Yahoo Email Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yahoo Email Question

Could someone please tell me what this email from Yahoo means? I followed the instructions to set up my email on BV. IN order to send and receive I had to put....mail.sbcglobal.net in the outgoing smtp not the mail.domain.com as suggested. My email to and from my BV account (lauraross@submarinepaintings.com) is working great. So what are they talking about and who would be the "mail client"? My regular email is through Yahoo but with ATT (the old SBC). Did this come up because I used Outlook 2003 for my BV website? Thanks.....

Dear AT&T Yahoo! Customer:

We noticed that you are accessing email using non-secure settings in your email software.

We would like to ensure that your AT&T Yahoo! Member ID, password, and email messages are transmitted securely between your mail software (such as Outlook or Outlook Express) and the AT&T Yahoo! Mail servers. In order to meet this need, please enable SSL via the instructions that are available on the Help site.

Since multiple email notifications have already been sent out about this, we request that you please make the necessary changes immediately. Remember, you need to make these changes if you want to continue to send/receive email using a mail client.

Thank you for your cooperation,

AT&T Yahoo! Customer Support

Re: Yahoo Email Question

The mail client is referring to the program you are using on your computer to send/receive the emails.

I can't really help with the problem though, I don't use at&t yahoo as my ISP.

It seems as they require you to send the emails securely using SSL, follow the instructions they give. (I can't access the instruction as it wants the user to login)

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

See this post here on ATT Yahoo SBC Global

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thank you for replying. I did exactly what you instructed. It failed the test. I then unchecked the ssl box and reset to 25 and it passes the test. However, I guess it isn't "secure" for them? Would you have any other ideas? I only was able to send and receive in the first place because of something you had posted awhile ago about changing the outgoing smtp.
        Thank you. I am still not sure why they think the connection is not secure if it is going thru them. I don't really want to give my "home" email for my web business. This is why the email thru BV by way of Outlook was a good solution.

Comment

I also tried this from Yahoo...
          1. <LI unselectable="off">Open your email client program. <LI unselectable="off">Locate the email account settings for your particular client. <LI unselectable="off">Change the POP server to pop.att.yahoo.com. <LI unselectable="off">Change the SMTP server to smtp.att.yahoo.com. <LI unselectable="off">Check the option labeled Use an encrypted connection (SSL).
            • Change the SMTP port to 465.
            <LI unselectable="off">Check the option labeled Use an encrypted connection (SSL).
            • Change the POP3 port to 995.
          2. Confirm the above settings before clicking OK.
          They ask for my username and password. I put in the email username and the password from my control panel when I set up the BV email account. However, it will not accept this. What other password would work?

Comment

Well they want your password for logging into them... but you dont want the POP server to be them.. you want it your email on your domain, so mail.yournamedomain.com

Then your user name and password, and remember, then, drop down to outgoing mail server, tick my server requires authentication, then click the settings and in there log on using, your user name and password with them and apply. Dont tick the ssl box there. Now go to the advanced tab and set the OUT going port as described above. Now apply and ok to all

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Karen,
              I cannot get the test to pass. I have the smtp set as smtp.att.yahoo.com (as above) I did as you said for all the rest. I have log on using my username and pw. I did tick...log on using pw authentication. test failed. I unticked ..log on using pw authentication. It failed. I did not tick....log on to incoming server. Then I went to advanced (settings) andchanged the smtp port to 465. I ticked use the ssl encryption. Test failed. I unticked it. Test failed. The only way it works is if i put mail.sbcglobal.net in the smtp and leave the advanced at 25 without any ssl and that is when I get the reprimanding email. I think it has something to do with the outgoing smtp in the server information block. Why does it continually fail with Yahoo setting? Thanks for bothering. I do appreciate it.

Comment

I do know you have to tick the SSL first then change the port, otherwise it will revert back to 25 every time.

If i were you id get on live chat on support with them and ask them that. My location may be different than yours..even tho my carier is sbcglobal, so go figure. could be also that you havent updated your account and saved your settings, which you have to login to yahoo to do.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Apparently you now have to log in and add ALL your email accounts that you intend to send with to your profile for verification in addition to all the other hoops.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                  X