Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding second domain name, any cautions or hints?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding second domain name, any cautions or hints?

I am adding a second domain name/website (www.LooksRule.com) to my existing domain name/website (www.gordonpatzer.com). Are there any hints or precautionary steps that I should take? I have already added this second domain name to my account and do now I simply "publish" each page of my second website?

Or do I need to use FTP (which I don't totally understand) and do I put my new website page names into the same "Public_html" folder/file or do I need to create a new "Public_html?

Also, is there any chance that my new website pages (for example, the "index" page) somehow delete or corrupt the comparably named website page for my first/existing website? I think it should not because in this case one will be named www.gordonpatzer.com/index.html while the other will be named www.looksrule.com/index.html, but should I put all these pages from two different domain names/two different websites into the same Public_html folder, which, I guess, is the same question as in my above paragraph. Be gentle, I am very very new all this.

Thank you, thank you greatly.

gordon787

Re: Adding second domain name, any cautions or hints?

Hey Gordan

Your second domain name is an Add On Domain. Simply go to the tutorials and look for the Add on domain tutorial and it is pretty straight forward. You simply use the Blue Voda FTP to publish the pages in a seperate folder and the tutorial explains this.

You will not delete the original site if you follow the tutorial.

Best of luck
    Phil Cartledge (Aussie Phil)

Discover A Simple Approach To Online Business That Locks In Your Success.

Comment

Thank you philipc9635, thank you very much.

gordon787

Comment

Help, I did something wrong concerning my add-on domain.

First, I have created and published my www.gordonpatzer.com website.

Second, I have created an add-on domain (at least I think I did) called www.looksrule.com. When I go to the CPanel and try to re-add this looksrule.com as an add-on domain, the screen gives me some error messages and ultimately says www.looksrule.com is already configured (which I tried to do about a month ago). However, the CPanel does not show www.looksrule.com listed as an add-on domain name.

I have FTP transferred all my www.looksrule.com files to Public_html/looksrule, however, my looksrule.com/index.html doesn't seem to transfer the same as my other www.looksrule.com files. In any event, now when I go to my Internet Explorer browser and I type in www.gordonpatzer.com, it takes me to the correct home/index page. BUT, when I type in www.looksrule.com (which is my add-on domain), my Internet Explorer browser takes me incorrectly to my www.gordonpatzer.com home/index page and NOT to my www.looksrule.com home/index page.

Can someone tell me what I did wrong and how I can correct the above problem concerning my add-on domain website?

Thank you.

gordon787

Comment

I am having a similar issue. I have built my first site in my account and used osCommerce to build. I have added an ad-on Domain and created the associated emails but I cannot load up a new installation of osCommerce and end up with the new URL. Can anybody advise how you do this? There are two questions in fantastico to upload osCommerce that have to be ruling this one is Domain name the other is directory. I have tried uploading under new domain and no directory errors occur, I have tried new domain and a directory and again errors occur. I have tried domain 1 and then directory and I end up with new domain as a sub domain to old domain which is not the URL I want. I want www.domain2.com I have working quite nicely www.domian1.com the onlyn thing I managed to achieve was www.domain1.com/Directory/.
          Not sure if this is the best section to post this but hoping.

Comment

Gordon,
            I suggest you put in a support ticket.

Measha,
            I do not believe you can have two instances of OsCommerce on the same account - so your problem is totally different. But I could be wrong. Please check on that and how it would need to be done.
            Beth
            A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

Sorry Gordon as Bethers stated you will have to submit a support ticket as I don't know what is happening there.
              Phil Cartledge (Aussie Phil)

Discover A Simple Approach To Online Business That Locks In Your Success.

Comment

Thank you Beth and thank you Phil -- I will do precisely as the two of you have stated. I much appreicate it. -- Gordon / gordon787

Comment

According to Voda support you can but they wont tell how. They will do it for me and charge me $30!

Comment

Measha,
                    If you want to sell - and will need the dedicated IP and SSL - you can only have one of those per account - so yes, you could technically add it twice - or three times, or as many as you want. But if you then wanted to make the check-out secure - you could only do it by using Paypal or another off-site processor.

Oh, and in my opinion - $30 is peanuts to get this done.
                    Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                    SEO - The Basics

Comment

I have Yorkshire heritage and they do not like spending 1p if they dont need to. My processor is PayPal Pro UK which doesn't need an SSL or dedicated IP. Having said that I cannot discover how to add a second site and work purely on the domain name for tha second site.

Comment

Then maybe you need to slap your heritage (believe me, I'm a penny pincher) and realize there are times the money spent is well worth it - specially when it's a one-time only small amount - and can save you hours and hours of headaches. I, for one, will not attempt it for you - because it would take me more hours to figure it out - and my time is valuable also.
                        Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                        SEO - The Basics

Comment

No problem wouldn't expect you to spend hours of time on it. It was just a simple question if anybody had the pat answer. Don't worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Measha06 View Post
                            I have Yorkshire heritage and they do not like spending 1p if they dont need to. My processor is PayPal Pro UK which doesn't need an SSL or dedicated IP. Having said that I cannot discover how to add a second site and work purely on the domain name for tha second site.
                            You need to read the docs on PCI compliance. If they PAY ON SITE you must have ssl and dedicated IP. They DONT require it, but they arent responsible for you not using it. The Credit Card companies, however, DO REQUIRE IT. I promise you, they will revoke your merchant account, which is what pay pro is, if one customer complains. The only way you dont need ssl is if they go to paypal to checkout. I also guarantee you that visa and master card will visit your site the minute you run a test or your first order, and if you dont have ssl will not process.

What is PayPal? Discover what you can do with your PayPal account, money management, and sending money online, all from your digital wallet.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                            02036089024 / United Kingdom
                            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi Karen

Thanks for the note I dug around after we chatted and SSL is now on and a dedicated IP just got to put logo on now.

Comment

Working...
                              X