Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why do my questions disappear?

Hi all
    I was just wondering. I have asked a couple questions lately that have disappeared. My last question was a day or so ago and I was asking

Is there a way to block spammers from leaving obscene messages on my guest books?

I never did see any answers and came in tonight to check and my question is gone.

I thought there were NO stupid questions and am now feeling like maybe I am not asking in the right way.
    Please help me understand
    Thank you
    katt
    websites:
    kattsconnections.com
    k-2indianpotterybarn.com
    scrollartbybruce.com

Re: why do my questions disappear?

Dunno.....I never saw you post anything "off" in any manner whatsoever, but maybe somebody else did as a reply?

Now don't you go get all paranoid on us now.....you have been doing so well recently, K-Girl!
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

lol So do you have any suggestions on how to keep spammers from leaving obscene messages on my guest books?
      I'm afraid to put the guest book back on the site I built for my Dad
      scrollartbybruce.com
      Thanks
      katt
      Really couldn't have done all this without you guys and your answers!!
      You are my lifeline.

Comment

Yes, but you need to spell it right to do a forum search to pull it up: you need to install a "captcha" thing plug-in, which is the thing you see when you have to type in a "pitcurized" text and then wait to get an access email....like a 2 step process to keep out bots and to allow only legitimate email addressees in.....and if that fails, you can always ban those emails if they do in fact graffitti your site....

Now the spelling...."capcha"? "catchpa"?? OMG....torture!

BRB...lemme see if I can find one....

Comment

1) http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/cus...hlight=captcha
          2) http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/sta...hlight=captcha

I think you are going to need to create your own.....from what I gather, your Guestbook is not really like a Forum (which is a robust script on it's own), so you will need to make something like an email form with a visual clue that will then be emailed back to the registrant with the pre-arranged password for access...and this can be done with an auto-responder (so you can designate a specific email alias for only that function on the domain) or by installing ABDFP (a much larger task...LOL).

So....create an email "form" with a visual clue that must be included in the email (thus the captcha screening) and a new email account on the domain (like guestbookMod@domainname.com) so it is simply an email form, an auto-function.

Understand?

I am not up to my usual "eloquent" form tonight, sorry...

Comment

Two FREE services to make this captcha thing:

1) http://www.google.com/url?sa=L&ai=Bs...m4EEkQU-7UzoLQ

2) http://www.captcha.net/

OK....have to make coffee now....

Comment

Thanks so much for your help..as I said, you guys are my lifeline and even if I don't understand all the lingo..I do understand the instructions and will give it a try.
              Blue Voda..helping to make me actually look like I know what I'm doing lol..
              It's people like you Vasili, who make this site the greatest around.
              Thank you
              katt

Comment

That was very sweet of you, Katt. You are more than welcome.....just giving back just as I too have received, that's all....

PS: I forgot to mention that once you set up your captcha thing, you should create a password-protcted area and simply install your Guestbook there (on a simple page?)....that way you have the protection you want, and it is what makes the password distribution process work after all. G'Night!

Comment

Working...
                X