Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spam2

Hello.

I have removed the guestbook application and setup a different way of visitors posting comments onto my website, to get round spam appearing in the textarea control of the guestbook application. By using the 'form' control and the 'post' event all I do is to pickup the comment which arrives in my e-mail client and copy/paste back into my webpage. This works well. However, what happens is that I get comments which are spam comments coming through into my e-mail client. As the e-mail address used in the 'post' event is different to that in my webpage how do spammers do this and how can I stop it?

Steve
    www.quinta-da-vinha.com

Re: Spam2

Not quite sure what you mean. What email address is your comments going to? What other e-mail address are you talking about?

Andy
    PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Hi Andy

Thanks for replying. I don't want to provide my e-mail address, but also does it matter what it is?

Steve

Comment

I can understand that (not wanting to post your email), but I don't understand the rest. So generalize and use email1 and email2 to explain in detail what is going on. Because your statement
        As the e-mail address used in the 'post' event is different to that in my webpage
        confuses me.

Andy
        PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Hi Andy

On my website on the contacts page is an e-mail address. This is not the one I have used in the form/post code. I mentioned this only because a collegue of yours called Chris thought that was an issue. It's not. My question is just that when I get an e-mail it can be one from a true visitor which contains their comment, and others from spammers. I was hoping to stop receiving e-mail from spammers. Are the spammers picking up the e-mail address form the code page that resides on the bluevoda server or over the internet by picking up the e-mail and substituting their webaddresses into the body of the e-mail?

Steve

Comment

The email in your php code is safe- it cannot be seen or harvested by bots on the web.

ANY EMAIL ADDRESS IN HTML CODE ON A WEB PAGE- CAN AND WILL BE PICKED UP BY BOTS AND SPAMMERS.

Sorry for being dramatic on the caps- but it is ment to be a warning. If I am going to put an e-mail address on a web page- I usually create a gif of the email address and put it on the site as a gif or jpeg. That way it cannot be picked up by bots. Spammers can still get it- but that is a small percentage.

To stop spamming a form, you will need some tweaks on your php code. if you'd rather keep it off this forum- then use my form on my website and send me your e-mail address and I will create one for you.

Cheers-
            Andy
            PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Thanks Andy. I have sent you my contact details via www.123gpp.com

Comment

Hello Andy

Have you had a chance to write out the code?

Steve

Comment

Steve-
                  I sent you a reply in which I asked for the code you are currently using and the form page URL that it goes to so that I could write it but haven't heard back.

I take it that you did not get my reply? Well, I just sent you another email. If you don't get it, then send me the above at:

mail2@netisopen.com

Cheers and sorry for the delay.......

Andy
                  PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Working...
                  X