Don't want download of wmv file to autostart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't want download of wmv file to autostart

I have posted a video with both a windows media player embedded in my BlueVoda designed webpage for viewing on the website and a download link to download to the receipient computer for future viewing. I created a text link "Download" with the file I want downloaded as http://www.zionsbranch.org/07132008_s_256kbps.wmv. (This file name does not have spaces, but does have underscores.)

The problem is that when clicking on the download link, the file automatically starts to play in the recepients' computer Windows Media Player. I simply want the file to be saved to the recipient computer. Can anyone see what I have missed?

The webpage address is:

Thanks,
    Rich
    www.zionsbranch.org

Re: Don't want download of wmv file to autostart

Originally posted by Richest View Post
    I have posted a video with both a windows media player embedded in my BlueVoda designed webpage for viewing on the website and a download link to download to the receipient computer for future viewing. I created a text link "Download" with the file I want downloaded as http://www.zionsbranch.org/07132008_s_256kbps.wmv. (This file name does not have spaces, but does have underscores.)

The problem is that when clicking on the download link, the file automatically starts to play in the recepients' computer Windows Media Player. I simply want the file to be saved to the recipient computer. Can anyone see what I have missed?

The webpage address is:

Thanks,
    Rich
    www.zionsbranch.org
    Just put a message next to the link saying 'to save to your computer, right click and choose 'save as' then they have a choice of left clicking and auto play OR saving to their drive. That's pretty standard all over.
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Actually, you need provide simple text instruction for visitors to "SAVE TARGET AS" to 'download' a copy of the file rather than "Save As" (for that would merely save a shortcut/link icon to the file) .....
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thanks Marincky and Vasili. As usual, keeping it simple is the best approach.

Comment

Another solution would be to Zip the audio file, and then link to the zipped file.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
          02036089024 / United Kingdom
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Not everyone has or knows how to use WinZip or an alternative utility to go through the extra steps to "prepare" (properly unzip/extract/"reformat") a file, when it is simply easier to download the file 'ready to use' .... ya think? (there must be some logic to why this is so across millions of sites, this maintaining some sense of "universiality"?)

PS: He spoke specifically about a media file, not an audio file, meant for downloading to visitors directly for later viewing.
            . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
            * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
              Actually, you need provide simple text instruction for visitors to "SAVE TARGET AS" to 'download' a copy of the file rather than "Save As" (for that would merely save a shortcut/link icon to the file) .....
              This works great in IE, but in FF...this is not an option on right click...

so what would the instructions be for the FF users?
              Karen Williams
              Your Belief is Your Reality

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
                Not everyone has or knows how to use WinZip or an alternative utility to go through the extra steps to "prepare" (properly unzip/extract/"reformat") a file, when it is simply easier to download the file 'ready to use' .... ya think? (there must be some logic to why this is so across millions of sites, this maintaining some sense of "universiality"?)

PS: He spoke specifically about a media file, not an audio file, meant for downloading to visitors directly for later viewing.
                Actually ... quite the opposite is true. Windows will unzip a file even if you dont have WINZIP or any other utility installed. Internet users are quite familiar with USING zip files. Blue Voda itself is downloaded as a zip file for example, and so is MOST software that you purchase, images and much more. It takes NO MORE steps than "right click save target as"

Whats more.. there is a TON of FREE zip tools out there.. and NUMEROUS trial versions. Take 5 minutes and make it a SELF extracting zip is even easier. If you can master building a website.. im absolutely positive you can do a zip file for the ease of use of your customers. Further.. you can ZIP any file format and keep it in tact (no reformat needed). You can even link them to a zip tool. Its also commonly done across millions of sites...including vodahost.

Karen,
                A zip format would also work for FF customers.

Not that this needs to be an argument, my posting was intended to give yet another solution, without pulling any bandwidth from the site, for the end user to download this file without it starting to play.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thank you, Karen. I see that I still have a lot of planning left to do...LOL...thought I was near done with that part (yeah, right...seems like every part of it starts another issue to work out), but I will not go calmly into the dark night........I will get the kinks out, if it kills me! Thanks again!
                  Karen Williams

Comment

i think i have another solution. make a page with the video showing as an image perhaps the first frame on a page. put start button under the picture with instructions to click on the button to start the movie. when you click on the start button it will go to the new page that has the movie downloaded and it will start without prompting. that way we don't have to worry about save as or downloading or win zips. hope this works for you
                    mrmagoo144
                    www.videopostcards.info

Comment

Thanks Magoo..

I didnt think of that one either but that would work too!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Man.....I love this forum.....you rock Magoo!
                        Karen Williams

Comment

P.S. We need one of those annual events for vodaliens and wannabe vodaliens (like me) to meet and vacation together.......
                          Last edited by karenwms63; 10-18-2008, 12:58 AM. Reason: more info
                          Karen Williams

Comment

how to download movie from my site - please help me!!!

Hi All,
                            I created my web site for our sports agency - www.mgsportsmanagement.com with your voda web builder. I need to create a video links to each basketball player with his video basketball game to watch online - each basketball game movie is pretty big 1GB or more. what would be the best way to upload it to my web site and in addition I need to give an option to download the movie as well to the local user computer- how do I do it?
                            Thanks,
                            Mili

Comment

why are you asking this question on so many fora when it has already been addressed? i.e. "check with support to see if VH terms of service allow for what you have in mind"
                              I understand that it's also not so polite to jump onto someone else's thread......
                              Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

Working...
                              X