uploading big files to FTP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uploading big files to FTP

I was wondering, is there a simple and quick way to upload big files like movies that are a few dosens of megabites? Because when I upload it the usual way of dragging into the FTP it takes a LONG time and it usually signs out of my FTP account before the transfer is complete.
    Thanks.
    FX-BAR Forex News
    My Forex Space Forex Community

Re: uploading big files to FTP

Its posible to change the timeout variable
    or you might wish to use one of the many free ftp programs that are out there............
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Originally posted by Forex View Post
      I was wondering, is there a simple and quick way to upload big files like movies that are a few dosens of megabites? Because when I upload it the usual way of dragging into the FTP it takes a LONG time and it usually signs out of my FTP account before the transfer is complete. Thanks.
      Sounds like you are trying to use the FTP Tool in Blue Voda ..... which is intended only for smaller files as a convenience. For larger files, you would be best to use the FTP tool in FILE MANAGER (in your Control Panel of your account), which is configured completely different and capable of the largest job.
      Keep in mind, though, that it all comes down to your connection when uploading anything anywhere!

Now .... about "preparing downloads" for visitors to your site -- some words of advice:

I use www.YouSendIt.com to transfer large files between individuals, as recipients can establish a Free Account to download from and after the first 100mb, they can very affordably add more download band to their account (this way, the burden is on them, not me).

Even with the many Free FTP tools out there, and including such "services" as YouSendIt, it all comes down to connection speed more than anything else. And, don't be fooled: "hi-speed cable" varies quite a bit Provider to Provider (let alone supposed "cable" vs. DSL vs. Broadband), and is never really as fast as advertised. Unless you own a T1 or a 'half-rack' you will never really have dependable speed or connection, let alone be able to effectively monitor it.

Also beware of bandwidth allowances: although hosting providers have pretty large allowances nowadays, rapidly using them to provide downloads will be a red flag (even if you intend to pay for overages), as it is still considered possible SPAM activity. That is why VodaHost has a 200/hr limit on emails, which as a rule helps you to "measure" not only your allowances, but avoid the experience of your server being shut down.

Vodahost Terms of Service stipulate that you must not use more than 5% of server resources, as well as the following: "... you can not operate a site that specializes in downloads like Download.com or similar and you may not use your VodaHost account as storage repository for MP3, games, video, audio or music files. Your account may not exceed 10% of used [account] space in MP3, games, video, audio or music files (60g)."

Even if you have multiple domains in an account, the fact that it is a single account governs the overall allotments, so spreading downloads around would not help. Depending on the nature of your Business Plan (and whether or not it is demonstrably justifiable to petition for an increased allowance), you may in fact be allowed to raise your account limits of band in similar fashion as that of email (outgoing per hour, not simply a ceiling or the ability to be billed for extra band) by following the process outlined in Terms of Service: "The send mail rate on all VodaHost servers is capped at 200 emails per hour per account, any more than this will be bounced back to the sender. If you require more than this, please open a support ticket stating the reason why the 200 limit should be raised on your account and the EXACT source of your mailing list." This clearly shows that working with VodaHost to plan out a band and server allowance is in fact possible....

Preparing secure permissions for your clients to download larger files from a single managed server is prudent, and is about all you can do: client connections and expectations are pretty much out of your hands and not your responsibility (remember to include that in your Terms/Policies!).

Good Luck!
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
        Sounds like you are trying to use the FTP Tool in Blue Voda ..... which is intended only for smaller files as a convenience. For larger files, you would be best to use the FTP tool in FILE MANAGER (in your Control Panel of your account), which is configured completely different and capable of the largest job.
        Keep in mind, though, that it all comes down to your connection when uploading anything anywhere!

Now .... about "preparing downloads" for visitors to your site -- some words of advice:

I use www.YouSendIt.com to transfer large files between individuals, as recipients can establish a Free Account to download from and after the first 100mb, they can very affordably add more download band to their account (this way, the burden is on them, not me).

Even with the many Free FTP tools out there, and including such "services" as YouSendIt, it all comes down to connection speed more than anything else. And, don't be fooled: "hi-speed cable" varies quite a bit Provider to Provider (let alone supposed "cable" vs. DSL vs. Broadband), and is never really as fast as advertised. Unless you own a T1 or a 'half-rack' you will never really have dependable speed or connection, let alone be able to effectively monitor it.

Also beware of bandwidth allowances: although hosting providers have pretty large allowances nowadays, rapidly using them to provide downloads will be a red flag (even if you intend to pay for overages), as it is still considered possible SPAM activity. That is why VodaHost has a 200/hr limit on emails, which as a rule helps you to "measure" not only your allowances, but avoid the experience of your server being shut down.

Vodahost Terms of Service stipulate that you must not use more than 5% of server resources, as well as the following: "... you can not operate a site that specializes in downloads like Download.com or similar and you may not use your VodaHost account as storage repository for MP3, games, video, audio or music files. Your account may not exceed 10% of used [account] space in MP3, games, video, audio or music files (60g)."

Even if you have multiple domains in an account, the fact that it is a single account governs the overall allotments, so spreading downloads around would not help. Depending on the nature of your Business Plan (and whether or not it is demonstrably justifiable to petition for an increased allowance), you may in fact be allowed to raise your account limits of band in similar fashion as that of email (outgoing per hour, not simply a ceiling or the ability to be billed for extra band) by following the process outlined in Terms of Service: "The send mail rate on all VodaHost servers is capped at 200 emails per hour per account, any more than this will be bounced back to the sender. If you require more than this, please open a support ticket stating the reason why the 200 limit should be raised on your account and the EXACT source of your mailing list." This clearly shows that working with VodaHost to plan out a band and server allowance is in fact possible....

Preparing secure permissions for your clients to download larger files from a single managed server is prudent, and is about all you can do: client connections and expectations are pretty much out of your hands and not your responsibility (remember to include that in your Terms/Policies!).

Good Luck!
        Thanks for the elaboration Vasiliy!
        If my site is mainly for watching videos, listening to audios, and downloading, can I just have my site linked to a few accounts combined together?
        FX-BAR Forex News
        My Forex Space Forex Community

Comment

Originally posted by Forex View Post
          Thanks for the elaboration Vasiliy Vasili!
          If my site is mainly for watching videos, listening to audios, and downloading, can I just have my site linked to a few accounts combined together?
          Originally posted by Vasili View Post
          Even if you have multiple domains in an account, the fact that it is a single account governs the overall allotments, so spreading downloads around would not help. Depending on the nature of your Business Plan (and whether or not it is demonstrably justifiable to petition for an increased allowance), you may in fact be allowed to raise your account limits of band in similar fashion as that of email (outgoing per hour, not simply a ceiling or the ability to be billed for extra band) by following the process outlined in Terms of Service: "The send mail rate on all VodaHost servers is capped at 200 emails per hour per account, any more than this will be bounced back to the sender. If you require more than this, please open a support ticket stating the reason why the 200 limit should be raised on your account and the EXACT source of your mailing list." This clearly shows that working with VodaHost to plan out a band and server allowance is in fact possible....!
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Vasili, even with the bandwidth limits lifted now...is there still a limit on the % of audio files on a site?

Comment

10% is 10%. If you have a one gig of files on your hosting space only 100mb can be audio/video/games

Register/Login Script
              Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Working...
              X