No announcement yet.

Creating A Members Area In My Website!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating A Members Area In My Website!

i'm a complete novice at this but i managed to create my first ever website! (yippeeee your'e all saying), here: http://chriscomix.com but i'm at a complete loss on how to create a members area. can someone shed a light please?, i've tested the tutorials but no luck, i've created files and directories in CPanel but it creates a usename and password for all the pages i've published. I only want to make the members area usename and password protected. please help thanks!.

Re: Creating A Members Area In My Website!

Originally posted by chriscartoons View Post
    i've tested the tutorials but no luck, i've created files and directories in CPanel but it creates a usename and password for all the pages i've published. I only want to make the members area usename and password protected. please help thanks!.
    Simply publish only those "protected pages" to that protected directory! (in BV Publish Dialog: public_html/maindomain.com/members )

* Remember to tweak the interior navigation scheme on those protected pages to maintain continuity to within that directory only, otherwise visitors will have to logon page-to-page.... for instance (and especially): the index page to that protected directory (and each "site" --or directory-- must have an 'index') would look like this > www.MainDomain.com/members/index.html and other pages will need to have the same string > www.MainDomain.com/members/next_page.html etc.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

efxaristo para poly vassili , i'll try that see what happens. thanks bro! much appreciated...but......i might be back LOL...

Comment

Originally posted by chriscartoons View Post
        efxaristo para poly vassili , i'll try that see what happens. thanks bro! much appreciated...but......i might be back LOL...
        Parakalo!
        On added thought, because of the new Control Panels, you may have to add the "/" when publishing using the BV dialog box, to look like this > public_html/maindomain.com/members/

or, as I first suggested > (in BV Publish Dialog: public_html/maindomain.com/members )

Try them both to see which works nowadays ... LOL
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

yassu vassilis me ta buzukia sou!! (i'm greek too LOL, but been in the UK too long), anyway, just wanted to tell you what sequence i tried (as per above mentioned), and still no luck , is there something that i'm missing?

sequence:
          ----------
          (assuming all links are perfect)

create member page in BV

right click page and write in the properties 'members/index.html'

save page as 'members'

publish

open internet explorer

click on website link to find members page

it shows 'webpage cannot be found'

or

go to control panel

click on file manager

create file or folder (?) create folder named 'members'

right click file

click on 'password protect'

takes me to password protect directories

click on password protect this directory

name the protected directory (members)

click save (it shows permission up-dated)

click go back

create user

click add/modify user

then it shows 'the user ***** now has the password *******

go back to IE (internet explorer)

click on website to find members page

shows 'the page you are requesting cannot be shown'

vassili can you please tell me where i'm going wrong?, been up all nite and feel exhausted!! efxaristo!!
          Chris (xristos).

Comment

Hi ...

To create a password protected area as part of your website do the following.

Log into your control panel and choose the folder (directory) where you want this membership area. If it is your main domain, choose public_html if it is an add on domain choose public_html/add on domain - go inside of this folder and create a folder - create a folder called members (or whatever you like).

Then choose password protect directories under Security in control panel

A drop down list of all your domains will show up .. when you see the domain that contains that new folder you made, click the folder icon and go inside of this domain to find your new folder called members.

Now is when you click on this folder to password protect it ...

It will ask you to name this folder, give it the same name

It will also ask you to create a username and password for this directory - you can choose whatever you like here, this will be how you get into the directory ..

Once you have done so, publish an index page to this directory, as well publish all pages that you want protected to this directory.

Note: You will need to also create on your own computer, a folder for this new directory you are creating since you will be making and publishing an index page ... so create on your computer in MYDOCUMENTS/BLUEVODA a folder called members site or whatever you like, when you create and save this new index page, save it in this folder, this prevents overwriting your exisiting index page for your main domain .. save all pages you create for this password protected directory in this folder on your own computer.

It will either be public_html/members or public_html/domain/members

To then get to this page you can either type

or www.domain.com/members/nameofpage.html

Either or will bring you to the log in page where you will then apply your username and password that you created for this folder.

P.S. You can create a new username and password for everyone, depending how many members you have will decide whether or not you want to do this manually, or you could seek the member watdaflip who offers a membership script that will assign all users their own unique passwords - he charges a small fee for this service ... it's up to you ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
            02036089024 / United Kingdom
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
            X