Renaming files in public_html folder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renaming files in public_html folder

I am setting up a website at www.krcdirect.co.uk selling downloadable products. The first is a video training set, & I have put the zip files to be downloaded in the public_html folder using the ftp manager.

My zip files are called 30MinuteSite_1_to_7.zip & 30MinuteSite_8_to14.zip. I have since read in the excellent post at http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...-download.html that I should make these files names short & avoid capital letters.

My first question is can I rename these files in the public_html folder? - it will not seem to let me do this, but maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Second, the video set is in 2 zip files - is it possible to make this into 1 download?

Thanks,

Val

Re: Renaming files in public_html folder

Well the permissions maybe be set to not allow this so you could in file manager change the permissions. If its set to 644 then change it to 755. Depending on what you USED to zip it.. you may have to REZIP them and reup

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi, try changing the name from your actual cpanel.
      On the having 2 files in one download, try creating a new folder & placing the other 2 folders in this one & then zip the new folder with the two folder inside it. (If that makes sense) lol

I see Karen has a good thought wile i was slooooooowly typing.
      Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi Karen,

I tried changing the permissions to 755, but it still won't let me change the names. I think I'll delete them in the public_html folder, rename them on my own hard drive, & then copy them over again in the ftp manager, & see if this works.

Thanks for your quick reply,

Val

Comment

Hi Chris,

that worked! I was able to change the names in the cpanel. I think I'll have to redo it anyway if I want the 2 files in 1 download, but anyway, good information to know!

Thanks,

Val

Comment

Ok,

now I've renamed the file 30ms1.zip, (it is in public_html folder) & placed my link as http://www.krcdirect.co.uk/30ms1.zip (from www.krcdirect.co.uk/30MinuteSite_download.html), but it will not work. Is my file path wrong, or is there some other obvious problem?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Val

Comment

Sorry, the correct address of the page with the download link is www.krcdirect.co.uk/30MinuteMiniSite_download.html

Comment

Working...
              X