Downloading to Outlook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downloading to Outlook

I'm new to this, so please bear with me. I'm trying to get an e-mail account to download into Outlook. This is not the main account, this is an account I created for an employee with a separate user name and password. I've entered all the information into Outlook, but it keeps saying that the incoming mail serve doesn't recognize the username and/or password. I'm about to tear out my hair. Yes, I've watched all of the tutorials and they aren't helping at all. I don't know where to look or what to do and I'm ready to scream. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Downloading to Outlook

Originally posted by kbianchirossi View Post
    I'm new to this, so please bear with me. I'm trying to get an e-mail account to download into Outlook. This is not the main account, this is an account I created for an employee with a separate user name and password. I've entered all the information into Outlook, but it keeps saying that the incoming mail serve doesn't recognize the username and/or password. I'm about to tear out my hair. Yes, I've watched all of the tutorials and they aren't helping at all. I don't know where to look or what to do and I'm ready to scream. Any help would be appreciated.
    Hi Kb,
    It is exactly the same way you set your email account in cpanel but now you have to do the same for your employee. For example, if you gave him an account to manage contact@yourdomain.com then you will have to give him privileges for that particular email address through cpanel with a username and password before you can set up that account on outlook. I hope that makes sense.
    Diane
    www.smallbizunite.net

At first you don't succeed, pick yourself up and try again!

Comment

Any luck?
      Diane
      www.smallbizunite.net

Comment

You should review the post(s) made in this thread to see if the suggested methods are clearer and useful....
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Extending what Vasili had suggested in the thread he directed you to, you might need to understand that when the employee (or whom ever) is using Outlook, they need to switch between email accounts using the "Accounts" button in the standard menu bar. i.e. To send via Work address, select that account otherwise the emails will be sent via their Personal email address. A similar method of selecting accounts is used in Outlook Express.

Comment

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your responses. I've done everything I'm supposed to do in cPanel, and it was working for awhile this morning, but now we can't send e-mail from that address. I am getting an error message that says something to the effect of the server timed out waiting for a response. I ran a test message in Outlook, and everything seems to be working. It's an older version of Outlook, so I'm tempted to upgrade it and see if that solves all of the issues we seem to be having. I set my own up with absolutely no issues, but I'm using Outlook 2003, and I'm not quite sure how old his version of Outlook is. Grrr...if anyone has any further thoughts or input, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, KB.

Comment

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your responses. I've done everything I'm supposed to do in cPanel, and it was working for awhile this morning, but now we can't send e-mail from that address. I am getting an error message that says something to the effect of the server timed out waiting for a response. I ran a test message in Outlook, and everything seems to be working. It's an older version of Outlook, so I'm tempted to upgrade it and see if that solves all of the issues we seem to be having. I set my own up with absolutely no issues, but I'm using Outlook 2003, and I'm not quite sure how old his version of Outlook is. Grrr...if anyone has any further thoughts or input, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, KB.
              Hi Kb,
              Definitely take a look at the thread Vasili displayed. That is very explanatory so I am sure that will help your employee. Good luck
              Diane
              www.smallbizunite.net

Comment

Hi again,

I've done everything in outlined for me in Vasili's thread, and it's still not working (yes, I checked the spelling...). Any other ideas?

Comment

Hi again,

I've done everything in outlined for me in Vasili's thread, and it's still not working (yes, I checked the spelling...). Any other ideas?
                  I believe I may know what the problem is...Is your employee's isp the same as yours? There is a thread up explaining this but it may be that your employee may be using an isp that may require him to list there isp instead of the server isp. For example in outlook your incoming mail server will be mail.yourdomain.com and outgoing mail server will be mail.yourdomain.com. However for your employee isp may require them to use their isp. For example incoming will be mail.yourdomain.com, but the outgoing will be mail.isp.com. Does that make sense? I will check back with you but I will find the thread that lists this.

Ok here it is. Check out this thread
                  Last edited by StrictlyBusiness; 03-12-2008, 08:06 PM. Reason: adding a forum link
                  Diane
                  www.smallbizunite.net

Comment

We've got the same ISP, and mine's working whereas his isn't. I tried putting the ISP in on his Outlook just to see if it worked, and I got an error message saying that the server could not be found. Aside from actually getting someone in here to look at it or posting a series of screen shots, I'm stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by StrictlyBusiness View Post
                      I believe I may know what the problem is...Is your employee's isp the same as yours? There is a thread up explaining this but it may be that your employee may be using an isp that may require him to list there isp instead of the server isp. For example in outlook your incoming mail server will be mail.yourdomain.com and outgoing mail server will be mail.yourdomain.com. However for your employee isp may require them to use their isp. For example incoming will be mail.yourdomain.com, but the outgoing will be mail.isp.com. Does that make sense? I will check back with you but I will find the thread that lists this.

Ok here it is. Check out this thread
                      http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/ema...-my-email.html
                      NO...that does not make sense, nor would it be applicable.

Outlook 2003 is the best, most current version out there: 2005 and 2007 are versions that have actually been "downgraded" to appear more "user friendly" but are actually less versatile and less stable: they removed the abi.ity for Word to be the editor of many email formats, and eliminated the ability to create HTML emails, opting for Plan and Rich text formats instead. Anyone who does a lot of business-oriented email knows that HTML formatting allows you to communicate with more images and web-friendly links than the others ... stick with 2003.

Back to the issue at hand: has the copy of Outlook been registered yet? If not, it is not "activated" and will remain inoperable until unlocked.
                      You all need to understand how Outlook works, I think --- just like using BV to publish a page, it is merely a device to hook up to the server, which when asked will provide a valid User Name and Password to connect with the server to retrieve emails .. and to send, it merely sends the emails back to the same server prefaced by the access info to allow the server itself to process the email as expected. It has NOTHING to do with IP addresses, or anything else.
                      It MAY have something to do with each users connection, but it is not "regulated" by any ISP/Internet Service Provider (the ones responsible for initial connection to the internet). They, by law, cannot filter, charcterize, or "handle" email in any way shape or form: they merely transfer data through the connection you pay them to provide.

Large emails (1mb or larger) may pose particular problems according to the ISP connection you are paying for. So will the type of connection: dial-up is notoriously bad, and takes so long you will have to reset the connection timeouts in Outllook to the point they make no sense; broadband/wireless is only so-so, and may also need timeouts to be set at nearly 2 minutes; cable/hi-speed is most reliable, and will generally perform the most laborious loads quickly and without corruption.

And...lastly....each computer system itself may be influencing the processing required by Outlook to function. With low RAM the system is taxed to process multiple things at once: connection, the Outlook program itself, an anti-virus program that is scanning each message (incoming and outgoing), and the basic OS paltform shell. I am sure that you have already heard 1g RAM is the new standard (that's why...to avoid all those annoying "Virtual Memory Too Low" warnings), but the lowest amount of RAM that allows Outlook to run at all is 512. I suppose you could run 256 using cable, but not broadband or dialup.

Do you see things a bit clearer now? It is all ablout how your computer is able to run the programs, the connection allowances open to use, and if the Outlook program itself has been properly configured (no interpretation of the instructions I mentioned, as they are singular to VH).

Comment

We've got the same ISP, and mine's working whereas his isn't. I tried putting the ISP in on his Outlook just to see if it worked, and I got an error message saying that the server could not be found. Aside from actually getting someone in here to look at it or posting a series of screen shots, I'm stuck.
                        Out of curiosity. Will you see if your emp. will check his settings. While they are on the email accounts settings...like on mine im using (POP3) when they are testing the settings there should be a button that says more settings. When you click on it, there should be a tab that says Advanced. Click on it and you will see incoming and outgoing, etc. What number does the outgoing say?
                        Diane
                        www.smallbizunite.net

Comment

Spelling error or typo.....look real hard, making sure that is not a comma!
                          Get used to once in a while having to delete the entire setup, closing Outlook, shutting down your computer for at least 5 minutes, and firing it back up to do it all over again --- slower and more detailed than last ---- and THEN "testing" it to be sure it was done properly.
                          * Remember, after each successful setup, you may indeed have to shut down and reboot for your computer to "Save Settings" (which have changed) during the shutdown process.....

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
                            NO...that does not make sense, nor would it be applicable.

Outlook 2003 is the best, most current version out there: 2005 and 2007 are versions that have actually been "downgraded" to appear more "user friendly" but are actually less versatile and less stable: they removed the abi.ity for Word to be the editor of many email formats, and eliminated the ability to create HTML emails, opting for Plan and Rich text formats instead. Anyone who does a lot of business-oriented email knows that HTML formatting allows you to communicate with more images and web-friendly links than the others ... stick with 2003.

Back to the issue at hand: has the copy of Outlook been registered yet? If not, it is not "activated" and will remain inoperable until unlocked.
                            You all need to understand how Outlook works, I think --- just like using BV to publish a page, it is merely a device to hook up to the server, which when asked will provide a valid User Name and Password to connect with the server to retrieve emails .. and to send, it merely sends the emails back to the same server prefaced by the access info to allow the server itself to process the email as expected. It has NOTHING to do with IP addresses, or anything else.
                            It MAY have something to do with each users connection, but it is not "regulated" by any ISP/Internet Service Provider (the ones responsible for initial connection to the internet). They, by law, cannot filter, charcterize, or "handle" email in any way shape or form: they merely transfer data through the connection you pay them to provide.

Large emails (1mb or larger) may pose particular problems according to the ISP connection you are paying for. So will the type of connection: dial-up is notoriously bad, and takes so long you will have to reset the connection timeouts in Outllook to the point they make no sense; broadband/wireless is only so-so, and may also need timeouts to be set at nearly 2 minutes; cable/hi-speed is most reliable, and will generally perform the most laborious loads quickly and without corruption.

And...lastly....each computer system itself may be influencing the processing required by Outlook to function. With low RAM the system is taxed to process multiple things at once: connection, the Outlook program itself, an anti-virus program that is scanning each message (incoming and outgoing), and the basic OS paltform shell. I am sure that you have already heard 1g RAM is the new standard (that's why...to avoid all those annoying "Virtual Memory Too Low" warnings), but the lowest amount of RAM that allows Outlook to run at all is 512. I suppose you could run 256 using cable, but not broadband or dialup.

Do you see things a bit clearer now? It is all ablout how your computer is able to run the programs, the connection allowances open to use, and if the Outlook program itself has been properly configured (no interpretation of the instructions I mentioned, as they are singular to VH).
                            Wow Vasili. That is nicely put...however it makes a whole lot of sense. For me no matter if it is Outlook 2003 or outlook 2000 which I used both. I am currently using outlook 2003. I wasn't able to pass the test settings using my domain mail. I had to use my isp address for outgoing in order for me to connect my settings both ways. My incoming is mail.mydomain.net and my outgoing is mail.xanadoo.com. That is the only way it works because it won't work any other way.
                            Diane
                            www.smallbizunite.net

Comment

Okay guys, I think I fixed it. I deleted everything, shut down Outlook, restarted my computer, and entered everything again from scratch. I'm not sure exactly what did it, but everything is working again! My only concern is that it's going to magically stop working in a few hours, like it did this morning. Grr. I'm going to keep an eye on it just to make sure, and if I'm still running into problems...I'm tempted just to throw the whole thing out onto the street (just kidding....not really...who knows? Frustration will do weird things to your thought process). I still think I'm going to get a newer version of Outlook for that computer, but hopefully it will continue working till then.

Thanks again for all of your help. I can't begin to say how much I appreciate it!!!

Kathleen

Comment

Working...
                              X