Alternate Text - Firefox and IE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate Text - Firefox and IE

I have put alt text on all my pictures - it shows up in IE but when checking Firefox - the text shows up as the pictures load (in the background) but not after they are loaded is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
    Ann
    www.MovingOn1.com - My Travel
    www.BeadedCustomDesigns.com - Jewelry
    www.FantasyManorArtStudio.com - Leather Art

Re: Alternate Text - Firefox and IE

Hi Ann

I just tried to connect to your www.beadedcustomdesigns-

I got a "Page Not Found"

Your URL needs a ".com"

www.beadedcustomdesigns.com

What do you mean by "alt text all my pictures" ? What does it do?
    I can still right click and save as your pictures.
    www.siapamoyanganda.com/
    Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
    State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

oops forgot the .com part on the signature corrected now when you place the cursor over a picture it should give you a description of the picture in text - it does in IE but not in Firefox
      Ann

Comment

Ann,
        It's normal. The purpose of alt tags are for when pictures don't show - so FF is actually using it that way. If someone was browsing without images, for example, the text would show. Or if for some reason the image doesn't load the text will show. It's actually (IMO) better than the mouse-over - because the text is there when it's needed. But for people who build their sites, expecting people to read that text by mouse-over in IE - they are using the alt attribute incorrectly, and those browsing on FF won't get that text.

The purpose is not for when you mouse over it - but for when it's needed - and the different browsers do it differently.
        Beth
        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thanks Beth - wondered what I'd done - as I don't usually use Firefox but am trying it make things look okay on it too. So much to learn.
          Ann
          Ann

Comment

Hi Ann,
            It doesn't matter whether picture or text loads first.

The purpose of alt text are.

Is for the visually impaired whom may have pictures turned off and may be using an screen magnifier
            Or a text reader etc
            Also search engine cannot read pictures but can read text put this to your advantage by using some keywords.

For an insignificant image like a blue box or something just use a space alt=" ">

Describe a bush

Answer
            1 A bush.
            2 A garden centre alt text A six-month old bush we grew at our nursery.

3 A landscape maintenance company alt text After three to four years this bush will need pruning twice a year we can do this for you in our gardening maintenance programme.

Hope this helps.
            Mark

www.grimeforce.co.uk

Comment

Mark,
              She knew that - she was questioning why it looked different in FF than IE - and that was already explained.

And using the alt as you just did for a landscape maintenance company is NOT the correct way. You explained what alt text is - then you didn't use it to your explanation. That sentence would be great under the picture - but is NOT telling someone visually impaired what they can't see - and it's not using your keywords which should be in it.
              Beth
              A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
              SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
              X