Outlook Email Problem with Outgoing Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook Email Problem with Outgoing Server

Since this afternoon, I am unable to send out mail through Outlook. I use mail through Voda and my Voda webmail sends and receives fine. My Outlook mail receives but won't send. I get the following error:

Task 'CT River Candles mail - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I checked all my settings against Voda's tutorial and everything looks good and all other internet apps are working.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Brenda
    www.ctrivercandles.com

Re: Outlook Email Problem with Outgoing Server

In outlook you need to change your smtp to that of your internet service provider.

eg in Bristol, UK, my ISP is blueyonder, so my out going server is smtp.blueyonder.co.uk

Darren
    Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

My internet service provider is the same as my cable TV, Comcast, however I've never done any special network setup because they use DHCP. Their dns name is www.comcast.net I tried using that in Outlook as the outgoing smtp server and it still didn't work. I don't understand why this would have changed out of the clear blue. Will I need to setup email through them to get this to work because I really don't need another email account. I do have a Yahoo email account in addition to my Voda, can I use that?

Thank you for your help.
      Brenda
      www.ctrivercandles.com

Comment

I found this at www.comcast.net

smtp.comcast.net

Did you try this?

For more info relating to your ISP follow this link http://sitesearch.comcast.com/?q=smtp&cat=com&con=www&sec=Customers&PageName=CON TENT%2BCATEGORY%2FHelp%2B%26+Support+-+High-Speed+Internet

Darren
        Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Yes, I used that exact DNS as my outgoing mail server(smtp) but under "More Settings" on the Outgoing Server Tab in Outlook, I have "My outgoing server requires authentication" box checked and then "Use the same settings as my Incoming Server" checked because I don't have a username and password for Comcast. I can sign up for one I guess if it's necessary but I'll never use email through there....
          Brenda
          www.ctrivercandles.com

Comment

Originally posted by blt212 View Post
            Yes, I used that exact DNS as my outgoing mail server(smtp) but under "More Settings" on the Outgoing Server Tab in Outlook, I have "My outgoing server requires authentication" box checked and then "Use the same settings as my Incoming Server" checked because I don't have a username and password for Comcast. I can sign up for one I guess if it's necessary but I'll never use email through there....
            UNCHECK IT

You shouldn't need username and password from Comcast.

Try unchecking that box and let me know

Darren
            Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

I tried that, still didn't work.....same message below. According to Voda's directions, that box needs to be checked and I should be able to use
              mail.ctrivercandles.com as both my incoming and outgoing server which is how I how it setup and working before this afternoon when it went kafooie. I really appreciate your help though.

Task 'CT River Candles mail - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'
              Brenda
              www.ctrivercandles.com

Comment

Sorry Brenda... I am at a loss.

I was looking at my settings while giving you this advice. My email settings work without checking that box. In fact I've never had the need to go into 'more settings'.

I have several email accounts in VH and they are all set up the same way and I have no problems.

This outgoing issue seems to be a recent thing, where ISPs want you to send emails via their servers. I have no idea why?

Unless anyone here can shed some light, my only advice is to contact Comcast and see what they suggest.

Good luck

Darren
                Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Thanks Darren.....I will have to check with Comcast....the dreaded phone tree call.....I'll probably just setup an account and see if I can get it working like that first before making that call. Have a great holiday and thank you again for your advice....much appreciated.

Brenda
                  Brenda
                  www.ctrivercandles.com

Comment

Re: Outlook Email Problem with Outgoing Server FIXED

I contacted Comcast and the only thing I needed to change was the Port Number. It was set on 25 and had to be set on 587. The Incoming and Outgoing server names remained the same, in my case: mail.ctrivercandles.com

Now, I can start peeling potatoes for Turkey Day!!
                    Brenda
                    www.ctrivercandles.com

Comment

Re: Outlook Email Problem with Outgoing Server FIXED

Originally posted by blt212 View Post
                      I contacted Comcast and the only thing I needed to change was the Port Number. It was set on 25 and had to be set on 587. The Incoming and Outgoing server names remained the same, in my case: mail.ctrivercandles.com

Now, I can start peeling potatoes for Turkey Day!!
                      Excellent
                      Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

looks like i have same problem too... but my ISP cannot provide me the port... i used 25, 465 587.... also cannot

my in is mail.aaa.com.my
                        my out is smtp.maxis.net.my

care to help me... thank you

Comment

Originally posted by jomfadzil View Post
                          looks like i have same problem too... but my ISP cannot provide me the port... i used 25, 465 587.... also cannot

my in is mail.aaa.com.my
                          my out is smtp.maxis.net.my

care to help me... thank you
                          Might not work but probably worth a try if you haven't already. Change your outgoing server to that of your incoming another words mail.aaa.com.my.

If that don't work you will have to contact your Internet Service Provider. This issue, as was demonstrated above, is something they will have to help you with.

Good luck

Darren
                          Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Working...
                          X