Page Margains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Page Margains?

Ok I have been pounding my brain trying to get this to work, in theory it sounds simple enough but still I cannot get it to work. I want to make a page width wide enough so as when I (or someone) visits the site my page fits the left to right evenly. Meaning there is no white space on either side and you dont have to scroll left or right to see the rest of the page. I have tried to set margains, guessed at the l/r width previewed, resized, previewed, resized over and over again. I only want the page width perfectly sized so you dont have to scroll left and right. Is that so hard? Apparently for me it is. This is my third site (using blue voda) I have built. The first and second I built I did just what I am having to do now: guess, preview, resize etc. I cant handle that anymore lol.

So.....whats the left/right margin I need to set (if thats the proper way) so that my visitor only has to scroll up and down the page and not left and right?

So first correct answers gets a umm.. cupcake? lol Oh and of course a huge TY for making my life a bit better.

-Regards,

DM Owner

-P.S. Please dont refer me to a video I need to watch I just need the page margains for L/R that are universal or resize automatically when viewed on different monitors.

Re: Page Margains?

With BV you won't get an EXACT fit from left to right on ALL pc's. But what you can do is get it as wide as possible for less white margins either side on most pc's but probably not 'widescreens'.

If you build your site at no more than 1000 wide (personally i recommend 940-980 max, then there will be only a very very limited amount of users, those still on 800 x 600 screen resolution that may have to scroll sidewards.

If you want 100% then stick to 800 wide, but I think you'll find most here will reccommend going wider now.
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

TY, I will go +/- 1000 wide, nothing drives me more crazy (when viewing a website mine or someone elses) then having to scroll left to right. I could go up and down all day long but left to right is just too much.

-Regards,
      DM

Comment

I would be interested to see your previous sites to see how you have done there?
        Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Marincky,

ok sure, however I would like to state first of all if I am breaking any rules please tell me now: I own a computer repair business out of my home, I also am beginning to build sites for myself and others, here is where I am not sure if I am breaking any rules or not. If I am please tell me. I am not sure of the exact term to use but I will say so far I have built one webpage for an individual using blue voda. I signed him up for an account with Voda Host and got him his domain name/hosting, I then built his site for him in which he paid me for my service. If this is a violation please let me know immediately. If this is not I will post his website address which I built using Blue Voda. Then second thing I would like to say is the second site I built was under my own account and is another domain I own www.defendersofguthix.com this is the site I first built to learn how to use Blue Voda. I am unsure whether or not this page still exist because I had a problem transferring my current domain (which I previously owned through a unsuperior but very popular hosting company) (again not sure if I am allowed to state the name) I wanted my current site which I am in the process of building now for my business to be my top level domain (?) and not a sub-domain. I was informed by Voda Host that in order to make this site www.digitalizedmemories.com my top level domain I would have to delete my first site (defenders) and make DM my primary domain and if I so choose make defenders a sub domain. I am unsure if I did that correctly.

UPDATE! I have just checked www.defendersofguthix.com and it is still hosted and operational, not completely done as of yet however you can still see the type of work I do as you requested.

RECAP:

www.defendersofguthix.com - My first ever site
          www.digitalizedmemories.com - My current in progress site
          www. - The third site I have built after I make sure I didnt do anything illegal I will edit this post and give that domain address as well.

So there you go. My 3 sites I built, enjoy!

--All criticism welcome good or bad, Im a big boy I can handle it lol!

-DM

Comment

I'll answer your main question first before I look at these sites, as long as this other person you built the site for has a separate VH account, then no you are doing nothing wrong. Just keep YOUR account for sites that belong to you only (You can have as many as you want on this account), anything you build for someone else must have a separate account.

I will just have a look at your other sites and come back to you in a few minutes...

Comment

Ok, your defenders site width is fine, however, I would suggest opening up that site in BV and just OFF the page, on the black background, right click and then choose page properties. Then tick the box 'centre in browser' then republish that page. Then your page will appear in the centre of ALL browsers on all pc's.

Comment

FYI For You!

http://www.marinckygroup.co.uk/contact.html - is a 404 havent tried any other link.

Thought you would like to know.

-DM

Comment

Re: FYI For You!

Originally posted by DM Owner View Post
                  http://www.marinckygroup.co.uk/contact.html - is a 404 havent tried any other link.

Thought you would like to know.

-DM
                  ooops, my fault, I changed it to a php page recently and forgot to change it, thank you, it should work now.

Comment

Yes definatly this 3rd site (not mentioned earlier) was purchased by a 3rd party (not I or VodaHost) so being I havent broken any rules the site name is www.seleyhides.com

-Ty

Comment

Yes definatly this 3rd site (not mentioned earlier) was purchased by a 3rd party (not I or VodaHost) so being I havent broken any rules the site name is www.seleyhides.com

-Ty
                      Yep, again, width is fine on this one too.

Comment

yes those two were pain staking, as I was trying to put earlier (not sure I did too great of a job explaining) I had to toy with my template (constantly resizing and previewing it) until I got a page that fit nicely. I then saved it as a template and continued from there.

Comment

yes those two were pain staking, as I was trying to put earlier (not sure I did too great of a job explaining) I had to toy with my template (constantly resizing and previewing it) until I got a page that fit nicely. I then saved it as a template and continued from there.

LOL, it doesn't need to be that hard honestly, just set your page guidelines to the width you want, change your page width in your page properties to that same width and then build from the far left to the blue vertical line on the right of the page and you will be fine. As I said earlier, keep under 1000 wide.

Comment

Yes TY,

Hopefully I have it correct now, everything I have learned about computers (and I mean everything) has been self taught so its a constant learning process for me.

Short insight into my past, my first computer was a Tandy 1000 TX, I grew up with 3 brothers in a low income home, where that fits in to my story is ironically my mother fandangled (for the lack of a better term) my father into buying this computer so she could better keep track of all the coupons she used at the grocery store (expiration dates etc.) In essence she believed by spending several hundred dollars on a computer she could save a few cents more on grocerys. LOL I sure did enjoy playing F16 fighting falcon though!

It takes all kinds of people to make the world go round ;)

I will keep you in mind if I need more help with something, (cough) forms.

-DM

Comment

Ten years ago when I bought my first PC I had to get my 5 year old son to show me how to switch it on, I was just a truck driver at the time, so all self taught here too (the best way in my eyes). Right my bed time as it's 1am here and I still have a virus (swollen glands) so should really be getting some rest. Any help needed just give me a shout.

Comment

Working...
                              X