Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I know which file are password protected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I know which file are password protected?

I am trying to password protect the sub-directory. Yes, I created a new folder. :) Oh geminey crickets.....this is getting to complex for me. How do I know if the file is created......cP? I am not quite so sure.
    Cheeseeeist!
    Cyber

Re: How do I know which file are password protected?

If you exit back to the cPanel "Home" page, and re-enter via the "Password Protect" icon, the page will list all the currently established directories (and offer the means to add more, or to delete any of the listed).

But ... you should have printed out the Directory Confirmation Page (which both confirms the action and lists the password you created). You should also print out the Confirmation Pages after you Add Members with Passwords also -- keep them in a folder of even a binder for ready-reference. Believe me, they come in handy
    It's actually a good idea for anything you do in cPanel.....to better manage your account!

Using the File Manager to "see" the directory is archaic and redundant, so why waste your time?
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

I don't see the Directory Confirmation Page.
      Cheeseeeist!
      Cyber

Comment

It is the page that pops up immediately after creating a directory, or adding a Memeber or Password....then is goes back to the 'front' page again. You just have to anticipate that page and print it out off the browser.

No big. You can also see your directories in the public_html pages --- the protected directories listed in alphabetical order will have a padlock next to them. (assuming you have the new cP)

I'm off for the night. You did good, now relax and get familiar within cPanel. LOL

Comment

EXPLORE ..... until you come across a list of all the "directories" in your account, and see a padlock next to one of them ....

(just don't delete or change anything while walking around in the dark!) ;>
          nite!

Comment

Alrightey.....I read and listen to video for password protected file.....Alrightey my problematic password protection continues.....

Here's my story:
            First, I added a password protect on my file ....and walla! password protected everything....lol......NOT what I wanted.

Second, I created a subdirectory file and password protected the file...Yippee it works but now not password protected...I checked the site...It's not password protected.

Now, my Q: What's missing? I can't tell......LOL I know its me LOL
            Cheeseeeist!
            Cyber

Comment

I deleted subdirectory with padlock(I know not recommended) and created a new file as usual password protected...But yet still not working..What step missing? Thanks ....No doubt it's all me :)
              Cheeseeeist!
              Cyber

Comment

You are getting confsed at how things are set up in the Control Panel, and what all you need to do to protect your "areas" ..... And, it may be you have not published your pages to the right "directories" whether or not they were established properly.

(First thing you need to learn is not to use the DELETE function too quickly --- use the Install/Uninstall options as they make you pause to think before it's too late).

If you need help, email me with you account access, and I will go in and straighten it out for you. (It's now 10:23 PS PST, and I will be checking email at 11 and then back to my own work before retiring without checking email again)

Comment

ooooPSY too late...deleted already but no worries nothing on file....I wasn't confused with cpanel.....What do you mean pages not published to the right directories? public_html right?
                  Cheeseeeist!
                  Cyber

Comment

No, as I emailed you a while back:

When publishing pages to a password protected area, you must add the specified directory in the Blue Voda Publish Dialog box, like this: publish_html/yourdomain.com/nameofprotectedarea

Also, even though it is not the index of your main website, the first page you need to publish to this password protected area must also be called index since every directory (even password protected directories) must have an index page to present, and only one!
                    This might illuminate why you must be especially detailed when creating the navigation page-to-page within this protected area: for you protected "Home" page it will be www domainname.com/protecteddirectory/index.html for if it anything else, it will require visitors to log back in because it will force them out of the directory by looking for the "face" page unspecified.
                    The next page is whatever else it may be: www domainname.com/protecteddirectory/page_two.html and so on.

So that is why you need to be careful about publishing, and about the structure of your site navigation. Still debated is the practice of initial navigation to protected areas (and logon) via a new browser or not: personally, I prefer not to set a new browser, that way not only is there less chance of a visitor using a logged browser to circumvent the password sequence, but if they cannot logon, they can only return to the referring (main) page anyway...

Did that "read" properly?

Comment

oh geminy geminy more crickets to read.......rrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... :)

ROFL Thanks you're so kind. Sooner or later .....I will be above water on this........

Here's what I did"

On cPanel:
                      I created a subdirectory file named member and password protected as usual..click save..also created a member user with password{so I can tested it}

I created a html file called member.....saved it as index too???
                      www domainname.com/protecteddirectory/index.html

Alrightey

I will give it a twirl.....heh heh thanks
                      Cheeseeeist!
                      Cyber

Comment

On cpanel:

I created the file as you said.
                        www domainname.com/protecteddirectory/index.html
                        .....Thanks :)
                        Cheeseeeist!
                        Cyber

Comment

Thanks it works. Now, how do I replace it with my own log in instead of the regular pop up?
                          Cheeseeeist!
                          Cyber

Comment

Working...
                          X