Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blog, text on page, pdf?

Hi folks,
    Another very very green newbie here. First thanks to all the very generous members contributing here. I'm trying to do a lot of homework.
    I'll put my questions in a numbered list here:

1. I would like to put a novel on my site in installments. I'm wondering the best way to do that and add chapters on a weekly basis.

2. Is there a way that people would not be able to copy and print it? Read only?

3. I'm wondering if I just write articles on an article page, then have a contact page where people could write and critique an article or the novel, or would it be better to have a blog?

4. I've studied naval's article on the fixed menu that could be added to each page. Is it important to do it with css or is it ok to do it from the web building tools here. I'm paying attention to SE for the future.

Ok, appreciate advice. I don't want to go 40 miles down a dead end and start over if it can be avoided.

Peace to all, Shoemaker

Re: blog, text on page, pdf?

Hi Shoemaker

First of all.........welcome to the voda family.

Its good that you are looking for a plan and that you are doing some homework.....thats a good start.

If you do (1)
    then (2) is going to be the problem.

You could publish some interesting/juicy extracts from each chapter each week and then let readers download a protected pdf file.

Result: (1) and (2) resolved, or at least one posible solution.

(3) Why not do both and get the best of both worlds......changing content is what the SEO's are looking for.

(4) Start with the tools available and learn as you go along.....after all, you did say, one chapter per week.......so not that many pages will need to be changed in 4 to six weeks of learning new tips and tricks.

Good luck and I look forward to your 1st instalment..............lol
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Hi, an article in instalments is a good thing for a site & will help with the SE’s with an updated area every week.

As for stopping visitors from coping, it’s not an easy thing to do because of the nature of the web being open to all. There is book software out there that has a lot of things built in to help with fraud, but there will nearly always be a way around it.

A blog is a good idea for this type of thing, or if you are thinking of a few books or articles? Possibly having a forum for views & chats about each item. You could even use a forum for your work.

Navals php method is very handy & will save lots of time if your site becomes larger. If you do use this? It can be handy to split your pages into 3 php areas (Top/side/footer) & a center area for each page. It will save time at a latter date.

Ah! Davids got here 1st.

Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi chris..........dosnt matter who was first........good comments as usual.
        Have fun
        Regards..... David

Comment

Muchisimus gracias to general David (i used to have a farm in canary islands) and thanks alot to general Chris:

I'll begin with David:

There's a published mystery writer named J.A. Konrath (very generous with advice) who put several chapters of one of his books on his site in pdf. Also here I saw Carbon Terry put his newbies tips on pdf., then I saw Beth put her SE tips on pdf. Is there a compelling reason for this?

I'm thinking of giving the novel away for the first run through. Then putting a clamp on it for pay per view, if I'm not laughed off the continent first. So . . . if I put it in text on pages in installments is that just as good as pdf? If I did that I'd want to put naval's menu into effect to prevent nervous breakdown I'd think.

So, the above addressed Chris also. Both of you helped with good SE tips. Chris, perhaps I might put the story in regular text on page, then use a blog for my notes, articles, and feedback from readers? When you're a first time novelist (I do get read alot on writersdigest.com) you're sticking your neck out, especially when writing in the mystic, and it's necessary to filter some comments. That is possible in blog format, right?

OK, generals, thanks again from sad sack beetle bailey on kp.

Comment

Hi again Chris,

Putting Naval's technique into action is a daunting look down from a high dive for a first-timer.

You said:

Naval's php method is very handy & will save lots of time if your site becomes larger. If you do use this? It can be handy to split your pages into 3 php areas (Top/side/footer) & a center area for each page. It will save time at a latter date.

OK, I'm very careful with your time. Shall I'll put the different areas on one php menu page or should I make different pages for each area?

As you suggested, I'm going to leave the css until later when I'm more experienced.

Thanks again, Shoemaker

Comment

Answers in red...............

Originally posted by shoemaker View Post
              Muchisimus gracias to general David (i used to have a farm in canary islands) and thanks alot to general Chris:

I'll begin with David:

I saw Carbon Terry put his newbies tips on pdf., then I saw Beth put her SE tips on pdf. Is there a compelling reason for this?

yes, if its on a pdf then readers can download it themselves and its not published. PDF's can also be protected from copying or changing the content. can be used at your pay for view stage......

I'm thinking of giving the novel away for the first run through. Then putting a clamp on it for pay per view, if I'm not laughed off the continent first. So . . . if I put it in text on pages in installments is that just as good as pdf?

If your giving the first novel away then publish it as text, you can then remove those pages from the web at your 2nd stage.

If I did that I'd want to put naval's menu into effect to prevent nervous breakdown I'd think.

Think about how many chapters you are going to write and then decide whether to invest your time with navals menu ideas..........

Have fun
              Regards..... David

Comment

David,

Very clear answers. Keepers for sure.

Your third point. The book is 76,000 words, about 175 pages in a hard copy. Could I make my pages on my site, what 1200 long? I wonder the best way to go about this logistically.

Thanks again, ****

Comment

1200 long is not very long especially if you catch the readers interest.(could be more....)

You dont have to write it all at once either...you can write several paragraphs in a single text box etc and then be able to move them around.

When you come to stage 2, then removing them from the web would be quick and simple AND you still have the original manuscript/pages on your computer.....
                  Have fun
                  Regards..... David

Comment

David, Excellent, sir!

Now, Would I just copy the portion I want to publish from a word processor document like Office Word, or Works Word, or (here's a dilly) Pages, which is a Mac word processor, then paste the section onto my page in my voda site? Or do I use a text editing program?

Peace, ****

P.S. If a page on my site can be quite long, that means I could put fifteen or twenty hard copy length pages on one of my voda site pages, right? That simplifies a lot if it's the case. Then I wouldn't 'absolutely' have to use Naval's php technique in my menu because I would not have more than about fifteen or twenty pages. But then, maybe I should use Naval's technique anyway. The light can shine even for a dumby like me, sometimes.

Comment

If you just copy from a word proccessor then you will have problems......

Use a text program like notepad.........

Just bear in mind that the longer the page, the longer it will take to load.

If it takes longer than 3 or 4 seconds to load, your reader has gone.......

I would advise taking the time to use naval tip as it should save time in the long run....and once learnt, is reusable in the future.

Dont forget that you could use a word on a page that would link the reader to the next page anyway
                      i.e. next page and/or last page....just like reading a book heh.......lol

lookup "top of page" and "book markers" as well...they could come in handy.

have fun
                      Have fun
                      Regards..... David

Comment

If you are going to publish your work on your website and you don't want viewers to quickly copy your work ... and you just want it for read only purposes .. create your work in word documents and convert to pdf using the free pdf converter.

You would then upload your pdf's via the ftp method

Tools - ftp manager - connect using your same passwords .. find your document, slide it into the correct directory and then link to it using the directory and name of document .. e.g. www.mydomain.com/nameofpdf.pdf

You can then apply links to your page for any documents you upload in this manner.

It's a good idea to name your pdfs the nature of the document .. being careful to exactly link to this in the same way .. all small letters, no spaces unless words are joined together by the use of the _ underscore symbol.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                        02036089024 / United Kingdom
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Just a thought on people printing without your permission. If you post your pages as white letters on black background very few people will want to print them.

Tom
                          CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
                          CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
                          CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

David, again point by point, excellent.

David said:

Dont forget that you could use a word on a page that would link the reader to the next page anyway
                            i.e. next page and/or last page....just like reading a book heh.......lol

Now, I don't want to get on nerves for asking too much, but it's provocative. Please just ignore if you've had enough.

David's above comment makes me think that I'd like to have a simple menu on the home page, like four buttons, or so. One would say 'enter story' then there would be internal links like the page numbers at the bottom of the forum pages here. Am I on the right track? Thanks again David.

Hi Lady Eye,

Thanks for taking the time here. It sounds exactly like I want to do. I must study up on ftp method which I haven't heard of yet. I'll do it. I'm contemplating closely all that you said. Thanks.

Tom Finley, good imput. In long documents one must pay attention to the strain on the reader's eyes. Seriph fonts and light backgrounds is what the experienced ones say alot. Peace.

Comment

Hi, have a look at this site
                              If you want send me your email address via my site or post it here & i can send you the BV pages that made this page up to give you some ideas & a start on naval's php method if your not quite sure.
                              Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Working...
                              X