Leech protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leech protection

Please explain to me if what I'm reading really means what I'm hopeful it means. Leech protection, if enabled, should protect my "folders" from being seen by people on the entire Internet?

What I mean is if you do a search on my name through Google (especially) it will pull up everything about my forum questions, and alot of other private information I don't want people knowing about my programming capabilities. I know you people don't see these issues in the manner I do, but having people "study" my lifestyle by "reviewing" all my forum usage and other issues makes me uncomfortable and like I'm in danger alot of time. Let me warn you to not "put your foot in your mouth" about how this is the Internet, blah, blah, blah because what you're going to do is piss me off and I don't like being unhappy. You (the Internet's users as a whole) are not the decision makers regarding people's safety (especially mine) from the type and amount of information a person or company can get from these type business practices--practiced by VodaHost everyday. VodaHost doesn't want their forum work displayed throughout the Internet so Google can read it and I don't either.

Regardless, my question again is:

Will the Leech protection provide the type of protection I am looking for by protecting the folders of my site ATLEAST so that people cannot do a random search on my name through Google or any other SE and come up with my forum work?

Thank you
    Diane Milinowski
    Diane Milinowski

Re: Leech protection

Originally posted by Diane Milinowski View Post
    Will the Leech protection provide the type of protection I am looking for by protecting the folders of my site ATLEAST so that people cannot do a random search on my name through Google or any other SE and come up with my forum work?
    NO, not entirely or with anything more than minimal assurance. You would be better off having a "do not follow" bot file installed over a (password) protected directory, so that way anything that is cached is not accessible to the general public (although some specific Search returns may display a portion of relevant text Content).

Let me warn you to not "put your foot in your mouth" about how this is the Internet, blah, blah, blah because what you're going to do is piss me off and I don't like being unhappy. You (the Internet's users as a whole) are not the decision makers regarding people's safety (especially mine) from the type and amount of information a person or company can get from these type business practices--practiced by VodaHost everyday.
    Apparently it is you that is doing the whining about having put a foot in the mouth, and only now are coming to grips with trying to conceal that which you yourself has made available to be indexed on the internet: it's not apporpriate to "warn" everyone else here who has offered you help these many months when you should step up and take responsibility for your own "lapse of foresight" if that is the real issue ..... AND it is not a "Business Practice" but the very nature of the internet you are accusing of documenting your technological matriculation, and pointing fingers at VodaHost is out of line, IMO.

VodaHost doesn't want their forum work displayed throughout the Internet so Google can read it and I don't either.
    Where do you get this???
    How could you possibly know what VodaHost intends or does not intend? As a leading provider of very competitive internet services (including hosting, domains, and registrations), products (especially the Net's leading web builder Blue Voda) and Support for the whole gamut of internet technologies and techniques, I am quite sure that a major investment has been carefully crafted to be accessible to a globally Searching clientele as a means of promotion and preminence! Don't you?

As your friend and peer, although I can imagine your frustration with trying to start your new services business "fresh" and with the best foot forward (minimizing your appearance as a freshman), but I can't imagine how you would resort to these types of posts and mis-calculated conclusions.....
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Forums by nature are public domains, meaning read by anyone. Virtually anything on the internet can be accessed by the right person with the right skills at the right time.

Voda Host does want this forum indexed. It brings it tons of customers and it is well indexed. Most people use a pseudo name on a forum and not their real name, however, since i do business on the net I dont go out of my way to hide who i am either.

If you are really really concerned.. I suggest you politely put in a support ticket to change your forum name when they can get to it. Only a forum administrator can accomplish this for you. However that wont stop any cache of pages that formerly showed your name. Im sorry if you are upset and were naive of how the internet works.. but your anger at your peers or at vodahost is wasted. Unfortunately it is HOW the internet works. Someone simply knowing your name doesnt put your safety in jeopardy any more than being listed in the phone book, and even if you werent published.. for less than $25.00 I could probably have your drivers license number, legally. This is the information age.

Obviously something more has happened to stick this bee in your bonnet, and if you are truly being stalked or threatened via the internet, please take the proper steps of reporting to law enforcement and your internet provider.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Oh and by the way.. I found several forums that you use your real name on.. so its NOT just vodahost. I seen soho forum.. wsiswyg forum.. some commission to elect some official in michigan...some graphics forum. Its not just on vodahost...so you cant blame anyone here.. not even your peers etc.. need to go change all those names everywhere.. if they allow you to.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Hi ..

Absolutely correct!!

And you could start by protecting yourself from WHOIS Servers

Your information is here for everyone to see

You can order NAME PROTECT through voda host and this information will be kept private for you .. it's only a few dollars extra per year, and well well worth it ...

Everything, everything you put on the internet can be found someway, somehow, by someone. And it's growing stronger everyday .. even what you think you might put in a private message is not really private .. it can always be exploited ..

You can read up on leech protection here

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
            it's not apporpriate to "warn" everyone else here who has offered you help these many months when you should step up and take responsibility for your own "lapse of foresight" if that is the real issue
            Seems there is a consensus....

Comment

Omg, I can't believe I am sooooo embarrassed. Please forgive me for blurting out something as thoughtless as what I did. Don't get me wrong--I love Vodahost and BV but what I can't understand is when I am running a small business from my home why it is that (and I use this forum for technical researching) why I am not protected my the SBA as to who can see my questions. I'm just too stupid to use another name--never really thought of it in the first place, but I'm not a person to go by any other name than my birth (Christian) name. I wasn't trying to "warn" anyone as it stands, but some of the people in the forums I've visited are really hateful if you don't see things the exact same way they do about everything. Asking questions doesn't seem to help alot of time. But otherwise, business researching and developing is privately owned property.

Thanks for the information.

Vasili, please forgive me. I am very sorry.

Love,
              Diane
              Diane Milinowski

Comment

Diane..

Your concept of protection and your understanding of it, is somewhat amiss. This isnt a private forum.. and the business of this forum is to provide support for its products and advertising for its products.. so when you post here.. you arent here running or promoting your business and therefore arent entitled to any protection. Forums by concept are designed to be public genres.. although there are paid and private ones operating.

Secondly.. running a small business, youd want your name and address known its a step of building trust in your community and buyers of your services. If I am spending my dollar with you.. i want to be assured i have access to you.

Thirdly.. the SBA.. I assume small business association charter is for members of that association to, discuss, promote, empower a voice and offfers tools to help promote members of the charter to the public etc. etc.. I cant see that it COVERS you any where but inside its domain. Its like joining the Chamber of Commerce, or the Better Business Bureau.. Its more of a Club than a governing body or rules and regulations for operating a business or a RULE enforcing operation. Just because I join and display those seals, doesnt give me any extended rights or obligations to make my customers happy etc...

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Don't worry about me, Diane .... no problems to hinder your confidence or our fun together here!

I do see a problem with some confused concepts, though, especially what in your perspective you think of as "Intellectual Property" (and what that really entails and what Laws pertain), how "Groups" or "Associations" work and what they imply/infer, and the inter-relationships and symbiotic natures of business knowledge and practices. How the SBA worked into your thinking about general internet practices and how you consider posts to be "property" is beyond me....

BUT ... that is a very long conversation, and neither I nor anyone else is probably up to it (we all know how I write)! LOL

And Karen? If as a Member of the COC, the BBB or any other group, when you display those indentifying logos you do so to express a degree of associative credibility and subscription to the tenants of that group, correct? And as such, you also proclaim that you are in fact, "obligated" to submit to their stipulations of not just truthfulness in your business operation and offerings, but also that you agreed to submitting to Arbritration, Obsmundsmanship, or other means of Resolution with regard to "keeping customers happy", correct? I mean, why else would anyone want to display such signs of "Marketplace Credibility" (if they weren't pretending, which can make you liable)?

Comment

I think i just phrased that poorly trying to keep it in simple terms.. but.. actually.. because i join wont make my customers any happier.. and you do have to abide by a certain extent.. however, just go poll some of the companies in those groups and you will see 100's of unresolved complaints yet people and business remain a member.. What i was saying was.. it wont guarantee the satisfaction.. it just gives people somewhere to officially complain and give an air of protection.. they cant make you abide by their arbitration.. just boot you out.. but they wont.. cuz you paid your dues..LOL

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Mac View Post
                      it wont guarantee the satisfaction.. it just gives people somewhere to officially complain and give an air of protection.. they cant make you abide by their arbitration..
                      "Smacks" of the BBB! They are the most nefarious group out there: like you say, they give a false sense of security to consumers with some mis-understood policy of trying to find some mutual resolution between consumers and merchants, but as far as I can tell, they simply offer a "bitching room" to anyone who bothers to write a complaint -- justified or not! Then, even if you are not a member, they come marching into your life presenting you with all this documentation trying to compel you to act: their arrogance in the way they bully merchants into thinking that they are all-powerful in the marketplace is absurd!
                      * It is getting worse, now that all these online "Merchant Rating" sites are popping up everywhere: the system is flawed, as anyone can pose as a consumer, and instances of downright 'extortion' has been shown to be the case to compel merchants to "join" to control negative posts (re: Yelp.com, PriceScope.com, etc.)....

And, for those associations and groups that are worthy to belong to, it is sometimes nothing more than a self-staisfying role that is available, another way to be visible in upholding a set of ethics or standards that don't mean much to the masses anymore anyway. The marketplace today is most definitely stacked against the merchant, and today's consumers not only have an attitude, but are incredibly devious in their schemes, IMO.

I belong to some real high-profile organizations (almost as a pre-requisite), but I am a member of them mostly for the benefits I receive within the industry: the only other memberships, frankly, are more for compliance with banks, government, etc. The customer is most definitely not "always right" in my world, and although I still mutter "Caveat Emptor!" it is every man for himself!

Comment

Then I am VERY HAPPY that I have not offended any person to a point of ceasing a relationship with me. Please be patient with me since I am this new to other people's concepts.

Thanks
                        Diane
                        Diane Milinowski

Comment

hello. I play with the options "Leech Protect" from my Cpanel account, and by mistake, I enable for public_html. Anyway, now I don't have the permission to access my web pages, my domain or subdomains.

On browser I get this error : "You don't have permission to access /index.html on this server."

I disable this option, but nothing happen.

Can anybody help me pls?

Comment

Working...
                          X