Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newly published site

Hi everyone,
    I have a newly published site. I've had a lot of friends and family check it out and everyone says it looks great so far. the only thing is, my brother told me that on his Mac, the front page is messed up. He said the "& More" text is partly hidden behind the picture instead of being underneath it. He also said that on the "Personal Consultations" page the picture is spread out.

Any ideas why this would happen just on his computer? I'm wondering if it could be a monitor setting issue since it's not happening on everyone's computer.
    Here's the website link:

Thanks,
    Julie

Re: newly published site

Hi Julie,
    You can check how your pages look on most types of browsers & O/S's and screen resolutions by submitting the URL to an on line checker, browsershots .org I have submitted your Home Page now for ALL browsers on MAC systems and see what happens. There is a queue so I have to check back later.

I only looked at the Consultations page and , yes, the picture is stretched slightly on my FireFox browser. However, you MUST reduce the file size on that photo! it's almost 2Mb. Should be around 20 kb or so. Search here for Pix Resizer. Can go online and have your images "optimized" live HERE
    I copied and pasted the mentioned image from your page to a word doc and the image wasn't stretched there. You might have used "handles" to size image accidentally when trying to position on page? Don't resize using handles - edit to required dimensions in an image/paint program.

I have seen screen shots of 2 browsers in MAC O/S system now. One with Firefox2 the words are partially hidden like your brother said. Safari 3.1 is ok. If you visit the site, within 23 hours of this post, I think you will automatically get the stored images of my input.

You might want to submit your site in the forum above "Customer Website Reviews ..... ". But first, resize your images. I'd also work on your "Keywords". Your business is localised and you need to optimise so locals will find you when they search. Keywords used must appear on the page as well.
    Good luck
    Rick

Comment

Hi Rick,
      Thanks so much for the info. I'm going to have my husband help me with the resizing of the pictures. I have no idea what I'm doing, unfortunately.

In regards to keywords, how would I optimize those? I thought the ones I used were good descriptions of each page. Obviously, I've never set up a website before so I feel like I'm in way over my head! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,
        Regarding Keywords. They play a major role in how search engines determine what sites to direct their customers (People doing searches) to the most suitable site. Hence, I feel that as yours is a Localised Business, you might want to use Keywords that attract Locals. (Use of District & town names etc.) As i said previously, these need to be included in the text of your pages as well.
        There is a lot of information & guidance of Search Engine Optimazation in the Forum, "Search Engine Topics" and others. If you clcik on "Bethers" profile, you'll see she has some links to Optimazation advice.
        Hope this helps.
        Rick

Comment

Working...
        X