Several questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several questions

Hi, I have 2 published websites via another hosting company. However, these sites were built by a web designer friend for me to my specifications. I am currently building a new site (for which I already own the domain name) using blue voda so that I am not at the mercy of his schedule anymore. :) I am considering moving my existing sites over, and publishing the site I am currently working on, to vodahost. I have several questions.

1) Is it accurate that I can host as many domain names as I want provided I do not exceed the bandwidth and storage limits?

2) What are the options should I at some point wish to have more space and/or bandwidth available?

3) I already own the domain name for the site I am building via blue voda, but I would still like the free name which comes with registration. Am I required to choose this name immediately upon signing up, or can I do it at some point in the future?

4) If moving a site which is built with PHP/SQL and has a large custom database, are there likely to be any compatibility problems?

5) How easy would it be to edit a website such as mentioned in question #4 using Blue Voda?

6) How long does it take to move a site from one host (my current host is godaddy) to Voda? I don't want my site to be down for any significant amount of time.

Thanks for your time.
    Guys Poker Night Out - Beat your friends at poker

Re: Several questions

1) Is it accurate that I can host as many domain names as I want provided I do not exceed the bandwidth and storage limits?

YES

2) What are the options should I at some point wish to have more space and/or bandwidth available?

You will never need it. Very few SITES in the world exceed 24,000 MB. BUT if you do need more its only US$3 per GB.

3) I already own the domain name for the site I am building via blue voda, but I would still like the free name which comes with registration. Am I required to choose this name immediately upon signing up, or can I do it at some point in the future?

At sign up

4) If moving a site which is built with PHP/SQL and has a large custom database, are there likely to be any compatibility problems?

Hopefully none..unless it has a very old version of PHP/SQL

5) How easy would it be to edit a website such as mentioned in question #4 using Blue Voda?

BlueVoda is not a PHP editor

6) How long does it take to move a site from one host (my current host is godaddy) to Voda? I don't want my site to be down for any significant amount of time.

How long is a piece of string. I can not answer. I do not know your site.
    Last edited by VodaHost; 06-13-2006, 09:08 AM.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I've got quite a bit done on my new site site so far. Once you factor in that I'm already paying for hosting for 2 different sites, I think I'll probably move over very soon. Thanks.

Comment

Just thought of another question, sorry for the hassle. Does your hosting package come with a comprehensive statistics analyzer included? I'm paying $2.95 a month extra for this with my current host, and if a good analyzer (and access to the raw log files) is included with the price, then that would be a very big plus. Thanks.

Comment

Yes, there are quite a few stat scripts that come with cPanel, with the package (Including raw access logs and awstats)

Register/Login Script
          Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Okay, I've been browsing the forums and I have another question... :)

Are all the domains which I host with Voda hosted as sub-domains of the 'first' one? Or do they each get their own CP and such? Like, if someone wants to browse to www.mysite.com but it is hosted as a subdomain of www.thesiteigotforfreefromvodahost.com will it look normal to them? It doesn't really bother me if 2nd and 3rd domains are stored under the 1st domain, as long as it is transparent to visitors and I have full control and features available to all the sites. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Subversive
              Okay, I've been browsing the forums and I have another question... :)

Are all the domains which I host with Voda hosted as sub-domains of the 'first' one? Or do they each get their own CP and such? Like, if someone wants to browse to www.mysite.com but it is hosted as a subdomain of www.thesiteigotforfreefromvodahost.com will it look normal to them? It doesn't really bother me if 2nd and 3rd domains are stored under the 1st domain, as long as it is transparent to visitors and I have full control and features available to all the sites. Thanks.
              That link www.thesiteigotforfreefromvodahost.com Not work bad link

Comment

Originally posted by raykirk900
                That link www.thesiteigotforfreefromvodahost.com Not work bad link
                It's not supposed to work - it was posted as an example.
                My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Addon domains don't get thier own cPanel, all your domains use the same one with the same login. All features (That I know of) work with addon domains.

When you add an addon domain, it makes a sub-domain for the main one, but that does not appear in the browser.

For instance, say your main domain is "www.mysite.com", then you add on the domain "www.qwerty.com". All the files for www.qwerty.com will be located in a subdomain of www.mysite.com, but will not display in the address bar as being a subdomain. www.qwerty.com will appear as its own domain name.

You can add subdomain to addon domains, so you are not limited in that way.

Sorry if I didn't explain this well enought, maybe someone can explain it better.

Register/Login Script
                  Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

That makes sense watdaflip. Appreciate your help.

Comment

Okay, I almost just signed up, but I wanted to clarify one more thing first...

When I sign up, I choose a domain name, which is included in the sing up fee. Now, suppose I don't care to publish this domain at this time, but instead want to publish a different domain, will this be any sort of problem? I have a good idea for my free name, but it would be a backburner sort of project, as I already have 2 websites on the go.

Thanks.

Comment

Your account must have a primary domain name. The primary domain name
                        mustr be designated at time of signup. All other domain names are considered
                        add-on domains.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Okay, then to ask the question another way, does the domain which I register for free at time of signup have to be the primary domain name or can I choose another domain name (which I already own) to be my primary?

Comment

When you sign up you must specify a primary domain name.
                            It can either be the free one we provide for you, or it can
                            be one that you already own.
                            Last edited by VodaHost; 01-06-2006, 07:44 PM.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Great. Thanks. I'll be signing up later tonight.

Comment

Working...
                              X