Forwarding/redirecting URL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forwarding/redirecting URL

Here is my question. I just resently signed up with Voda Host and got my new domain name (building a website). I also have another one. what I would like to do is, when people type my old URL I want them to be automatically redirected to my new web site. What does it take to do that?
    thanks in advance

Re: Forwarding/redirecting URL

Hi, it depends a little on were your domain is at the moment. You maybe able to do this at your domain provider. Or if not, point your domain at your VH server & you can redirect from the addon domain area in your cpanel to your new sites address. So which ever one is entered as a url it will end up at your new site.
    Note: Can somtimes take a wile to propagate from your domain provider, so give it a good few hours before you see it working.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

yahoo is a provider for my old domain name
      Voda is for the new domain name

Comment

Hi, then as above. I havnt used yahoo, so i am not sure if you can just do it from their area or not. But you should be able to just point the domain at vodahost.
        This is assuming its not an odd domain like www.myname.yahoo.com which would be classed as a sub domain & yahoo may have rules on this.
        But if it is important to keep this domain & it cant be redirected via the admin areas of yahoo. You can alway put a redirect bit of code in your yahoo's home page header.
        Something like...........
        <meta http-equiv="REFRESH" content="0;url=http://www.the-domain-you-want-to-redirect-to.com">
        Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Originally posted by Collectors-info View Post
          Hi, then as above. I havnt used yahoo, so i am not sure if you can just do it from their area or not. But you should be able to just point the domain at vodahost.
          This is assuming its not an odd domain like www.myname.yahoo.com which would be classed as a sub domain & yahoo may have rules on this.
          But if it is important to keep this domain & it cant be redirected via the admin areas of yahoo. You can alway put a redirect bit of code in your yahoo's home page header.
          <meta http-equiv="REFRESH" content="0;url=http://www.the-domain-you-want-to-redirect-to.com">

thank you so much. I am doing to give it a try. if my first option does not work( I changed DNS settings on my yahoo domain control panel)

Comment

so now i am confused. I've tried to test if it's working and this is the message I got

Great Success !
            Apache is working on your cPanel® and WHM™ Server
            If you can see this page, then the people who manage this server have installed cPanel and WebHost Manager (WHM) which use the Apache Web server software and the Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl) successfully. They now have to add content to this directory and replace this placeholder page, or else point the server at their real content.
            ATTENTION!
            If you are seeing this page instead of the site you expected, please contact the administrator of the site involved. (Try sending an email to <webmaster@domain>.) Although this site is running cPanel, WebHost Manager, and Apache software it almost certainly has no other connection to cPanel Inc. or the Apache Group. Please do not send mail about this site or its contents to cPanel Inc. or the Apache Group.
            About cPanel:
            cPanel is a leading provider of software for the webhosting industry. If you would like to learn more about cPanel please visit our website at www.cpanel.net. Please be advised that cPanel Inc. is not a web hosting company, and as such has no control over content found elsewhere on this site.
            About Apache HTTP Server:
            The Apache HTTP Server is an open source web server which powers many of the worlds web sites. The Apache HTTP server is part of the Apache Group's many influential projects. Their efforts have helped shape much the world wide web, and they continue to be a dominating force in the web hosting industry.

Comment

Hi, sounds like you havnt got your new BV sites "index" page published just yet. What is your new domain?. As you will need some sort of entry page for any redirect to find. IE:an index page. This will be your home page that is reached via your new domain.
              Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi, sounds like you havnt got your new BV sites "index" page published just yet. What is your new domain?. As you will need some sort of entry page for any redirect to find. IE:an index page. This will be your home page that is reached via your new domain.
                I did published index page

Comment

You are the man !!!
                  I undid everything from yahoo and inserted your code.
                  now it's working.
                  thanks you so much

Comment

Hi, And you have placed the code in the head of your old/other site with the new url inserted.
                    Have you got the url of the old site so we can look at the page code.

Ah! Time delay on getting back. Glad your sorted.

Good luck.
                    Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Working...
                    X