posting book length material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• posting book length material

I have been trying to place an e-book online at my Blue Voda website www.bedfordgaol.com. Attemps to paste entire chapters or long sections of a chapter led to many mistakes - changes in font and color as well as deletion of some text. My computer assistant requested some help on this and was told to try Note Pad - that didn't work.

Earlier lengthy material was posted successfully one paragraph at a time - this was very time-consuming. How can book-length material be posted?

Since the last suggestion did not work, can I suggest that someone actually experiment with this before making suggestions?

I have looked at the tutorial and it works for short items only.

Thanks,
    Joe K.
    Last edited by Joe.Keysor; 02-25-2008, 08:38 PM. Reason: afterthought

Re: posting book length material

Hi Joe,
    1. Convert your document to PDF.
    2. In BV, click the Plug-In button. Make the plug-in shape the width you want, e.g. 500 px wide and say for example 600 px long.
    3. Double-click the plug-in shape.
    4. In the properties window, browse to and select the pdf document.
    5. Click OK.
    6. You can preview the effect if you want.
    7. Publish your page and test.

I have just tested a 134 page document and it works perfectly. the only drawback with such a large document containing loads of graphics, is that it loads slowly. You should consider breaking your book up in shorter separate files, maybe per chapter.

Then follow above instructions for each chapter and preferably each page on its own html page.

I hope this is what you are after.
    Bless you
    Tom

Comment

hi and thanks for your help - my consultant and I will try something tonight and post something further in the next few days if there is a problem - or, if it works, we'll post that too.

Joe K.

Comment

Hello Tom,

We tried following your instructions last night but for some reason ran into difficulty. The document was converted to PDF. Then we - or I should say Lin, my smart and beautiful wife - clicked the plug-in button. After selectng a width and length, she double-clicked the plug-in shape. This opened the properties window, and she selected the pdf document. Then she clicked OK but nothing happened. We tried this repeatedly, and selected different options in the properties window without knowing what they were, just to see.

Where did we go wrong? Could it be that we selected the wrong length? The document (chapter 1) is 54 pages, 14 pt. type, 1 & 1/2 line spacing.

We look forward to your advice and to seeing where we went wrong.

Thanks again,
        Joe K.

Comment

Hi Joe,

You must preview it to see the result.
          Bless you
          Tom

Comment

Hi Joe,
            I don't see this on your site yet. What's up? Have you tried?
            Bless you
            Tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your interest. I have been travelling - returning from vacation - and my computer expert has been busy and won't be able to try it until next week. She or I will get back to the forum and let you know what happens.

Joe

Comment

Hello again,

Thanks for being patient. I guess it will be another few days before we can get to this - we should have waited a bit. Lin has another final exam to prepare for.

Joe

Comment

Hello Tom,

My wife has been busy with a lot of things and I don't feel it is right for me to be bugging her about my site at this time. I am glad to do what I can by myself and can convert the text to pdf but am having to start from scratch.

My wife and I are temporarily living in different parts of the world pending the resolution of passport and other issues, but I have found a consultant who will assist me with this - I am not computer literate.

We'll do what we can and get back to you in a few days if need be.

Thanks again,

Joe K.

You don't need to answer this now.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe.Keysor View Post
                    I have been trying to place an e-book online at my Blue Voda website www.bedfordgaol.com. Attemps to paste entire chapters or long sections of a chapter led to many mistakes - changes in font and color as well as deletion of some text. My computer assistant requested some help on this and was told to try Note Pad - that didn't work.

Earlier lengthy material was posted successfully one paragraph at a time - this was very time-consuming. How can book-length material be posted?

Since the last suggestion did not work, can I suggest that someone actually experiment with this before making suggestions?

I have looked at the tutorial and it works for short items only.

Thanks,
                    Joe K.

add one paragraph at a time, this way it will be easier to format and edit.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                    02036089024 / United Kingdom
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
                    X