X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help getting 2nd site started...

Hello,

I already have one website through VodaHost (www.TFOD2theSaints.com), and I recently bought a new domain thru Voda (www.SpectacularCarpetPythons.com) for another separate site that I am putting together. I just need help getting the second site started. I do pretty well with design, but I'm no so good with the technical stuff.

1.) Do I need to buy another hosting account for my second site, or can the second site piggyback on my existing account? In other words, do I have to pay another $100 per year for my second site? If so, how do I go about doing this?

2.) What needs to be done in order for me to successfully publish the index page of my new site? (once I get this done I think I can figure out the rest)

3.) How do I organize my new site's files -- Where do I place the files that will be used for building my second site? Can I make sub files within my first websites files? Will the site be able to recognize these, or do they need to go somewhere else?

4.) Where do I find my server name so I can be sure my new domain points to the right server?

Sorry for all of the questions. As I said, I'm not very good at all of the technical web stuff!

Thanks in advance,

Will Leary
    www.TFOD2theSaints.com
    www.SpectacularCarpetPythons.com

Client ID # is 17988.

Re: Help getting 2nd site started...

Originally posted by WJLeary View Post
    Hello,

I already have one website through VodaHost (www.TFOD2theSaints.com), and I recently bought a new domain thru Voda (www.SpectacularCarpetPythons.com) for another separate site that I am putting together. I just need help getting the second site started. I do pretty well with design, but I'm no so good with the technical stuff.

1.) Do I need to buy another hosting account for my second site, or can the second site piggyback on my existing account? In other words, do I have to pay another $100 per year for my second site? If so, how do I go about doing this?

No - you can add this domain within your exisiting voda hosting account. Log into your vbs billing (log in information found on the confirmation of your domain purchase) and once inside, go to MY DOMAINS and then find the new domain name you purchased and set the name servers to the two name servers of your main domain (found in your log in information email)

Once you have done this, log into your control panel and choose ADD ON DOMAIN - add this domain on ... a folder will be created (a folder is a directory - same thing)

2.) What needs to be done in order for me to successfully publish the index page of my new site? (once I get this done I think I can figure out the rest)

You will publish the .bvp files for this domain to public_html/spectacularcarpetpythons

(typing this after public_html in the publish box area and removing it when you want to publish to your main domain)

3.) How do I organize my new site's files -- Where do I place the files that will be used for building my second site? Can I make sub files within my first websites files? Will the site be able to recognize these, or do they need to go somewhere else?

Create a new folder on your own computer in MYDOCUMENTS/BLUEVODA by the name of this new domain, then when you create a .bvp file in blue voda, you will store it in this folder. This will prevent any overwriting of any pages named the same - example - index - or contact us .. they can be the same names if in a different folder, and of course, publish to a different folder too.

4.) Where do I find my server name so I can be sure my new domain points to the right server?

As answered in question 1...

Sorry for all of the questions. As I said, I'm not very good at all of the technical web stuff!

Thanks in advance,

Will Leary
    www.TFOD2theSaints.com
    www.SpectacularCarpetPythons.com

Client ID # is 17988.
    You will do fine Will .. need any further clarification, please post back ..

public_html is the directory for your main domain

public_html/spectacularcarpetpythons is the directory for your add on domain

Good Luck

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thanks!

Regarding my NS information, it appears to already be pointing to: ns1.voda18.com. Does this sound correct? Or does it need to be a number like this: 74.86.119.167?

Will <><

Comment

I think I have it working!

Thanks a million!

Will <><

Comment

Working...
        X