really silly question for u please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• really silly question for u please

i am not that good with computers, they werent around when i was at school.

this is probably really obvious to everyonebut, not me.

i just got a new computer, cause the laptop was running out of memory, what is the best way to move my site files over, i assume i can cable connect or save to a disc, but is it either/or does it matter

thanks, sorry i am stupid

Re: really silly question for u please

Whichever way works best for you :)
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Like Bethers says whatever works for you, but be sure and bring all your images and things with you into the same files too at the same time to the same place on your new computer .. MyDocuments/BlueVoda/folder ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

thank you, i am really scared i am going to stuff it all up

i have had both of them connected wireless to each other but am way not adept to how that stuff works

will cross my fingers, worse comes to worse i still have it on the old one i spose, maybe it would be better to lose it all and start over, lol, dont think i could but

once again thanks, without you guys i would neveer have been able to learn all this stuff, and still be playing online spades or scrabble

jason

Comment

Hi .. if you do have both of them connected together, you could create a file sharing folder, then you just place all the files in the shared folder and they will show up on your other computer .. then you take them from the shared file and send to My Documents - this works real well and quickly too - setting up a shared folder is a bit tricky to configure, that is the only thing .. but I could give you help with that if you liked

I think you will do okay .. like you say, you have your files so you can't mess anything up really ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
          02036089024 / United Kingdom
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by LadyEye View Post
            Hi .. if you do have both of them connected together, you could create a file sharing folder, then you just place all the files in the shared folder and they will show up on your other computer .. then you take them from the shared file and send to My Documents - this works real well and quickly too - setting up a shared folder is a bit tricky to configure, that is the only thing .. but I could give you help with that if you liked

I think you will do okay .. like you say, you have your files so you can't mess anything up really ..
            I have tried doing this with mine and my partners PC as we both run off two ethernet cables from our router. But for the life of me I couldn't get this sharing folder thing to work! We were going to go out and buy one of these file sharing hardware thingys that sit inbetween our desks but they are about £200. Would love to be able to set this file share thing up though.
            Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Ramsey
              Try turning your firewall off. If you find that you can transfer files with it off, that means you need to change your firewall settings. Alternatively, if you are using a wireless router it will have a hardware firewall built in, negating the need for a software firewall in the first place.

acejase
              If you want a no-tears way of transferring files, plug a memory stick into your old pc and drag the files on to it. Then plug your memory stick into your new computer and drag them off. Job done.

Comment

thanks guys, think i will take Aj's advice cause i dont like tears, will go get a memory stick thing first thing in the morning

the file sharing thing is way out of my depth but thanks anyway, i dont even really know how i got it set up for the old comp to go through the new one to wirelessly print, way beyond me.

can i just put everything onto that stick, and if both comps stuff up majorly, that stick will still hold the information forever? so i could if it does, use it to backup my comp and site regularly?

Comment

Yes, I use memory sticks to backup regularly. And whether them or something else - you should do regular backups :)
                  Beth
                  A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                  SEO - The Basics

Comment

thanks all worked well with the memory stick

was a bit scared as it came with no instructions, figured it out but

and i have stickytaped it to my monitor so i dont lose it, lol

thanks again

Comment

Working...
                    X