Fonts on my website.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fonts on my website.

Hi, I have recently discovered that when someone does not have the same fonts on their system they then are not able to view a document how I would like them to unless it was changed to pdf. This problem has now been sorted thanks to the wonderful people here. Now I am getting frustrated because I do not realise that if they do not have that font on their computer that they would also view the website differently. I was at my mum's and decided to show her something on my site. To my disgust the headings on each page was plain text and I can tell you I did not like what I was seeing at all. I also received a manual order form from a customer and discovered they too were seeing in plain text. Is it possible to do something to the site headings so that everybody see's it the nice way or is this just something that I have to deal with??? Thank you, Leanne

Re: Not seeing website text as I put it

Originally posted by willows View Post
    Hi, I have recently discovered that when someone does not have the same fonts on their system they then are not able to view a document how I would like them to unless it was changed to pdf. This problem has now been sorted thanks to the wonderful people here. Now I am getting frustrated because I do not realise that if they do not have that font on their computer that they would also view the website differently. I was at my mum's and decided to show her something on my site. To my disgust the headings on each page was plain text and I can tell you I did not like what I was seeing at all. I also received a manual order form from a customer and discovered they too were seeing in plain text. Is it possible to do something to the site headings so that everybody see's it the nice way or is this just something that I have to deal with??? Thank you, Leanne
    Sorry just read something a couple of lines down by jp04. Does this mean that I should be having my heading in plain text? I just saw a link in jp's answer where they have suggested the common fonts. If this is true I am really disappointed because I have used Edwardian on all my pages as the heading and going to plain I feel will really change the whole appearance. Let me know your views

Comment

Re: Fonts on my website.

The way a website displays on a person's computer will depend on many factors; type of computer, type of browser and the individual settings chosen by the user. If you chose a font that is not supported by browsers, your website could end up rendering in a string of zeros and ones instead of words. When developing a website, many people will only consider how a website looks on their own personal computer. You should only use web friendly standard fonts.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi Leanne,

As VodaHost has said it is not just the users computor but also their browser that will affect how your site is viewed. If all that happens is they default to Times New Roman you're lucky. Some fonts are viewed as larger when converted which can result in misalignment or worse.
        I have found this site to be very useful.
        There is a way in BV to convert text to view as an image which will 'lock' it the way you want for all users. Highlight your text, right click. When the text properties box comes up check the tickie where it says 'View text as image" and you are done. Please note: your text will display as an image but will not be treated as an image before publishing. Therefore you may not assign an alt tag as one normally would in order to sortof 'replace'
        it for search engines. It will be as if your text does not exist for se bots.
        Therefore this is something you would want to use very sparingly.
        As far as I know there really is no satisfactory alternative to making sure you use web-friendly fonts.
        Hope this helps....
        Ken

If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys. Orson Wells

Comment

Just use web friendly fonts. That takes care of the majority of the problem :)
          Beth
          A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

Originally posted by Bethers View Post
            Just use web friendly fonts. That takes care of the majority of the problem :)
            Thanks Beth, sorry to trouble you but you don't happen to know which ones are web friendly do you? I am happy to adjust them if this is the case.
            Leanne :)

Comment

It's pretty easy if you just perform a web search for web friendly fonts ..

but here is a link for you ..

A list with the common fonts to all versions of Windows and their Mac equivalents, useful when creating websites.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              1-302-283-3777 North America / International
              02036089024 / United Kingdom
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by LadyEye View Post
                It's pretty easy if you just perform a web search for web friendly fonts ..

but here is a link for you ..

http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html
                Thank you.

Comment

I know it limits creativity - but the web friendly fonts are also the ones that it's usually easiest for all people to read. There are many advantages to sticking with the "norm" on some things :)

Good luck.
                  Beth
                  A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                  SEO - The Basics

Comment

Originally posted by Bethers View Post
                    I know it limits creativity - but the web friendly fonts are also the ones that it's usually easiest for all people to read. There are many advantages to sticking with the "norm" on some things :)

Good luck.
                    Thanks Beth. I am very slowly getting used to it. Hated it when I first did the change but I am slowly coming around :(

Comment

Working...
                    X