photo gallery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• photo gallery

Is there any way to disable "right click" on galleries?
    Is it ok to have subfolders in the "images" folder?
    Thank you.
    CarbonTerry
    Semper Fi
    Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
    Zone 5 Photo
    My USMC

Disable Right Click

After working hard on a design, image or article you may want to protect it by using a JavaScript that disables right-click while optionally warning a visitor that the content is copyrighted.

It might sound ok, but this isn't generally a good idea. Why not?

It's annoying!

You don't realise just how much you use right-click until you can't use it! There are a lot of useful features in the short menu that it opens up. While most are also available in the main browser menu, it's often much quicker to use the right-click menu -- this is usually the closest menu you have available.

It's pointless!

If you think disabling right-click will protect your source code or images, think again! Anyone who's determined to copy your content or code will do so regardless of his or her ability to bring up a browser context menu. If they want your source code then it's as simple as selecting 'view source' from the main menu. Article text can be highlighted and copied, images and media presentations can be retrieved from the cache, and streaming media can be recorded.

Disabling right-click will only make people more determined to learn exactly what it is you're hiding. And this could end up being counter-productive, as your images and source code attract unwanted attention. Not only that, but you can only disable right-click on browsers that have JavaScript enabled: a visitor only has to turn off JavaScript in their browser's options to be able to ignore the script altogether!

It's disabling!

Mouse gestures that enable quicker navigation are starting to become a feature of browsers: Opera has them, Mozilla has just added support, and it's only a matter of time before Internet Explorer adopts them. Disabling right-click on pages viewed in these browsers also disables the ability to use mouse gestures, so you won't be popular with those that use them frequently!

Even when you don't make use of mouse gestures, their absence can still seriously affect your ability to browse the Internet. I tend to open any links from a page I like in a new window from the right-click menu, so that I can read and compare both pages and return without having to use the back button. While you can open a link in a new window by holding down shift while clicking on it, many find it easier to use the option from the right-click menu. Disable right-click and you'll alienate these users pretty quickly.

It's unprofessional!

Ask yourself this: would you buy something from a site that reminds you its images are protected by copyright every time you go to use right-click (even when your pointer is nowhere near an image)? I thought not! Disabling right click suggests a lack of professionalism to users.

It's insulting!

Most of your visitors will come to your site looking to buy something, or to find information. Only a small percentage of your visitors will land at your site with the intention to steal from it. By trying to protect yourself from the minority, you effectively insult the majority, who will use the right-click menu for legitimate reasons. Do you really expect your visitors to trust you when you offer them "helpful reminders" that imply you can't trust them?

Granted, some people will want to view your source code -- but don't assume that everyone who looks at it will want to use it on their site! Savvy visitors that are aware of deceptive techniques used by some unscrupulous site owners may just want to check that a link is going to take them where they think it will take them. Does that make them a thief?

Solutions for Content Protection

NONE...If you put it on the internet..Its fair game...There is nothing online that can not be copied.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Do not create a subfolders in the images folder if you are using BlueVoda. You will destroy the directory structure.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Re: photo gallery

Thanks for taking the time for such an informed reply. You can also do a screen capture to copy images. I guess a watermark is in order. iIwill, however, have to redo my "images" folder and remove the subfolders. When I preview everything looks fine. Will it then change when it is published because of the sub folders?
      CarbonTerry
      Semper Fi
      Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
      Zone 5 Photo
      My USMC

Comment

Working...
      X