site map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• site map

I have generated a site map but am having trouble getting it nto my site map file
    I have made a file in file manager but cant seem to paste the HTML code into it
    I also made a page and put the code in and published it but that doean't seem to work either
    Any help with this wold be most apreciated
    Regards
    Elizabeth Hibel
    www.starlightowl.com
    StarlightOwl

Re: site map

How did you generate the sitemap? What is its name and format?
    CarbonTerry
    Semper Fi
    Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
    Zone 5 Photo
    My USMC

Comment

Thanks for your reply
      It was generated by free sitemap generator, which I found on the internet
      When it was finished I was able to get the html code for it and that is what I am trying to upload
      Regards
      Elizabeth
      Starlightowl
      www.starlightowl.com
      StarlightOwl

Comment

Was it .xml or .ror format?
        CarbonTerry
        Semper Fi
        Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
        Zone 5 Photo
        My USMC

Comment

There is no code for you to insert .... whether it is an XML or ROR file that has been generated, you need to upload the entire file to your public directory, and then properly insert a static link on each of your web pages from your site to that file (the SE's will follow this link on a prefrential basis as ROR indicates a "resources" index for them to get a snapshot of your site).
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thankyou for your replies
            You are a bit too technical for me Vasili
            As to what sort of file it is, I don't know but thought it was HTML
            Where I have copied and pasted it to the root directory it says it has 15 Kilobytes in it
            I don't think this is all of t as tghere arfe about 80 or more URL's involved
            Thanks
            Elilzabeth
            StarlightOwl

Comment

Originally posted by starlightowls View Post
              You are a bit too technical for me Vasili
              As to what sort of file it is, I don't know but thought it was HTML
              Where I have copied and pasted it to the root directory it says it has 15 Kilobytes in it
              I don't think this is all of t as tghere arfe about 80 or more URL's involved
              Thanks
              Elilzabeth
              www.starlightowl.com
              Liz ?? When you used a tool to "generate" a 'sitemap', it created code which was supposed to be saved as a FILE (clearly the instructions offer you a choice of file types, even!):
              1. You can save the "code" as a file >> sitemap.xml
              2. You can save the "code" as a file >> ror.xml

It really matters not which you decide on (personally, I find best results with the ROR), for you must FTP the file itself up to your public_html/ account directory so the Search Engines can link to it and "read" it (that IS the whole point, right?).

You also must do the OTHER part of it by either placing an image or text link on every web page to that file ..... you might recall seeing a small image on some sites with "XML" on it (sometimes orange in color), and many with a text version ..... and, like I say, it must be a valid link to that "sitemap" file you FTP'd up (i.e. www YourDomain.com/ror.xml -or- www YourDomain.com/sitemap.xml )

What I posted earlier (in brief, so to make it easier actually to understand universally) is NOT complicated, nor too technical: there is no code to insert, only a file which needs be loaded in your directory, and valid links on every web page to that file to prove a visible means for Search Engines to follow (a "sitemap").
              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Hi all,

I stumbled on a sitemap generator in BV 10. Sweet!

It's under Tools.
                Terri
                www.ice-tropic.com
                www.janebondtravel.com
                www.theazfoodcritic.com

Comment

Working...
                X