No announcement yet.

Allowing others access to upload files.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allowing others access to upload files.

Can someone tell me a good way to make it so that others can upload files but not change other details while they are in cpanel. A way to prevent someone from locking you out out once they are in and have access to the data. www.nutrathai.com.hk

Re: Allowing others access to upload files.

the best way they can upload files to you is by installing ABVFP on a page and they can send you any file they want. you will have to take the file and upload it to the site. I don't think i would let anyone in my Cpanel other than me.
    mrmagoo144
    mrmagoo144
    www.videopostcards.info

Comment

[quote=mrmagoo144;225505]the best way they can upload files to you is by installing ABVFP on a page and they can send you any file they want. you will have to take the file and upload it to the site. I don't think i would let anyone in my Cpanel other than me.
      mrmagoo144
      www.videopostcards.info[/Thanks Mr Magoo I appreciate you taking the time to help.] I was able to solve the one problem now there is a new issue as the images are not loading onto my pages. www.nutrathai.com.hk any ideas would be welcome!

Comment

[quote=NutraThai;225800]
        Originally posted by mrmagoo144 View Post
        the best way they can upload files to you is by installing ABVFP on a page and they can send you any file they want. you will have to take the file and upload it to the site. I don't think i would let anyone in my Cpanel other than me.
        mrmagoo144
        www.videopostcards.info[/Thanks Mr Magoo I appreciate you taking the time to help.] I was able to solve the one problem now there is a new issue as the images are not loading onto my pages. www.nutrathai.com.hk any ideas would be welcome!

Your question has been answered here in your other thread. It's best to ask your question in one place, and one place only .. ty

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

I believe that the way it was posted in the other thread, was wrong, the issue here is different.
          Navaldesign
          Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by mrmagoo144 View Post
            mrmagoo144
            www.videopostcards.info
            I am in similar situation as NutraThai. I have a programmer helping me to customize my site. He asked if he can have my ftp username and password. I am uncomfortable giving him that information. Installing "ABVFP on a page" could be the answer. However, I do not know what is ABVFP and on where should the page be located?

Sorry if I sound dumb. I still have a lot to learn about all these. :)
            BellaB
            www.completelyweddings.com
            Bride's resource for everything wedding
            www.giftsofcharms.com
            Unique gifts for babies and toddlers
            www.bridalnbeauty.com
            Stylish Wedding Favors and Distinctive Bridal Accessories

Comment

I believe that Nutra Thai case is different, in that case the user wants to allow file upload. In your case, you need to upload files that will be part of the site, this can be done with ABVFP but only under specific circumstances and with specific setings that i doubt you would be able to do.
              Navaldesign
              Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
              DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
              Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thank you Naval for your answer. You are right, I am not capable of working with ABVFP. I don't even know what that is :)

Maybe if I give more specific information why I asked the question, you or someone in the forum can help me. This is what I am faced with:

I wanted to change the URL of my Wordpress blog from completelyweddings.com/myblog to simply completelyweddings.com (which is my main domain name with a Soholaunch template). The programmer who bidded for the project said that this is easy to do, but he would need my ftp password for uploading/changing files. I have not responded because I am still looking for an alternative way.

My question is, is there a way to do this instead of giving out my ftp password?
                BellaB
                www.completelyweddings.com
                Bride's resource for everything wedding
                www.giftsofcharms.com
                Unique gifts for babies and toddlers
                www.bridalnbeauty.com
                Stylish Wedding Favors and Distinctive Bridal Accessories

Comment

Your programmer is correct. He needs not only access to your site content, but also to the database so he can modify some settings without deleting whatever is already in there. There is no other way unfortunately.

I have dealt with many of my clients that had the same doubts. In my case, my long time presense in this forum has made things easier, i understand that you don't want to allow access to a stranger, but unfortunately the only other way to do it, without specific knowledge, would be to uninstall both WP and Soho and then reinstall WP in the main folder. Of course, whatever you have already in there, will be lost.
                  Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                  X