No announcement yet.

very new to this & very "stuck" (help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very new to this & very "stuck" (help)

hi , am very new to this ,am trying to put a forum onto my website but i dont wont my forum to look like this one here (blue voda's ) i would like my forum to have a different style then blue vodas! i have found some styles that i like from reading another guys (thread) on this forum the guy said to do this :

To install a style

go to this site http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/catdb.php?db=2
    1)click on one of the folders and choose whever style you want

2)download it unto your pc

3)upload the zip to your / public_html / forum / templates

4) when its finished uploading click on the zip file click extract

5) a window will open up when you click extract when it finish loading close it

6) go to your forum sign on as the admin Go to Administration Panel scroll down to were it says style management then click on add style then install it and thats it... .................................................. ..........................I also have looked at all the www.vodahost.com/tut_phpbb.htm and it told me to go to fantastico in my cpanal and go to phpbb2 ... but what i am trying to understand is this website that the guy gave me up top is, it the same website in my fantastico in my cpanal ...and also if i was to wont to download the style forum from www.phpbb.com/phpbb/catdb.php?db=2 that i do like, would i still have to follow the same instructions/proccess in the (vodahost.com/tut_phpbb.htm) and the same instructions/proccess in the cpanal fantastico to get the forum, from that website up top to put onto my website (or) do i do what the guy says to do up top an thats all, Only ????

Re: very new to this & very "stuck" (help)

All the bold text and so on is not needed, a simple arial font will work quite nicely when posting your question.

You install the original phpBB forum on your website by going to Fantastico. You get the styles from another website and use the instructions you just posted to upload and install. Once you've installed phpBB through Fantastico, everything else is done through FTP.
    My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Re: better understanding (racefan20) ?

Originally posted by racefan20
      All the bold text and so on is not needed, a simple arial font will work quite nicely when posting your question.

You install the original phpBB forum on your website by going to Fantastico. You get the styles from another website and use the instructions you just posted to upload and install. Once you've installed phpBB through Fantastico, everything else is done through FTP.
      Let me get a better understanding : So i do have to set up my phpbb forum in Fantastico before i can even atempt to use any other styles from another website (Yes or No) ? Thank you!

Comment

Yes.
        My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Yes.
          thank you again, i have a few more questions: (racefan20) what do i do if i wont 3 different forums on my website each different type of subjects ,how would i do that would i have to do the whole fantastico set up 3 different times for each one an then do the other styes from the other website 3 different times for each one of my forums?

Comment

Why dont you have one forum with 3 diffrent sections. Just like
            we do. It will be much easier for you to manage.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
            02036089024 / United Kingdom
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by VodaHost
              once i get them up i have 12 family M to help me manage them ,and also i just like the idea of having 3 different styles for my visiters to go to because am treating them as if they were chat rooms (but open view chat rooms for any an every one that comes to my site to see the text by every one.... so could you please help me do this i have a few Questions about seting them up and about the (Installing phpbb from scratch Tutorials) ?

Comment

Originally posted by VodaHost
                Question (1):how do i set up my Ftp to (Binary Mode & auto mode) for forum ? (2):first the tutorials says to go to change permissions on config.php... then in the section where it says:(in the welcome to phpbb2 installation) ,in that part of that tutorial ,when it says to point my browser to the Install.phpfile http//www.yoursite.com/forum/install/install.php ...do i have to really put that my real website name in the address box of the browser while am trying to install forum or not ? am not sure that i really get that part! (3):what do i put for database host name/dsn: do i put localhost or bluevoda in that spot ?(4): how do i find out if i have database available for forum ? (5):in Database type: which would be the right MYSQL 3x (or) Etc. for what am trying to do ? (6): In database configuuration: for 3 different forums what do i have to do/put for (Prefix for Tables in datebase ? (7):How do i find out what my database name will be ? (8):petty much everything on this page i need better understanding ? (9):and also my Question that i asked racefan20 about how do i set up my site with 3 different forums ? thank you all for your help

Comment

You don't have to do anything regarding databases or installation. Just go to Fantastico, click on phpBB, new installation, name (but don't create) the directory (forum, forums, message board, etc) and let Fantastico do the work for you. Questions 1 through 8 will be answered for you by Fantastico.

If you want to have three separate forums, simply install in three different directories. All you have to do is give them different names. But yes, you'll have to do the install three separate times in Fantastico and upload the styles three different times. Creating three forums should take you around ten minutes, uploading of styles included.
                  My NASCAR Forum

Comment

You don't have to do anything regarding databases or installation. Just go to Fantastico, click on phpBB, new installation, name (but don't create) the directory (forum, forums, message board, etc) and let Fantastico do the work for you. Questions 1 through 8 will be answered for you by Fantastico.

If you want to have three separate forums, simply install in three different directories. All you have to do is give them different names. But yes, you'll have to do the install three separate times in Fantastico and upload the styles three different times. Creating three forums should take you around ten minutes, uploading of styles included.
                    Do i go to phpbb or phpbb2 ?

Comment

phpBB2
                      My NASCAR Forum

Comment

phpBB2
                        thanks again

Comment

Anytime, my friend.
                          My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Anytime, my friend.
                            i have been trying 6 hours to put a new skin/style from another website over top of my forum that blue voda give me ,i have looked at the blue tutorials on forums, but its just something that am not doing right ,i went to my control panel into fantastico and went to phpbb2 ,an did every thing it says to do i believe that part worked fine,but in the admin department of my board, it says to upload the style/skin that i wont to use from another website up to the template directory for my board but i dont know how to do that :and also am not even sure if i had to even do what i did by setting it up in the fantastico in my control panel to even do what am trying to do or not, or if this can be done with out fantastico, this is what i got off of another guys thread where to find an how to upload & download an set up these new styles from this other website, can some one plz help me understand it all Better step by step ?

To install a style

go to this site http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/catdb.php?db=2
                            1)click on one of the folders and choose whever style you want

2)download it unto your pc

3)upload the zip to your / public_html / forum / templates

4) when its finished uploading click on the zip file click extract

5) a window will open up when you click extract when it finish loading close it

6) go to your forum sign on as the admin Go to Administration Panel scroll down to were it says style management then click on add style then install it and thats :

Comment

Answered in the other thread you posted on this topic. Impatience is not a virtue.
                              My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Working...
                              X