X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password Question

Hi,

My 10 year old is building a website for a history project and we (her technically challenged parents) are trying to support her. Her domain is www.nhdproject-evan.com, we have received our confirmation-- the welcome letter with the control panel login, however we are certainly confused about a designated ip address (don't think we paid for this). We are total doorknobs when it comes to this, but she has managed to create a great starter website using blue voda and we would like to help her get it up and running properly. Thanks for taking our question. Hope I have supplied enough information to receive help!

Re: Password Failure

A domain name is just glorified label or face for IP address. Your domain name has what are called "Name servers" which points to the ip address (they actually point to another domain name which points to the ip address, but ignore that fact for simplicity sake).

So you can access your website both with the IP address (with a little extra added to the end of it), or the domain name.

You mainly just need the IP address for when you publish using BlueVoda.

I hope that clarifies some things, if not just post again and well go from there

Edit:

I assume that because you said you don't remember paying for the ip you remember seeing somewhere that ip address's cost money. That is only for dedicated ip addresses.

The server is setup with a shared ip address that everyone uses who has their website on the server. The dedicated ip is an ip address that is added to a users account which is only used by one of their websites. This is mainly needed for websites that process payment or secure information. But to answer, you didn't purchase a dedicated ip, that is the shared ip

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

That does help clarify, thank you so much. Helps me to at least attempt to know what I am talking about.

Okay, she is at the stage where she is ready to publish. She is trying to publish and keeps receiving the 12014 error stating that her password is incorrect. Also, the version we have is 9.1.0.

The information we entered was her username and her password. Should we have a specific ip address that we know to use from the drop down menu, because we don't.

I purchased Vodahost monthly billing with domain for her. I just want to make sure I have done the right things to receive the service that she needs.

Thank you for helping me.

ETA: I just saw your edit, so I take that to mean that I am okay with what I purchased, she has all the necessary to tools to publish? I am very sorry, but I feel like a complete idiot, my 6th grader knows more than me about this...I am trying to help her wrap it up, so again pls. excuse me if my questions seem excessively stupid :~)

Comment

Your correct that you have all you need to publish. The ip address that was emailed to you is the same ip address you need to select in the drop down menu.

Register/Login Script
        Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Okay...you have helped me tremendously, the problem is that I have never had an IP address emailed to me, perhaps that is one of the reasons I cannot sign in. My account shows that I am fully paid but perhaps I am still processing, even though I have rec'd my welcome email with my password.

I guess I will need to submit a ticket for this to discover the problem.

Thank you for helping me to understand the process and knowing that we are on the right track. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

If you positive you didn't receive it (check your spam box) submit a support ticket here..

And ask them to resend you account information

Register/Login Script

Comment

Watdaflip,

...I checked the spam box and there it sat. I got everything else, but I guess when an email came in from "billing" my mail automatically filtered it out.

Thank you for helping me so much, my daughter will be excited to give this a whack tomorrow!!!

Thank you for your patience.

Comment

Working...
              X