Hiding page address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiding page address

I know I have read an answer to my question in the forums somewhere..........but have just spent the last hour searching and can't find it.

I want to hide some of my page addresses from the general public and the search engines but I do not want passwords.

It is for download page addresses and the corresponding PDF address. The address will be emailed to the client after purchase.

www.patternsbysandra.com

I hope I have this in the right forum. I posted earlier today (another question) and soon as I looked at the post, realised that I had it in the wrong forum.
    Sandra

Re: Hiding page address

Hi Sandra

creae a new folder on your site and place your pages in that.

If the folder is not linked, search engines will not bother you.

But, if its on the web.............. it can be got at......protect it.

Why not set up a small membership script that only clients would be invited to join (see my free one) then your pages would be protected.
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Thanks David, and I already have your script..Lots of ideas for it but I don't think it will work for my PDF pattern purchases. There will be lots of different ones and I email out the download page after I have cleared payment.

so can I place the download pages in the folder too and I am thinking by what you just said that my download pages are not linked to my index or any of my other pages so maybe I do not need them in a folder.

Yes - No - Maybe
      Sandra

Comment

I am a realist about digital download stuff. So i realise that if someone with the technical skill wants they can get my PDF patterns.
        But what the heck most of them would be too busy on the net to want to start stitching.

There is the other side of the coin of course, many people (maybe even most) think that copyright law does not apply to them and would be mortified if it was suggested that they were thieves. So I imagine some people will forward my digital patterns to friends who do not want to spend the money to buy it.

Theft of copyrighted work is not new to the internet.......The photocopier certainly made plagarism and theft easier than typing or longhand.....Lets not forget taperecorders.....etc. etc. etc.

But I just don't want to encourage it.
        Sandra

Comment

Working...
        X