Does PayPal Collect Customer's Shipping Address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does PayPal Collect Customer's Shipping Address

After several modifications of PayPal's "Add to Cart" button codes and as many test runs; I can't get PayPal to collect the customer's shipping address! I even recreated the add to cart button and selected the option that says "Yes-require shipping" and still the code created is the same as the option, "No shipping needed"!

Also, I wanted the option, "allow customer to include a comment"; but that doesn't happen either!
    This code is created whether I select "require shipping" or not:
    <input type="hidden" name="no_shipping" value="2">
    When I select the option to allow customer to leave a comment; it leaves this code out, but doesn't provide a comment box:
    <input type="hidden" name="no_note" value="1">

PayPal just uses the billing address for the shipping address AND then provides a small "change" link for the shipping address!

What do I have to do to get PayPal to request the shipping address and to provide the comment box?

Advice is certainly appreciated!

Re: Does PayPal Collect Customer's Shipping Address

Gosh !!! I thought with all the "experience" available on this forum; that someone would have a comment or helpful advice about PayPal !

I've found the "Complete PayPal Integration" manual and it does say that it is up to the customer to "change" the "billing address" if it is not the desired "shipping address", on the "order review" page! HOW CONVENIENT!
    I wonder how many customers have missed that obscure little "change" link?

And, of course the "Complete PayPal Integration" manual does not even cover the "customer comment" option!

Well, I guess, these days; that's the best you can expect for free!

Sorry about the rant....but PayPal could have easily done better.

Comment

Perhaps on your return page you could put a special form to add special instructions.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thanks, Karen
        Yes that is an option that I may have to use, but I don't understand why, in the creation of the "add to Cart" button, do they give you 3 shipping options and none seem to change the outcome of the button code?

The options are,(this may not be exact wording): 1) Make shipping optional; 2) shipping required; 3) shipping not required. Yet the operation of the button does not change! A response to an email to PayPal said that it is always assumed by PayPal that the "Billing Address" is the same as "shipping address". IMO that's pretty shoddy scripting to offer your customers! The cart might seem to be Free, but it actually isn't because they take a healthy cut of your sale to use it!

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestion. I'll probably have to go that way; just hate to burden the customer more than should be necessary! AND who knows if I select "shipping not required; will PayPal eliminate the little "change" link that is attached to the "shipping address" that they presently display on their "review" page?!!

Comment

Beware, "shipping not required" may only be for downloadable products! Just a thought. :)
          Karen Williams
          Your Belief is Your Reality

Comment

Karen W
            I think you are correct. I believe if you select "Shipping not Required" that a shipping address is not shown on the "review your order" page. But, the other options don't seem to change the fact that PayPal does not present a "shipping address" form to the customer, during the checkout procedure.

It is beyond my understanding why PayPal decided against asking the customer: "Is your shipping address the same as your billing address?" !

Instead, they expect all customers to notice that the shipping address, presented on the "order review" page is the same as their "billing address" and that they need to change it if it isn't the correct shipping address!

Just another place for us sellers to create an unhappy customer, when the purchase doesn't arrive as they expected!!

Comment

Have you viewed all options available through your PP account versus using the PP buttons in BV?
              CarbonTerry
              Semper Fi
              Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
              Zone 5 Photo
              My USMC

Comment

Hi Terry
                Yes, I had the buttons created at PayPal. I selected their "shipping required" option, but they still don't present a shipping address form to the customer! Even the PayPal Integration manual says if you select that option the customer's shipping address is required. Of course, it doesn't come right out and say thet PayPal will ask for it! LOL.

Comment

What is the URL of a page with the PP button installed? Your shipping info is not asked for until late in the purchasing process.
                  Do you want to post the html of a button?
                  CarbonTerry
                  Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                  Zone 5 Photo
                  My USMC

Comment

Terry....Originally I made the mistake of selecting "shipping not required" and I got this code:
                    <input type="hidden" name="no_shipping" value="2">
                    Then, after some studying of the PP manual; I found that the "2" code does mean "buyer must provide shipping address. However, I put thru a test (actual), purchase on my card and it never ask for my shipping address! Instead, it listed my billing address as the shipping address, with the link named "change" listed just under my billing address. (They never presented me with a shipping address form or ask me if my billing address was the same as my shipping address. In this case it was, BUT what if it wasn't? I would be upset with the seller when my purchase didn't arrive in a reasonable time!

Since reading about the security issues with the PP buttons; I'm a little skiddish about posting the entire button code, but really do appreciate the help you are offering.
                    Last edited by judavvforum; 05-08-2008, 10:28 PM. Reason: corrected wording

Comment

Well the script is FREE. If you want something more use MALS and then have them go to paypal.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                      02036089024 / United Kingdom
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

As karen stated you can use other carts that have more options and integrate PP as the payment gateway.
                        On the PP site they list many options for using Carts that will accept PP.
                        CarbonTerry
                        Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                        Zone 5 Photo
                        My USMC

Comment

Thanks, Karen and Terry

This question "begs" to be asked! You both seem to have good knowledge of PP. And if you are using the "free" cart buttons; does PP specifically asked your customers to fill out a shipping address form OR ask if the customer's billing address is the same as their shipping address?

If so, maybe you could help me with a suggestion on how to set up the cart button to do that?
                          (NOTE: The PP cart may be free, but I'll bet it brings in a significant amount of revenue to PP!)

Comment

Go to my site and purchase my ebook. (You can cancel at the last step) and see if PP specifically collects the shipping info. Should you accidentally complete the purchase I will reimburse your PP account.
                            CarbonTerry
                            Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                            Zone 5 Photo
                            My USMC

Comment

Terry,
                              I went to the point of the "Pay Now" button. Did not click "Pay Now" and it did not ask about shipping or "is billing the same as shipping address", BUT that product is a download product so there wouldn't be a shipping address shown.
                              On my "Review your order details" page, it lists a shipping address section, but uses the billing address as the shipping address. It does offer a rather insignificant little reference to the "Change" option at the bottom of the listed shipping address; which I would be concerned that some customers might not notice and cancel because they don't realize that they can change that area! Customers that are purchasing a gift for someone might want the purchase to be shipped to some other address, not their billing address.

It just seems like PayPal could have done a better job with this cart with very little effort on their part! As I said before....it may be a Free cart, but I'll wager that it brings them a significant amount of revenue!

Comment

Working...
                              X