Display inventory Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Display inventory Problem

Hello -- I've been asking questions in several spots here to try to be better informed before I sign up and take on this project. Thanks to all for the answers and help. I hope this falls in this catagory - I looked but didnt find another catagory that seemed to apply.

I have designed a 5 page site. I'm staying very basic - Very Little Glitz - in an effort to get a site up and useable, that I can edit and improve easily myself on a frequent basis with the Knowledge I have.

I recently retired from 31+ years in retail and I now sell my items on other established websites. I dont believe I could ever hope to attract the volume of lookers and buyers that Amazon - Gemm and other large sites can attract. I want to use my site primarily to lead buyers and long time retail customers to my stuff at those sites. 4 of the 5 pages are together and working well. I'm having trouble with page 5. I have a lot of Odd - Promotional - strange display type items that are not able to be sold on those sites and I would like to offer those on my page 5 ( Cool Stuff ). - I would like to have buyers contact me with the item number for postage rates/options. I'm not up for a shopping cart /commerce system at this time.

I have my list of those items in an Excel Spreadsheet. Heres an image of what a few lines of that sheet looks like.

When I save it as a Webpage, it appears in IE in an acceptable form for me. ( Except one Column. )
    Here is what that Excel Spreadsheet looks like when saved as an IE webpage.

MY PROBLEM --
    The column that dislays the URL address to the Photo Link truncates at the specified column width. Wordwrap in excel works only if there are spaces in the text. Thus leaving an Invalid Photo URL. If I widen the Column width to hold the single line text of the Photo URL, it displays fine but uses way too much of my website page width.
    This file would be updated and added to almost every day, so I'd like to keep the process all in the worksheet if possible.

MY QUESTION --
    Is there a way to display my Excel Spreadsheet as Above and yet somehow have the URL to the photo display - or a button or Thumbnail ??
    Is there something I dont know about - or some direction I should look to keep it simple and still allow the photo to be seen/ or URL Valid ?
    I feel I'm so close to success with this. But dont know where to go from here to correct this

PROBLEM AND QUESTION #2 about same issue - When I paste my formatted IE Page above into my BV text area all formatting disappears. It now appears as one long text string. It appears as-
    "Item No. Type Artist Description Photo URL Price Weight with Packaging 1 Program Wrestling Program 1950 Amarillo Texas Weekly Wrestling Program featuring Photos, Lineups and Great Ads from a time gone by. http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f1...50Cummings.jpg $6.95 3 oz 2 Display Iron Maiden Counter Display -- Holds 12 Cds -- Great image of Eddie - Issued for the Somewhere in Time Release - Used as a Counter Display in a Retails store but still on Nice Condition $15.00 2 Lb 3 Record AC/DC A Rare European Pressing - A 7" Picture disc in the Shape of a Fly - Side A is Danger - side B is Back in Business http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ACDCFly001.jpg $38.00 1LB - 1 oz 4 Shirt Frank Zappa XL T-Shirt for the Cheap Thrills release $22.00 1 Lb - 4oz 5 Poster Dead Can dance Subway Poster -- 40 X 60 -- Same image as is on the Self Titled Release -- Minor Edge wrinkles $14.00 1 Lb - Priority Mail to USA Only 6 7 8 9"

Thanks - Hope I'm clear as to my stated goal. If I can explain anything further, Please ask - I'll be happy to try. I'm just at a loss of where to look to correct my error/problem and end up with something simple and maintainable.

Re: Display inventory Problem

Hi Mstuf

About adding an Excel Spread Sheet.. Look into these past threads.
    About question #2.. Creating the text as a Word document then copying and inserting as text into the page using web builder.. Will give you the opportunity to move the text around as you wish.. Then you can add photos via the image tool.
    Hope that helps…Doug

Comment

Re: Display inventory Problem

Hello -- Thanks for the Reply -

The Past Threads netted no results -- but I did search further but the threads mostly seem to be concerned mainly with interactivity - not static Display.

I tried the Word Doc and Rearranging text with the BV Software -- but doing that on a daily basis as the file approaches 200 - 300 - 400 + items would be Quite Cumbersome.

Since I dont want an interactive shopping cart system at this point and BV cant support .ASP, I have found that Saving my Excel File as a Webpage and Uploading it to my FTP Space, then creating a Button to take the Viewer to it as one of my links to visit may be the answer for now. It came with its own bag of Doorknobs to get the link to the Photo set up but I have figured it out and made it work.

Some of this my be so simple for some but for us Old Guys its all tough.

Yet another step -- Thanks for the ideas

Comment

Working...
      X