I need help naming and publishing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help naming and publishing.

Okay, sorry if this is really easy and basic to most of you, but I am chasing my tail, PLEASE help!

Here's my situation. I have built my page and three sub pages. After purchasing BV, I somehow got my main page and one subpage up, and now I can not duplicate it. In fact I lost my subpage. Can someone please walk me through this process as if I were a three year old who has never seen a computer before? I have no problem building, saving, and publishing, but I can not seem to get my subpages named and linking properly.
    Am I not naming and saving properly?
    Am I missing something when I publish?
    Where is my page after I publish?
    Do I need to do something in my cPanel?
    After this all works properly, can I then make changes and just hit publish for them to take effect?
    What exactly should I do between building and seeing the pages on the web?
    I feel like my File manager is completely cluttered now, and I don't know what needs to be there, and what I need. If I try to type in a subpage in the address bar directly, (www.mr2.187motorsports.com) I get a white index page rather than the actual designed page. I also messed around with Soho, after purchasing BV, and I don't know if this created a problem. Can someone please get me from name and publish, to the ability to see the page on the web?

My domain is 187motorsports.com
    client # 19407

These are what I have so far:

Intro page- (should this be the 'index' page so it's the 1st thing you see?)
    home page- (or should this be the 'index' page because it is the main page everything links to?)
    mr2-
    rules-

Thanks in advance!

Re: I need help naming and publishing.

hello; it sounds like you are getting very frustrated. let me see if i can help.
    I entered the www.187motorsports.com into the web browser and your enter page came up. I would assume this is your intro page and is named as index. it looks like this is working fine.
    now when i click on the word enter, nothing happens so here is what you have to do with that index page.
    put a link to the word enter and when the configuration box comes up you should open the link tab, and type in http://www.187motorsports.com/pagename.html
    so let's say you built your second page and named it home. you must save it as home and then the above link would be

and now that you have linked intro page to home page, you follow the same steps on the home page for page 2, 3, 4, and so on.
    The most important things to remember are:
    1. you must use no caps, no spaces when you are saving a page.
    2. the link must have your websitename/savedpagename with a .html at the end for the link to work.
    publish it and it should work fine. If you still are having trouble contact me through my website - I would be happy to walk you through this on the phone.
    mrmagoo144
    mrmagoo144
    www.videopostcards.info

Comment

Originally posted by greatmc View Post
      Okay If I try to type in a subpage in the address bar directly, (www.mr2.187motorsports.com) I get a white index page rather than the actual designed page. I also messed around with Soho, after purchasing BV, and I don't know if this created a problem. !
      The link you show above is improper, as it actually sends the browser off looking for a sub-domain rather than a page within a domain:

1) using a period and a pre-extension like you did is improper (www mr2.187motorsports.com), as it is not an addition (after, or an extension to your domain) as seen in a proper link: www.187motorsports.com/mr2.html )

2) You need to save your page as mr2 and then publish it (do not add any .html extensions - it is done automatically)

3) When you include a link in your navigation (Menu) and elsewhere, be sure you simply use the properly written link : www 187motorsports.com/nextpagenamehere.html
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Okay, progress! Thank you guys/gals for the help, I think I'm moving along. Two more questions.
        1)When I publish, The box pops up and says save in 'public_html', do I add to that, or just leave it alone?
        2)Why don't I see my changes? Does it take a minute after publishing, or am I doing something else wrong? (maybe the first question is the cause?)

Comment

Have you actually reviewed any of the Tutorials? (Especially on Saving & Naming Pages, Linking Pages, & Publishing)

1) Just leave the Publish Dialog box alone...do not change anything: just enter your User Name & Password

2) Did you ever think to "refresh your browser" after going to the "Live" page (so the new page can re-load -- after you are sure you are out of "Preview" mode) ??
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

I've got the same problem as alot of other people here. I've tried to publish abstraxsax.co.uk but all I'm getting is ans advert banner. I published all the pages, that is index, home contact etc but as yet nothing has appeared. I complrtrly confused!! Go easy on me I'm a bit old....

Comment

I know how you all feel, as I am in the same boat (another newbie). I think I figured that the FTP upload by BV is for doc and text pages on the C drive of the computer and the cpanel is to upload the web pages created in the hard drive to the server. I am confused on how the two inter-relate and how page naming needs to be done to make one happy linked family of pages.

Comment

Working...
              X