Configuring Firewall to allow FTP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuring Firewall to allow FTP

I am new to VodaHost and I posted this message in the Chat forum when I believe I should have posted it here.

I am using a firewall that that comes with my Virus protection program.
    I pick on (configure firewall) There are three tabs to pick from, "Rules" "Services" and "Settings".

I pick the Rules tab.
    The top line under Name/Comment says "Your rules will be added here". I am assuming here that after I configure the FTP then I will get a button to enable it, as I see there are buttons on the other options to enable or disable them.

Next I pick the "Services" tab.
    Under Services I see a long list. In the next column, titled, "In Use" some are listed as "yes" and some are listed as "No".
    I scroll down to "FTP".
    "FTP" is not in use. I highlight the FTP and click on the "Add" button.
    A window pops up labeled "Add New Service"
    The box titled "Service properties" has empty boxes to fill in.
    1st box- Service Description.............?? (what should I type in here?)
    2nd box- Protocol.......gives three options to pick from. ICMP1, TCP(6), UDP(17). (which one to go with?)
    3rd box- Initiator ports.......and a Edit button to pick on. Add a single port of a range of ports. (Select single or range?, What numbers to type in?)
    4th box- Responder Ports......and a Edit button to pick on. Add a single port or a range of ports. (Select single or range?, What numbers to type in here?)
    5th (a check box) that is grayed in labeled "Allow Broadcast"
    6th (a check box) that is also grayed in labeled "Allow Multicast"
    (5 & 6) are not selectable.

The Settings tab:
    "Settings". The box labeled "Trusted network adapter" has "None" in it. It gives me pull down window to pick another option. Second option is "VIA compatable fast ethernet adapter - Packet scheduler miniport".
    Do I select None or the 2nd option? There is another grayed in box that is labled "IP address" it doesn't allow an entry.

The next box on this page is labled " Suspicious traffic Alerting"
    There are three boxes to check.
    1. Alert on illegal packets. Not Checked
    2. Alert on packets shorter than....................128, (this number can be changed) Checked.
    3. Alert on illegal fragments. Checked.
    And lastly a box to pick that says "Show alert log"

Ok, I believe that is all of the configuring to do to set up a new FTP.
    I do not know what information should be typed in the boxes.
    Hopefully someone will know...

Ken
Working...
X