Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help... Trying to rebuild my life after computer crash...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help... Trying to rebuild my life after computer crash...

Hello everyone.
    I do hope that somebody can give me some guidance. I have had the worst thing possible happen to me my main computer crashed and I have lost so much information from Blue Voda website building program. I was very naive (and lazy) to have not backed up all my information on a daily basis. Luckily I have managed to retrieve all of my work info using memory sticks etc. I have all the templates of pages from my site (that was backed up) but I have lost all my pictures. Is there any way of copying them from my public_html file back into My Documents so that I can make small adjustments to my website.
    I would truly appreciate any help that you can give me.
    Stuart
    P.S
    If there is anybody reading this that has not backed up all of their computer for a while DO IT NOW !! TOMORROW NEVER COMES!!
    www.affordableboilers.com

Re: Please help... Trying to rebuild my life after computer crash...

Yes there are plenty of ways. You could copy the files through Blue FTP or through the file manager in Control Panel, or you could simply go to the website url as a visitor, right-click the image and choose 'save picture as'. Or in BV, you could open a new file 'from html' and download the entire page straight into BV.

Comment

Thank you for your quick response AJ113. The problem that I have with visiting my site and copy/pasting is that most of my website is "Offline" while I was in the process of updating prices etc so I can't access the pictures that way. I am sorry to appear such a computer idiot but I don't understand how to do it the other ways that you suggested.
      Thank you for your continued help.
      Stuart

Comment

No probs, let's try file manager. Do you know how to get into control panel?

Comment

Yes I know how to get into the control panel, and I know the File manager icon.

Comment

Originally posted by Stulew View Post
            Thank you for your quick response AJ113. The problem that I have with visiting my site and copy/pasting is that most of my website is "Offline" while I was in the process of updating prices etc so I can't access the pictures that way. I am sorry to appear such a computer idiot but I don't understand how to do it the other ways that you suggested.
            Thank you for your continued help.
            Stuart
            Are you working in soho? Not sure what you mean by "offline" - or if you are using blue voda and you are referring to the fact that you had not published these pages as of yet, well these images won't be in your file manager to find then either .. ???? If they are not appearing on your website when you type in your domain name, then you won't find them there unless you uploaded those separately and never did publish the pages ???

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
            02036089024 / United Kingdom
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

I think a career in Soho would be easier than this computer stuff... I published my website and then had to change a lot of prices so rather than advertise the wrong prices I added another page that I published saying the website was "Offline" for maintenance. Then my computer crashed so the pictures etc are still uploaded but are not dispalyed as part of my website. I opened up my Blue Voda website builder to change the prices and the words etc that I originally typed are there but there are no pictures/photos because they were not backed up before my computer crashed.
              Does that explain it ? or is it back to Soho for me..

Comment

okay .. sorry about that, you had another option there, this is good news then, your pictures will be there .. so continue on with downloading your images from your control panel/filemanager ..

You might find it easy to just go into your public_html folder and locate the images with the file extension .gif or .jpg - and there will be a menu on the top right of your page and you will notice show file - you can click that, you will get a view to see if it is an image you want and you can also right click on this and save it to your computer to reinsert - save it in your blue voda folder on your computer ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Ladyeye...
                  Many thanks I will give that a go and report back.

Comment

Heh, Ladyeye beat me tot it. Do as the lady says Stulew and you'll have your images back. Just one minor addition, when you locate your file in the public_html folder you will have to click on the file itself in order for the menu to appear in the top right.

Comment

AJ & ladyeye...
                      I have just tried it with 2 pics and it works fine.
                      Once again many thanks to you both for all your help.

Kindest regards
                      Stuart

Comment

And please let me repeat what I said a few posts ago to everybody. If you are reading this and it has been a while since you backed up all that important info on your PC (Including the Outlook .pst file) please do it now because it has truly taken me 3 weeks to s****e together everything that I had from memory sticks and storage disks and even that was not perfect.
                        Learn a lesson from this "Old Fool"

Comment

Glad you are able to rescue this Stu and yes AJ you were leading Stu down the right path, I was thinking they weren't going to be there though .lol . it all works out well! And yes to the advice about back ups, but it's still a great deal of work and inconvenience for sure .

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                          X