This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JOOMLA Resources

Trying to make it easier (and to trim the redundant questions), I thought it would be helpful to list many of the new and improved resources for JOOMLA, one of the most robust website foundations available, which is FREE for VodaHost customers and loadable via the Fantastico! utility in each Control Panel.

Joomla has so many integrated functions already included or easily added that is just makes sense to have a go with using it! With a built-in shopping cart with numerous configurations, forums, classifieds, blogs, interactive modules, and a seemingkly endless list of plug-ins available, I think you will find Joomla most accommodating indeed!

OFFICIAL JOOMLA WEBSITE This is the place to start to learn all what can be done.

JOOMLA SUPPORT FORUMS The is THE place to find all the answers to your questions, from installation to design.

JOOMLANCER The Joomla marketplace, where you can post your project to have a Pro bid on it to make everything perfect for you.

JOOMLA USER MANUAL For those of you who prefer to print out a User Manual, this is the latest Official PDF release.
    If you want to purchase a comprehensive Manual (which contributes to Joomla evolution and charity also), select this link.

When it comes to templates, there are so many available for free that when you get there, it is simple to re-format any of them yourself, so I would not even suggest buying one at all. If you ever get stuck, get with one of the many Pro's in Joomlancers to do your job at extremely affordable rates .... you'll see!
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Re: JOOMLA Resources

I am intrested in this ..
    anyone on bv using it? ..if so may I see your site..
    Thanks John

Comment

John!
      Simply go to the Official Site via the link above and browse the many different applications people have used Joomla as solutions! Find inspiration, and imagine how you can use it to fulfill your requirements.....

Hosting here at VH is "ipso facto"!

Comment

joomla has upgraded to 1.5,i would like to install it but am only offered an older version.Can voda plz update the auto install to 1.5

Comment

Originally posted by Trivium View Post
          joomla has upgraded to 1.5,i would like to install it but am only offered an older version.Can voda plz update the auto install to 1.5
          Your name says it all...LOL

Since Joomla is Open Source and you can download freely from the home site, why don't you simply install the newest stable version 1.5 manually according to the very detailed video Tutorials and printable Manual????

Comment

i have downloaded it but am kinda confused as to how to install it to vodahost,any help would be appreciated

Comment

You will need to properly prepare yourself, so not only will you be capable of doing an install correctly but once you understand the process you will be better able to even use the tool itself: there are basic conmputer precepts that build upon one another, so your learning curve directly dictates your skill set.

I would use the links in the first post in this thread to explore the Joomla forum to read up on all the various aspects of installation that have cause many others frustration, so you will be able to not make the same mistakes.

I would suggest that you then READ until you understand the clear instructions on the Official website on how to download and install it....and if you have a technical "emergency" to register with and submit a ticket to their Technical Support for a solution to your unique issue.

And, like any product downloaded and meant to be installed, once you un-zip the file you will find a READ ME and another ".txt" file that contains the full set of instructions: follow them precisely and in sequence.

You will need to install both the operational template files with all the syles and elements in your public_html/ directory as well as properly set up and install to your MySql Database.

If you really mess up, simply post a job in Joomlancers to have a pro install it for you (probably around $30-50).

You will find out (maybe too late) that there are far more free templates and add-ons for version 1.0.14 than there are for 1.5.x, and far more "pros" to rely upon to bail you out also. To me, having to pay 3x as much for a smaller selection of templates and to have less referential resources to guide me is not worth the little difference between versions 1 and 1.5, but then that is my opinion. Maybe you saw something in 1.5 that you simply required, I don't know...

You really need to follow the directions supplied, and to expect more assistance from the Joomla resources than here in VodaTalk...the manual install is not a VodaHost issue, is it?

Comment

tyvm for your reply,
                I have limited experience and am just learning alot of this stuff.I have put together a site with 1x and am satisfied so far.My only concern and main reason for wanting 1.5 is security.If you feel i'll be ok then i will take your word for it,however i could use your help in telling me if i need to do anything about my reg-globals settings. My site is http://placidplace.net/ohtresbeau/ once again ty,i am very new to all of this but am having fun so far.

Comment

Just here to help out a bit, you know.....but I am quite glad you are having FUN (the most important ingedient in the whole internet thing anyway!).

What about the "globals"?? Are you talking about the footers and stuff? If you want to remove them, that's easy: copy down a copy of the "index" file, and using Notebook, open it and edit out the footers (like "Joomla this" and "designed by this person") and then FTP it back up....it automatically overwrites the copy on the server.....other than than, "globals" like navigation and "Content" vs. "info" pages (etc.) are done in the AdminPanel.

If you refer to the global "registration" settings (security), I would spend a few hours scanning the Contributions sectiuon, looking for specific add-ons that make sense to enhance the process that you are focusing on. They, too, are easily added, and can do much to allay your concerns!

Comment

hiya,this is what i ws refering to
                    Following PHP Server Settings are not optimal for Security and it is recommended to change them:
                    • PHP register_globals setting is `ON` instead of `OFF`
                    Please check the Official Joomla! Server Security post for more information.
                    I have refered to the post but just wanna make sure my server,you,settings are correct for security

also,i would like to say tyvm again for the kind responces,im newb

Comment

VodaHost operates and maintains server security above the standards mentioned ..... please remember to seek detailed Support and Discussion in the Official Joomla Forums and not be dependant on VodaTalk!

Comment

This is a common problem with shared hosting, some people need register_globals on, and some others need it of.
                        Solution:

You need to create a local php.ini that will overide the default php ini and will set register_globals to off, in your Joomla folder. To do this, please copy the following code. Open Notepad, paste the code, and Save As (select File type: All Files) modify_php_ini.php .

Now upload this file to your Joomla folder. Open your browser, and type in the address bar:

http://www.yourdomain.com/joomla_fol...fy_php_ini.php .

As soon as you do so, the script will read the default php.ini file, it will modify the register_globals value to OFF, and will copy the entire, modified file, in your Joomla folder, thus setting register_globals Off ONLY for the specific folder.

Code:

<!-- /* SCRIPT NAME: modify_php_ini.php */ -->
                        <?php
                        // Put all the php.ini parameters you want to change below. One per line.
                        // Follow the example format $parm[] = "parameter = value";
                        $parm[] = "register_globals = Off";
                        $parm[] = "session.use_trans_sid = 0";
                        // full unix path - location of the default php.ini file at your host
                        // you can determine the location of the default file using phpinfo()
                        $defaultPath = '/usr/local/lib/php.ini';
                        // full unix path - location where you want your custom php.ini file
                        //$customPath = "/path/php.ini";
                        $customPath = "php.ini";
                        // nothing should change below this line.
                        if (file_exists($defaultPath)) {
                        $contents = file_get_contents($defaultPath);
                        $contents .= "\n\n; MODIFIED THE FOLLOWING USER PARAMETERS:\n\n";
                        foreach ($parm as $value) $contents .= $value . " \n";
                        if (file_put_contents($customPath,$contents)) {
                        if (chmod($customPath,0600)) $message = "<b>PHP.INI File modified and copied.</b>";
                        else $message = "PROCCESS ERROR - Failed to update php.ini.";
                        } else {
                        $message = "PROCCESS ERROR - Failed to write php.ini file.";
                        }
                        } else {
                        $message = "PROCCESS ERROR - php.ini file not found.";
                        }
                        echo $message;
                        ?>
                        Navaldesign
                        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Hi
                          The changes to the php.ini file seem to have worked and created a local ini file in the Joomla folder.

How does Joomla see these changes as my system info suggests register_globals is still 'on'?

site thefc.retailmotorlaw.co.uk

Many thanks

Comment

If register_globals have been turned to off, it would seem improbable that Joomla still sees them as ON. Are you sure you made everything ok ? Run phpinfo in the Joomla folder to make sure.
                            Navaldesign
                            Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

There should be a link with the message to the Joomla Forums; click on that. I'm still running 1.13 and I think I read in their forum that admin can show the error message even though there's no problem.

Steve
                              Steve S.
                              http://golftechs.net

Comment

Working...
                              X