X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Publishing and linking

Hi folks,

I'm a real newbie having a little trouble with building my new website www.naturalbeautyreport.com and I need a little help.

Firstly, when I make changes to my webpage these are shown as changed in the profile view, but not when published to the web. I have added "No Caching" to my web pages but it seems to no avail.

Secondly, there is a problem with my links which has got me beat. They work internally from page to page, but will not link to another website. I have looked at the videos umpting times and searched the forums without finding any answers. Could it be that it is associated with the above problem whixh seems as though on publishing there are no changes to my webpages?

Any help would be appreciated.

Barry

Re: Publishing and linking

not sure where you are trying to link Acnezine to. right now it links to:
    http://www.naturalbeautyreport.com/<a%20href=
    it looks like you have tried to put a <a href+=reference in here> and this is not necessary. lets say you wanted to link this to another website not yours so the link would be:
    http://www.anotherwebsite.com
    if you wanted to link it to your website but another page the link would look like:
    http://wwwnatuarlbeautyreport.com/nameofpage.html

if you still cant get it i would be happy to walk you through the process a couple of times and by then you will become another linking pro. you can contact me through my website, contact us page.

hope this helps,
    mrmagoo144
    www.videopostcards.info
    mrmagoo144
    www.videopostcards.info

Comment

Thank you for your help.

I have changed all the links as you suggested and in the preview mode they all work well. However, even though I have published the page with the changes, the links do not work on the web.

Am I to understand that it takes some time for the changes to take effect on the web following a re-publish?

Barry

Comment

It appears as if you have resolved this problem.
        Be advised that by using uppercase letters in your page names that Search Engine spiders/bots will not index those pages. A sitemap will also miss those pages.
        CarbonTerry
        Semper Fi
        Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
        Zone 5 Photo
        My USMC

Comment

Hi Carbon Terry,

Thanks for your input. After saving my pages, I became aware that uppercase in the file name was a no-no, but try as I might, I couldn't get the amended pages to take up the lower case letters.

As luck would have it, I have stumbled upon the solution and now all is well.

I do have another problem that you may be able to help me with. When I first produced my pages, I didn't select page properties and set the meta tags etc. On my index page I used a template and whenever I attemp to select page properties I get "image properties" that will not allow me to enter any meta tags or the like.

How do I resolve this problem?

Regards,

Barry

Comment

Increase the length of your page and then scroll past the template image to right click and get to Page properties.
            If that doesn't work, delete the template image and then right click on an empty are to access Page Properties.
            Then re-insert the template image and "move to back".
            CarbonTerry
            Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
            Zone 5 Photo
            My USMC

Comment

Hi Carbo Terry, Thank you again for your help. Works a treat.

I'm working through your good advice to the newbies that you have published, and finding them great.

One question that I have not arrived at the answer yet, is How long does it take for the page to change on the web after using BV Publish? It seems to me that it takes some time for the changes to occur and in the interim can I take it that if the changes to the page are shown in the BV Preview, all will be well on the web after a time.

Its either that or I'm having trouble clearing my cache. How can I tell if by holding Ctl key and refreshing a page that my cache is clearing?

Barry

Comment

Hi,
                You could also have reached Page Properties: View/Page properties
                Changes are immediate. Holding Ctrl and refreshing should clear the cache quickly. Depressing the F5 key multiple times can work also.
                What browser are you using?
                CarbonTerry
                Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                Zone 5 Photo
                My USMC

Comment

I suggest that if you have any "unused" duplicate pages in your public_html folder that you open the Blue FTP and delete those pages. Many times a page is published as both .html and .php
                  The html has preference as far as the web is concerned. If you keep publishing a .php page you may not see the change because the web keeps picking up the html version.
                  CarbonTerry
                  Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                  Zone 5 Photo
                  My USMC

Comment

Hi Carbon terry,

I'm using Firefox and have just downloaded the latest edition. Doesn't seem to have changed anything as I'm still not showing any recent changes to my page on the web.

As for your recent post about Blue FTP and php, you are talking a foreign language to me. I don't understand how to find the public_html folder.

Sorry to be such a pain, but I feel as though your help is making things much clearer for me.

Many thanks,

Barry

Comment

FTP
                      CPanel
                      Lots of information for you in the above links.
                      Your server contains all files needed to have a website.
                      One of the folders/directories is the public_html file/folder/directory (the three terms are interchangeable). Everything that you publish goes into the public_html file.
                      To get to the public_html file watch the FTP tutorial. You can also open the CPanel by clicking on the link that ends in "cpanel" that came with your "Welcome" email. Use the same username/password that is used for publishing.
                      Once inside the CPanel, click on the "File Manager" icon. That will also take you to the public_html folder. Open that folder and all of your pages, images, graphics will be there.
                      If there are any duplicate pages, one will have to be (for instance) index.html and index.php
                      Delete the one that is incorrect.
                      Unless you have some special navigation or a form on the page, .html will be the one to keep.
                      Carefully check your links vs names for a mixture of uppercase/lowercase
                      problems. Easy to make a mistake there.
                      CarbonTerry
                      Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                      Zone 5 Photo
                      My USMC

Comment

You have a page:

and a page:

One is lowercase " a " and the other is uppercase " A "
                        Which one is correct?
                        CarbonTerry
                        Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                        Zone 5 Photo
                        My USMC

Comment

Hi Carbon Terry,

The page with acnezine in lower case is the correct one. What is of interest is that I cannot bring that page up on my web browser.

Thank you for all of the info on FTP and cpanel. I will have to put my reserch on back burner for now as I'm off to bed and then a busy day tomorrow.

I really appreciate your efforts to get me on the straight and narrow.

Many thanks,

Barry

Comment

The reason you can't see the correct page is because you are linked to the page with the uppercase " A "
                            CarbonTerry
                            Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                            Zone 5 Photo
                            My USMC

Comment

Hi Carbon Terry,

Thank you for all of your help. I think that I have resoved all of my linking problems and now I know a lot more about FTP than before.

I seem to be having a problem or two that takes time to resolve with regard to publishing. I make changes in Blue Voda that work a treat in the Profile view, but do not appear in my browser, despite refreshing and F5 use. For example on my www.naturalbeautyreport.com/index.html page I have a button that works but does not have the title Acnezine showing. This has got me beat at the moment, but I suspect that it will perform as advertised sometime in the future.

I have also found that having deleted pages in FTP with uppercase intials, and changing all the links to reflect the correct addresses, my browser kept defalting to the pages with uppercase initials, which of course now no longer exist. I found the only way to resove this issue was to start at square one and delete the link in Blue Voda and start over again.

Frustrating, but I got there in the end.

Regards,

Barry

Comment

Working...
                              X