No link on Back Button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No link on Back Button

I have just published my first effort at a website design - www.synergysolutions-tx.com

After some difficulty in getting the navagation links to work, I was able to do so as a result of postings on the forum. I now find that the pages link but I cannot go back to a previous page with the back arrow on my computer. Also the url on the link pages are shown by the browser as "untitled pages". I have queried the support desk and have gotten a one sentence reply that says I must show the target link as "_self" There is no quidance as to whether this is to be shown as the target on all pages, including the index page or on all pages except the index page.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    JAFMER

Re: No link on Back Button

Your back button isn't working because you have elected to have each page open in a new window. Support told you correctly - to go back and change the selection to "self" (you now have "_blank") That will correct that problem.

You really don't want pages within your own website to open in new windows. Now, if you link to sites off your website, then that is acceptable.

You have no titles on the pages because you didn't give the pages titles when you made them. Simply right click on each page and fill in the title information where it's asked for (and your other meta info).

You might want to go back through the BV tutorials where these subjects are covered - so you feel more comfortable with it.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

General Beth:

Thanks for the help. I appreciate your guidance, it all worked except the re-reading the tutorials. I had revisited them many times before I asked for help. I am either blind, mentally retarded or suffer from some other malady as I did not find any guidance other than to use the _blank as a general instruction. I consider your guidance appropriate and I am now reading and re-reading the tutorials on adding a domain to this site and I certainly do not feel comfortable with the process. I find about the only way to learn this is to read the instruction until you think you understand and then you try it and learn that you didn't understand it at all.
      Then you stumble through discovering what you did wrong and by the time you need to do it again you have forgotten what you did wrong the first time.

Thanks for your very good help.

John

Comment

Hi John

you mention "adding a domain to this site" - are you purchasing another domain to add to your voda hosting account because you don't really add a domain to this site, you would add either a sub-domain or an add on domain to your account, but if this is what you are doing ...

1. purchase the domain
        2. log in where you bought the domain and point the domain to your two voda servers (found in your log in information ns.??.vodahost.com)
        3. log into your control panel
        4. choose addon domain icon, a folder will be created for you
        5. fill in information
        6. create a folder by the new domain name on your own computer
        7. store pages built for this domain in this folder (this avoids any possibility of overwriting any pages of your first domain, such as index, contact, and possibly more having the same name)
        8. publish these pages you built to public_html/nameofdomain
        - you will need to type the domain name after public_html/ for publishing to this domain and removing it when publishing to first domain.

If you are not purchasing a new domain name, then you would be adding a sub-domain, these are free and unlimited as well .. a sub-domain differs in the fact that it is dependent on your main domain for it's url (website address) subdomain.maindomain.com/nameofpage.html

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi John,

As with anything new, it involves a lot of trial and error. I joined in May, and I still have ALOT to learn, always will. Although time consuming, what works best for me is playing with an element to see everything I can possibly make it do, and if it doesn't do what I want, I start searching these forums. I've found almost every answer I've needed (such as the answers above).

Everybody learns in their own way and time, find yours and keep your chin up!

Don't hesitate to ask a question, after first putting forth the effort to search for answers already posted. That is the entire reason for these forums!

Comment

Glad to be of help - and don't think I meant not to post. I know it takes awhile for a lot of this to sink in :) One step at a time.
            Beth
            A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

I really appreciate the help proferred here. Ladyeyes, your note of anticipation is especially appreciated. I have added an addon and am in the process of designing the pages. I anticipate encountering problems in the process and your heads up make the process less intimidating. The _public bit is mentioned in the tutorials but is not clear. As with a number of instructions, the tutorials and the help desk leave out critical details that are essential. thanks to you all for the past help and in advance for the help I am going to need.

John

Comment

Working...
              X