Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in preview, home page aligns far right

HI

I aplogize in advance if this question has already been asked a "gajllion" times. If that is the case, please direct me to the correct thread so I can find my info there. I did a thorough search for about an hour and could find no answers to my questions.

I am building my home page, and when I preview it, it is aligned far to the right so that I have move the scroll bar to center it. I have changed the width in bv both + and - and it only gets worse, not better. Right now the width is set at 800, the default setting.

Is this just an automatic thing? Will all my potential customers have to use the scroll bar at the bottom to see everything on the page, or can I set it so that no scroll bar at the bottom is needed? I just don't need my website to be that wide.

Thanks

Jenny
    maupincopywriting.com
    maupincopywriting.com
    content writing for websites and more!

Re: in preview, home page aligns far right

Since I can't actually see your page I am guessing here.

In the site builder, make sure you build your site tight to the left and top of the sitebuilding page.

Go to View - Page Properties - and make sure you have ticked the 'center in browser' button.

Then build it to 800 width, and you should have no problem.
    Liz
    www.sebastopolparty.com
    www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

Larazovich

I wish I could display the page, but I can't publish yet. Not until 11/14/07. I am doing a free domain name xfr, and I just purchased the name. BV will not let me xfr until the domain name is 60 days old. (I think it's a law)

Anyway...I did everything you suggested when I was building the site ( I watched the tutorial and wrote notes). I double checked to be sure everything was set up correctly and I have my page properties set up to "center in browser" w/ a width of 800. I had to increase my height though to accomodate my site. Could that be causing the problem?

Jenny
      maupincopywriting.com
      maupincopywriting.com

Comment

Originally posted by jennylm5000 View Post
        Larazovich

I wish I could display the page, but I can't publish yet. Not until 11/14/07. I am doing a free domain name xfr, and I just purchased the name. BV will not let me xfr until the domain name is 60 days old. (I think it's a law)

Anyway...I did everything you suggested when I was building the site ( I watched the tutorial and wrote notes). I double checked to be sure everything was set up correctly and I have my page properties set up to "center in browser" w/ a width of 800. I had to increase my height though to accomodate my site. Could that be causing the problem?

Jenny
        maupincopywriting.com
        Couple of things.
        Although you cannot transfer your domain name for the 60 days, I believe you can point your domain name to VH servers right away. Do a search on this forum search to see how.

Height shouldn't affect the centering of your page.
        Here is something you might try:

In your sitebuilder
        1. Go to Layout - guide settings
        2. set the width and height that you want,
        3. tick the box that says 'show guide borders'
        4. Click ok

Then back on your page in the sitebuilder
        1. Click edit
        Click select all

This will highlight everything you have on your page.

Check and make certain nothing is outside of the guide line that will now be visible.

If you find anything outside the guide lines, remove or adjust as necessary.

If everything is inside those lines, and you have checked the box in page properties that says 'center in browser', this should do the trick.

Hope this helps
        Liz
        www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

Liz...it's late and I'm heading off to bed...I will try your suggestions first thing in the morning. Thank you kindly for your help. You are a gem... I will let you know how it goes!

Jenny
          maupincopywriting.com
          maupincopywriting.com

Comment

Liz, Liz, Liz

YOU ARE A SAINT!!!

Thank you...I messed with the guide setting width...actually increased it from 800 to about 925, then fussed w/ the guide line on the right side and now the page is centered when I preview it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

What would us newbies do w/o you guys who have been there and done that!!

Jenny
            maupincopywriting.com

p.s. I'm also going to try and point my website to the vh servers, per your suggestion :)
            maupincopywriting.com

Comment

Liz, Liz, Liz

YOU ARE A SAINT!!!

Thank you...I messed with the guide setting width...actually increased it from 800 to about 925, then fussed w/ the guide line on the right side and now the page is centered when I preview it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

What would us newbies do w/o you guys who have been there and done that!!

Jenny
              maupincopywriting.com

p.s. I'm also going to try and point my website to the vh servers, per your suggestion :)
              Jenny,

So glad it worked for you!

Yep, this forum is aces - sure saves me a lot of heartburn, over and over again.
              Liz
              www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

Originally posted by larazovich View Post
                Couple of things.
                Although you cannot transfer your domain name for the 60 days, I believe you can point your domain name to VH servers right away. Do a search on this forum search to see how.
                I went to the tutorials for how to point my domain name to the vh servers. I read a lot of info on the forums as well. It seems to me that until my domain name xfr is complete...I can not point my domain name to the VH servers.

It's OK though... I can wait the 60 days. I have about 3 weeks left, and that will give me time to finish my website.

Thanks for your help!!!

Jenny
                maupincopywriting.com
                maupincopywriting.com

Comment

I went to the tutorials for how to point my domain name to the vh servers. I read a lot of info on the forums as well. It seems to me that until my domain name xfr is complete...I can not point my domain name to the VH servers.

It's OK though... I can wait the 60 days. I have about 3 weeks left, and that will give me time to finish my website.

Thanks for your help!!!

Jenny
                  maupincopywriting.com
                  Hey Jenny -

I just found this post -
                  If your domain with go daddy is over 60 days old you can ask Voda Host to transfer this domain to your account. (And Chris is right, there is a small charge for this). If your domain with go daddy is not over 60 days old, you can instead log into your go daddy account and point the domain to voda servers. You would then log into your voda host control panel, choose ADD ON domains and add this domain to your voda host account. When the domain that you do not want comes up for renewal you can let voda host know at this time that you do not wish to keep this domain and they will fix your account accordingly ..

This was by Ladyeye, one of our Forum moderators. Follow her directions above .. obviously adjusting as needed for wherever you got your domain name.. or you could probably email her at and she might be able to assist. ladyeye@ladyeye.net
                  Liz
                  www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

Working...
                  X