Sharing experience from publishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing experience from publishing

BlueVoda is indeed very user friendly for website building and publishing. Do remember the following tips:

1. You must create a home page called "index.bvp". No variations of this name is acceptable, not index1.bvp, or index-2.bvp, etc. Otherwise, when published, your website will just show a list of the hyperlinked file names with a header that says “index of …”.

2. Check the formatting of your page using the preview button, choosing your “default browser” for the viewing. Print from the preview to know how your page will look like when visitors print it.

3. Check, check and double check that the file names entered into the hyperlink menu bars are identical to the actual names of the files saved. These files are the pages you have created on BlueVoda and saved under the extension “.bvp” on the BlueVoda. However, when u enter these file names into the hyperlink, it has to look something like this “http://www.ben-apex.com/facilitylabdesign.html”you must add the extension “.html”.

4. When publishing, check that the IP address is the one you have been assigned by VodaHost. It would have been included in the drop down list, so choose the correct one. The default one appearing in the field may not be yours.

5. When published, find an opportunity to access your site through different operating systems. The formatting may be different on a PC and on a Mac.

We will share with you the next time, tips on improving your ranking in the search engines.

Good luck and have fun! Remember, your BlueVoda web pages created can only be published if your website is hosted by VodaHost.
    Carpe Diem!
    www.Ben-Apex.com
    BenApex@Singnet.com.sg

Re: Sharing experience from publishing Ben-Apex.com

Originally posted by Ben Apex View Post
    We will share with you the next time, tips on improving your ranking in the search engines.
    No need!

This information is in the Tutorials, and repeated thousands of times in the individual threads throughout the Forums (whose very purpose is to provide Support)!
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

And DON'T publish "index" or any other page with by adding a bvp extension.
      CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
      CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
      CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

You have a very nice looking site, at Ben Apex. It is refreshing to see someone who is relaying their experiences with publishing.

When I was brand new, I tried to use the search feature as everyone suggests, BUT if you don't know what it is called, then how do you use the search? LOL...this was one of my biggest problems...terminology of site building.

So I'd pick a forum here that seemed to be what I needed and tried to at least skim each thread, hoping to find someone with my same issue. More often than not, I found a thread directly related to my problem, and at least found out the terminology of what I needed, if not the answer.

And a lot of the times, I could find help from the links in the signatures of long time members of vodatalk.
        Karen Williams
        Your Belief is Your Reality

Comment

Re: Sharing experience from publishing

Hello Everyone! Wanted to make sure that Ben-Apex.com is successfully searchable before I get back to this thread… And, YES, when I now type “Ben Apex” in the google search, Ben-Apex.com is on page 1 !

Noted w thanks, Vasili. Took your advice and went thro many of the existing threads…

Thank you for the extra pointer, Tom...

Karen, really appreciate your visit to our website and for providing your feedback. I share your sentiments that newcomers can get lost in the myriad of forum threads out here. Here are some which I find particular helpful (which ironically, I now have problems finding them again in the forums…) :

Under the Forum of “Search Engine Topics & Vodahits”, I read the following:
          · 15 minute SEO & other tools
          · Search engine
          · How to name your pages for search engines
          · Vodasearch – how to list your website
          · New meta tags
          · What I am doing wrong

Under the Forum of “Saving, Naming, Previewing & Publishing”, I read Bethers’ “Use Of Index Page” and “Google Search Does Not Show My Page”.

In a nutshell, what worked for me were the following:
          1. Used the tools in www.seocentro.com to check the problems with my website. MetaTag Analyser and Keyword Analyzer were especially useful for me.
          2. Keyword Analyzer helped to check the % relevance of the keywords and the text on each page. I made a mistake of drawing up a keyword list that applied to my entire site (all pages) instead of customizing the keyword list for each page. Also, need to keep it under 20 keywords (or 500 characters) per page for the info to be “digestible” by the search engine. (May I suggest that BlueVoda include this limit in the pop-up box where we key in the keywords under “Metatag”...)
          3. Named all pages and images with the keywords from my web site address, and used underscores (eg. “ben_apex_quality_compliance_project_manageme nt”) to separate and link the words. Eg. All of my pages start with “ben_apex_something_something”. Eg. “ben_apex_quality_compliance_project_manageme nt”. For images, you can click the image, go into “properties” and add a name to it under “Alternate Text”. I named my image “Ben Apex Interim Management & Consultancy With A Vision”. The more often the keywords appear on your page and image titles, the easier it’ll be to have them search-able.
          4. After making all the above improvements, I re-published all linked pages without having to resubmit my sitemap to Google. When the system cached (ie. the newly published pages did not appear on the web as the browser is “stucked” with images of the old pages), I hit refresh many times over (didn’t help), then left it to “clear up” on its own over a week (each day still diligently accessing my website at least once).
          5. And finally, set all computers in the family to my company’s web page as the default page in their browser. J

Not that after doing all of the above to make your webpage highly delectable for the search engines to digest and find, we will still need to give it time (about 2-4 weeks) for the engine to find and prioritise it based on the keywords provided.

In the mean time, while waiting, try this shortcut. (Discovered this by chance and realized that others have been leveraging on it.) For a start, to get something appearing when u type your company’s name on at the search engines, make use of the BlueVoda forum. Add your company’s name to your signature for the BlueVoda forum, start a thread using your company’s name, etc.

Good luck in getting your web page ranked on the first page of your search!
          Carpe Diem!
          www.Ben-Apex.com
          BenApex@Singnet.com.sg

Comment

Working...
          X