addon domain is going to main domain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• addon domain is going to main domain

I have a number of addon domains and most are working great. Some are not working right though. Maybe I have too many or am missing something?

My main domain is www.jimantics.com

I have an addon domain www.homesbyladd.com

When I tried to access www.homesbyladd.com on the internet my main domain comes up.

I know the nameservers are correct because it's getting to my main domain.

The files appear correct in the cp files.

I can get the right page to display if I redirect homesbyladd.com to its addon domain location: www.jimantics.com/homesbyladd/index.html so I know the page has been published correctly and the files are where they should be. This one is redirected now and works but I don't want to leave it like that.

I just added another addon domain www.lewispoint.com and I have the same problem. The files are published correctly but when i try to access from the net it gives me the main domain page.

1) Why can't I go directly to the addon domains i.e. www.lewispoint.com from the internet like I can with most of my others. They were all set up the same way. Why does it display my main domain instead?

2) How many addon domains can you have? Do I have too many? I have over 60 addons and only have the problem with a few.

3) What can I do to resolve it or troubleshoot it further?

Any help is appreciated!!
    Jim,

Re: addon domain is going to main domain

Jim,

When you added your add-on domains in your CP, you didn't do anything like forward them or anything? Did you just add them and that's all?

Without going into your CP and physically looking it's hard to work out what you have done.
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Jim

They are all working correctly now.

A subdomain will be accessed by www.subdomain.maindomain.com

The way you typed it is a just a folder, and not a domain. If you didnt add it thru cpanel as an ADDON, you just made a folder, it would do that.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Karen, when you click on his domain www.homesbyladd.com
        though, why does it come up with http://www.jimantics.com/homesbyladd/index.html, surely that's not correct?

I understand the logic as it's directing to that folder, but it shouldn't do it that way should it?
        Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Thanks for all the input.

marincky, When I set up the addons I just added them in the cp. Most of them worked as they should except but homesbyladd.com and lewispoint.com and one other one. I have 60 all set up the same, only 3 do not work.

homesbyladd.com goes to the addon domain page because I have it redirected to the appropriate folder still. I did it just to troubleshoot the problem and left it like taht for now.

www.lewispoint.com is not redirected and was added in the cp just like all my others. It still goes to the main domain www.jimantics.com instead of its own page even though the page was published correctly and teh right folders are there when I checked from the cp.

Karen, even when i try www.lewispoint.jimantics.com or just www.lewispoint.com it still goes to the main domain (www.jimantics.com)

It's like I made too many addons and some are being ignored or some glitch I'm missing. I removed the addons and added them again with the same results.
          Jim,

Comment

Well when i clicked awhile ago they all came up. Now the lewispoint is going to jimantics. I noted in my account there are TWO folders named the same, The one in LOWER CASE is the addon, the other one is the sub, Im going to guess that your index is going to the sub instead of the addon.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

If that is what you saw Karen, sounds as though you might be right, this might be what is happening. I would Log into control panel and enter the subdomains icon and see if you have the sub added there - you don't want this .. if you see it, I would remove it .. then I might even remove the add on domain as well .. then I would go to addon domains and add that domain again, like you already have - I would then go and look in my public_html directory for that particular folder, ensure there was only one of and republish my index page to that directory ... I think if this then did not work the way in which it should, I might submit a support ticket asking to have a look for me.

On another note - You actually have 60 domains ... All yours?
              Well, .. that's just a few eh!, lol ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Mac View Post
                I noted in my account there are TWO folders named the same, The one in LOWER CASE is the addon, the other one is the sub, Im going to guess that your index is going to the sub instead of the addon.

Karen
                Thanks Karen, if that's the case, any idea how I can make my index go to the addon?
                Jim,

Comment

When you click the publish button, make sure you type the path in lower case. Now, my server has been moved so this could have been a carry over from when they reset things, because my other account isnt doubled, but this one is. So when you type in your publish path, make sure you are typing in /lowercasedomain instead of /LowerCaseDomain, or /LOWERCASEDOMAIN

I notice by the way your are typing your url that this might be your case also, which is why i suggested it.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by LadyEye View Post
                    If that is what you saw Karen, sounds as though you might be right, this might be what is happening. I would Log into control panel and enter the subdomains icon and see if you have the sub added there - you don't want this .. if you see it, I would remove it .. then I might even remove the add on domain as well .. then I would go to addon domains and add that domain again, like you already have - I would then go and look in my public_html directory for that particular folder, ensure there was only one of and republish my index page to that directory ... I think if this then did not work the way in which it should, I might submit a support ticket asking to have a look for me.

On another note - You actually have 60 domains ... All yours?
                    Well, .. that's just a few eh!, lol ..
                    Thanks LadyEye, I couldn't remove just the subdomain. I had to remove the addon first. (Every addon must have a related sub domain). I guess maybe it's time for a support ticket as there doesn't seem to be an easy answer and everything appears to be set up properly.

Yes, I have over 60 domains, all mine... most were intended for resale or income but not much luck there.... the others are for a family business and learning how to build sites.

I think the problem has to do with a space or file limitation that prevent recognition of certain addons.

Thanks to everyone who helped... I'm still open for suggestions.
                    Jim,

Comment

Working...
                    X