Top and Side Borders???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top and Side Borders???

I will try to ask this the best I can. On other sites, when you go from page to page, notice how the top border and sides border(navigation bar) doesn't really change with the page. I hope this makes sense to someone. It's like the contents on the page changes, but the top (where you might have your logo and the side where your navigation bar is) never changes. Someone told me they were called top/side/bottom borders. Does anyone know how to do this or maybe I'm missing something in BV? I've looked in the forums and can't find any mention of this.
    Thanks
    Lisa
    www.justtoolsinc.com

Re: Top and Side Borders???

Hi Lisa,

There are many different ways to do this, I can only give you one of those. I use this on all my sites and it works best for me:

Create your first page (Your home Page)

This would include your banner, links and your home page content.

Make sure you are 100% satisfied that it is completed then save that page as 'index'

Then to create your next page, once you have saved your index page, go into 'File' then click 'Save As' and name it whatever your next page is to be called, for example 'products'.

Now you have exactly the same page copied over to your next page.

You then just remove all the content from your first page that you don't want and replace it with the content you do want. Thus leaving your banners, footers, and links all in place.

Hope that makes sense.
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

hello: you can also use i frames and there is a great thread here:

you can also go to the search and find a complete thread for i frames.
      mrmagoo144
      www.videopostcards.info
      mrmagoo144
      www.videopostcards.info

Comment

Originally posted by mrmagoo144 View Post
        hello: you can also use i frames and there is a great thread here:

you can also go to the search and find a complete thread for i frames.
        mrmagoo144
        www.videopostcards.info
        Hi,

I tend to disagree with this, lol. The I-frame is old technology for the purpose of headers, menus, footers, etc. The search engines also do not like the i-frame that much.

Rather use the php method by Navaldesign. Click here. The one Marincky gave you is one method. The php is another.
        Bless you
        Tom

Comment

I use the same method as Marincky, but if - like your own site - you already have pages published, you will need to adjust each page manually. In your case it won't take too long because you don't have many pages and you don't have too many page elements either. Here's how:

Make sure you have everything exactly where you want it on your index page.
          Click on each separate element one by one, and write down their x and y coordinates (bottom right of screen).
          On each page that you want to match up with your index page,, move the elements to match the correct coordinates. The easiest way to do this is to click on an element to select it, then move it by using the up/down left/right arrows on your keyboard.

Comment

Hi, you have the type of site that will grow into quite a large index with all the categories that you will sell. I would personally go the php route & have a master index at the top of the page & a sub category menu down the left side for each of the main categories. I think it will be a real pain & a lot of work to have to change so many pages when you want to add another category. Where as using the php style to will only have to change 1 or 2 pages max. Also with using this style, you can change styles/boarders with the change of just 1 or 2 pages & create new pages to add to your site 10 times quicker, as you don't have to do all the repetitive work like boarders/menus/headers & footers on all pages.

Good luck.
            Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi Ramsey,\

If I do it this way (side/top borders), which seems the easiest for me because I really don't have a clue, every time I make a change to my navigation bar for instance, will it automatically make the changes on all the navigation bars.

Thanks,
              Lisa

Originally posted by Marincky View Post
              Hi Lisa,

There are many different ways to do this, I can only give you one of those. I use this on all my sites and it works best for me:

Create your first page (Your home Page)

This would include your banner, links and your home page content.

Make sure you are 100% satisfied that it is completed then save that page as 'index'

Then to create your next page, once you have saved your index page, go into 'File' then click 'Save As' and name it whatever your next page is to be called, for example 'products'.

Now you have exactly the same page copied over to your next page.

You then just remove all the content from your first page that you don't want and replace it with the content you do want. Thus leaving your banners, footers, and links all in place.

Hope that makes sense.

Comment

Hi Lisa,

Unfortunatley not. Now I now George (Naval) came up with a fantastic idea to get around this but my sites have been around for some time and a lot of them are over 500 pages and so I don't want to change all that again! But if you are starting fairly afresh then it may be worth you learning how to do this.

I am currently changing the design on www.ukweddingstore.co.uk and this site has just under 700 pages and growing and so any slight change takes me around 6 to 8 months to complete! So from that warning you may want to learn how to do it Naval's way...

One sec I will see if I can find the link for you to this post.
                Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Here you go:

Comment

Hi Lisa / Ramsey,

As I posted above I tend to disagree with this, lol. The I-frame is old technology for the purpose of headers, menus, footers, etc. The search engines also do not like the i-frame that much. Ask Bethers, she will tell you all about se's.

Rather use the php method by Navaldesign. Click here.

Once you have learnt the php method, changes will be as easy as stated by Ramsey. Just as easy with the Iframes, if not easier.
                    Bless you
                    Tom

Comment

Tom,

That was the actual link from Naval I meant to find!! Sorry, my mistake, but yes totally agree with you Iframes are not a good route and I never use them.

Apologies Lisa if you click on the wrong link first!!! But Tom has the correct info in the above post.

Comment

No problem Ramsey.
                        Bless you
                        Tom

Comment

Hi Ramsey,

Well, I tried to follow the directions given. When it says publish, and I do, where does it go? I hope this doesn't sound crazy. And then, I don't understand how the menu/navigation bar and html box connect together somehow. I am really confused. I already have about 30 pages done, but have only published 3 and would really like to do this before I publish the rest. Do I need to delete my navigation bars on all these pages? If someone could please explain this to me a little more in detail. I really am trying to get it but it is just not clicking.

Thanks again,
                          Lisa

Originally posted by Marincky View Post
                          Tom,

That was the actual link from Naval I meant to find!! Sorry, my mistake, but yes totally agree with you Iframes are not a good route and I never use them.

Apologies Lisa if you click on the wrong link first!!! But Tom has the correct info in the above post.

Comment

Hi Ramsey,

Well, I tried to follow the directions given. When it says publish, and I do, where does it go? I hope this doesn't sound crazy. And then, I don't understand how the menu/navigation bar and html box connect together somehow. I am really confused. I already have about 30 pages done, but have only published 3 and would really like to do this before I publish the rest. Do I need to delete my navigation bars on all these pages? If someone could please explain this to me a little more in detail. I really am trying to get it but it is just not clicking.

Thanks again,
                            Lisa

Comment

Working...
                            X