to find on your home page, so you best get to work writing some descriptive text about your search form and how it works to find that used TRANSPORTATION, otherwise the discussion is totally pointless.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                            02036089024 / United Kingdom
                            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

sorry karen Mac,but i put up a dummy site in the mean time...so you would have not seen much at all,the page im doing now is all about cars with things on the whole page about cars,used cars ,new cars,cars,cars,cars,meta tags all with cars related stuff,and then i will do the other pages the same way(trucks,etc)...so in the first few posts i have finally picked up what is all about...thanks to all you lot for the help...

sorry again karen that it looks bad...lol

Dale B

Comment

Working...
                              X