Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is "Index of /" ??

O-K Room moderators,

it seems that I have a learning curve today. I'm starting out with a practice page and followed the turtorials. My site is: www.BrownBeanMachines.com

When I published I'm getting the page "Index of /" for my site

Thanks Randall
    www.SflaMarineRepair.com
    Have a Great day!

Re: What is "Index of /" ??

That's because the page you have published is not called index.

You must name the first page of your site, commonly known as the home page as index (all in lower case) then publish it and I guarantee you will see your homepage.
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Thank You Ramsey,

I'm getting familure with the BV. I will be overcoming some growing pains.

Randall
      www.SflaMarineRepair.com
      Have a Great day!

Comment

Hi Randall,
        Welcome to VH!
        Beth
        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

Originally posted by coffee4uandme View Post
          Thank You Ramsey,

I'm getting familure with the BV. I will be overcoming some growing pains.

Randall
          You're welcome Randall. By the way, keep an eye on the page width of your site before you carry on with it. Try and stick between 800 and 100 wide (preferably 800) as there are some people who may have to scroll across to see your full site as I do at present on your homepage.
          Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Just correctly Ramsey to 800 to 1000 wide - 100 wide would be pretty skinny :)

I use 1000 wide, but he is correct that those on old monitors will still be stuck with resolutions of 800 wide. Eventually that will be history - and less are using it each year - unfortunately some still are.
            Beth
            A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

Originally posted by Bethers View Post
              Just correctly Ramsey to 800 to 1000 wide - 100 wide would be pretty skinny :)

I use 1000 wide, but he is correct that those on old monitors will still be stuck with resolutions of 800 wide. Eventually that will be history - and less are using it each year - unfortunately some still are.

ooops thank you Bethers...typo error!!

Actually I have started to get a bit brave and got to around 900 with a couple of my sites, so I take it this is fairly reasonable to go to 1000 now?

Comment

Hi Bethers,

I thank you both for the prompt attention!

Randall
                www.SflaMarineRepair.com
                Have a Great day!

Comment

Well GEEZ no wonder im having to do hated site reviews! Youre over here! :)

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                  02036089024 / United Kingdom
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

BUSTED!!

I will be dedicating more time to the forum now that I'm up and running with BV.
                    This BV is just a pet project for me.
                    Sorry about the MIA

Randall :)
                    www.SflaMarineRepair.com
                    Have a Great day!

Comment

I AM HAVING A SIMILAR PROBLEM WHERE I GET INDEX/....HOW DO i UN-PUBLISH THE PAGES THAT i PUBLISHED....SO THAT i CAN LOAD THE INDEX PAGE FIRST?

Comment

You can't un-publish. You can login to an ftp, or the file manager in cpanel and delete the files.

But it isn't necessary, the order you create your webpages does not matter, just make an index page and publish it and it will work fine

Register/Login Script
                        Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

i tried to republish and now I seem to have a mess of stuff...my site is www.congregationtreelife.com ....can you take a look at the index and let me know what i am doing wrong. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kakurse View Post
                            i tried to republish and now I seem to have a mess of stuff...my site is www.congregationtreelife.com ....can you take a look at the index and let me know what i am doing wrong. thanks

Looks like you have your index page up, you need to just go ahead and publish your other pages which will make the links work ...

Remember that whatever you name save and publish your page as is what you need to link to ..

e.g., name save and publish as help ... link to www.congregationtreelife.com/help.html

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                            02036089024 / United Kingdom
                            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

I have a similar problem. I am building a single home page that will service 5 separate companies, but all within the same website. Each company's website will be in a separate folder. Hence you will have http://mysite.biz and then from there you can get to mysite.biz/subsite

Do I have to name the page within the subfolder "index" in order for it to load automatically. I'm using .php pages also, not html.

Comment

Working...
                              X