adding and naming pages help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding and naming pages help?

I don't understand the video tutorial on adding and naming pages, I already created my Home page and named it index.bpv. On my Home page, I have added buttons like "About Us, Contact, Links" e.t.c, let's take the "About Us" page as an example, how do I name this page?

index.bpv/aboutus?
    or
    aboutus.bpv?

help?

Re: adding and naming pages help?

You should name your home page index - the system adds the .bvp extension automatically.
    Then you can name your About Us page something like about_us
    with no extension. (You can name it aboutus)

The link on your home page to go to the About Us page would be
    http://www.yourdomainname.com/about_us.html

Then when someone clicks on that link they are taken to the About Us page. Use only lower case letters in the page names with no spaces. If you must have a space use "_" or "-"
    When naming pages do not enter any extension to them.

To go to your home page (which you have named 'index') you would go to http://www.yourdomainname.com

I'm sure more knowledgeable people will also respond
    Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts
    Rockdale, TX - Class of 1965
    Milam County Historical Commission

Comment

Thanks, I opened the About Us page, clicked File-Save as and name it aboutus but when I go to the site and click the About Us tab or button, nothing happens, it does not take me to the page?

Comment

Did you add the hyperlink on the index page? You have to add the URL to the index page so it will know where to go.

What is your web site? Let people look at it and you'll get better help.
        Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts

Comment

My website is

I opened the index [home] page in BV then in the "About Us" button's properties box I added the url

then went to the site and clicked on the About Us tab and still nothing, I am wondering if have the tab written as "About Us" and then in the properties writing it as "aboutus", could this be the problem or am I missing a step somewhere please?

Comment

Originally posted by mikehende View Post
            My website is

www.buying4less.com

I opened the index [home] page in BV then in the "About Us" button's properties box I added the url

www.buying4less.com/aboutus.html

then went to the site and clicked on the About Us tab and still nothing, I am wondering if have the tab written as "About Us" and then in the properties writing it as "aboutus", could this be the problem or am I missing a step somewhere please?
            First of all, when you add the link to the button, it must have http:// infront of the www.

Secondly, you then publish your 'aboutus' page, which you haven't done yet because it doesn't show in the above link. Ensure you definitely called it 'aboutus' all lower case if that is what you are putting in the link?
            Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

I don't believe you have them linked.
              On the index page, in BV, double click on the About Us button. You will get a pop-up window. Click on About Us and it will highlight. then click on Edit. Make sure 'link type' reads 'http' and then where it reads UR: type in
              http://www.buying4less.com/aboutus.html. You must add the 'http://'
              If you want to change the button colors, font, etc click on Style and it gives you options. (The one you have has BV symbol on it and might interfere with text on another page).
              Then Save and publish the index page and then save and publish the aboutus page. Try that and I think it should work.
              Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts

Comment

I have done as you guys have suggested, thanks for the help! I think the problem here is that things are not being published, I am getting "timed out" errors, I will have to check with the Host and get back to you guys.

Comment

It was Norton's firewall blocking the publishing. Back to our task, I am getting the Links and aboutus buttons to function [thanks for the help guys] but not the Payment and contactus buttons and can't figure out why? I have named then correctly and published the pages in the same way as I have done the other two, any ideas?

Comment

For the Contact Us button, I assume you want the visitor to send an email to you? Go thru the steps above and where you entered the URL for the links, change teh Link Type to 'mailto:" and then enter your email address where you entered the URL previously.
                    I've only used PayPal buttons for payments so I'll defer to someone else.
                    Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts

Comment

Originally posted by jcaywood View Post
                      For the Contact Us button, I assume you want the visitor to send an email to you? Go thru the steps above and where you entered the URL for the links, change teh Link Type to 'mailto:" and then enter your email address where you entered the URL previously.
                      I've only used PayPal buttons for payments so I'll defer to someone else.
                      NOT A RECOMMENDED METHOD

Please review this Tutorial for the preferred method on creating a Basic Email Form that is easy to set up and is minimally secure for visitors to use.

For a Secure Email Form that installs with just a few clicks, please consider ABVFP Advanced Blue Voda Forms Processor. This robust utility is "Easy-to-Medium" to install and configure for beginners, and involves no complicated coding or script writing, but offers full security measures and validation of forms prior to submission.
                      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

2 questions please trying to create that Basic Email Form you referred to, first, how do I create a subject area for people to tell me what their question is? Next, in the Page Html when you go to the "Between Head Tag", I scroll down but do not see the 2 lines which need editing? This is exactly all what's written there:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
                        <html>
                        <head>
                        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
                        <title>Thank You</title>
                        <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Created by BlueVoda">
                        </head>
                        <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
                        <div id="bv_" style="position:absolute;left:277px;top:130px;widt h:262px;height:48px;z-index:0" align="left">
                        <font style="font-size:21px" color="#0000FF" face="Arial">Thank You, we will get back to you shortly!</font></div>
                        </body>
                        </html>

Comment

Mike....are you using Blue Voda, or writing HTML? (your page data says you used BV)

If you are using Blue Voda, please follow the Tutorial on creating a Basic Email Form here, and this Tutorial explains how to use and "insert" the basic tools on your page, such as the Textbox, etc.

If you are writing HTML, you are looking at the META and page intro info only, and for the life of me I cannot figure out why you are messing about there trying to set up an email form (viewing and/or editing the HTML pages of a BV created page is simply illogical, if not totally upside down and turned around)!
                          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Yes, I am using BV, the 2nd tutorial in the your last reply answers my first question [thanks] but my second question is still unanswered and it relates to the Basic Email Form, if you look at that tutorial more at the 3/4 stage you will see what I am talking about concerning the 2 lines which need editing, here is my question again:

in the Page Html when you go to the "Between Head Tag", I scroll down but do not see the 2 lines which need editing? This is exactly all what's written there:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
                            <html>
                            <head>
                            <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
                            <title>Thank You</title>
                            <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Created by BlueVoda">
                            </head>
                            <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
                            <div id="bv_" style="position:absolute;left:277px;top:130px;widt h:262px;height:48px;z-index:0" align="left">
                            <font style="font-size:21px" color="#0000FF" face="Arial">Thank You, we will get back to you shortly!</font></div>
                            </body>
                            </html>

Comment

ummmm.....i'm also having problems adding pages and can't seem to find anything in the tutorials area. i have my home page, after that though i'm completely lost!

Comment

Working...
                              X