definitions in this new language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• definitions in this new language

Okay, so I'm old and thus not up on the jargon.
    What is the "name server"? I set up a site for my husband already hosted by BV, rmackintosh.com, about as simple a site as is possible, one page only.
    Now I want to add my site on, and have designed a simple one pager for myself too. The instructions say to go to the billing site, so far so good, log into my domains and there is my newly purchased site name, but his doesn't show up, should I be logged in somewhere else? Then the instructions say to change the name server. Umm to what exactly?
    And further, (assuming that I do find out how and where to do that), I can't save both pages as "index" can I, so how do I save my page?
    I really need a simple glossary of terms that explains it very step by step not using computer jargon and assuming complete ignorance.

Re: definitions in this new language

A name server is what houses your domain NAME. IE: mackintosh.com.

You have to PURCHASE this name from a domain registrar. This is NOT the same as hosting. Once you have purchased the name you login at the place where you bought it and point it to the HOSTING server. Then when you type in www.mackintosh.com your site will appear.

For your second site.. you do the same except you must also login to CPANEL and click ADDON domain. It creates the folder for you according to what you type in that form there. So now you have a HOME for your second domain and when you publish in bv you will change the path to public_html/NEWDOMAIN or public_html/www.newdomain.com/ whichever way your panel sets it up.

Login to your domain registrar and point this name to the HOST.. now your second domain will appear on the net too.

If you do this from vodahost you must login to vodahost billing and manage your domains there.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

I bought both domains from Blue Voda. And I think I did the right thing, changing the dns server for my domain name to ns1.vodahost.com.
      When I log into the control panel, will the other site be there? I'm having trouble logging in right now since the username and password don't work and I have a message into support waiting for that to be resolved.

Comment

You should have two fields.. ns1 and ns2 for both domains.

Im NOT sure what youre asking.. Which cpanel.. your server cpanel or voda billing panel? If you purchased the second domain thru voda .. then yes it will be the billing panel

If you mean your account cpanel if you didnt create it.. then NO it wont be there. You have to create an ADDON and then publish the pages. If you did this already.. then YES it will be there.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
        X