Redirect all pages from old domain to index page of new domain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redirect all pages from old domain to index page of new domain

Hello, the title basically says it all. I have an old domain name, and I want any instance of the old domain being used to redirect to the home page of the new site.

For example, if you do a site search for the old domain on google: http://www.google.com/search?source=...realestate.com

I want to set it up so that if you click on ANY of those links, it will 301 redirect to the home page of my new site vodahost site.

The DNS server for the old site is hosted with serversanddomains.us and cannot be changed for a few reasons.

I called them and the tech doesn't believe it can be done in the DNS, although it seems like it would have to be for most of the links on that site search to work (the second link is an exception, as it tries to redirect to the same page on the new domain)

Any help is appreciated!
    Jacob Hebert
    Lake Conroe Real Estate

Re: Redirect all pages from old domain to index page of new domain

You can do it in your cpanel. You can redirect domains there. You can also do a 301 redirect in htaccess and.. you can make a custom error page and send them to the new domain as well.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi jacobherbert and Karen Mac

To Redirect a viewer to another page
      Place this script in page html (right click on your page, page html and place the above script in Between Head Tag

<META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="0;URL=http://www.mydomain.com">

Just one more thing for maybe future use. The 0 in the scritp represents seconds. Therefore- if you want the page to appear and then re-direct set if for 3 to 5 seconds. Play around with it and see how it works.
      +++An example- lets say you have a page that is "Under Construction" You could the have that display and then it would automatically re-direct to another page.
      Hope that Helps... Doug

Comment

Hey Karen,

I looked in the redirect section but I believe I'm only allowed to control domains that are using the vodahost dns servers, and the site I'm redirecting is using another server for dns, which cannot be changed because of exchange, etc.

Hey Doug,

The pages I want to redirect are no longer accessible so I'm not able to add a meta refresh redirect. So I'm trying to redirect any and all pages associated with the old domain to go to the main page of the new domain.
        Jacob Hebert
        Lake Conroe Real Estate

Comment

Originally posted by dougnez View Post
          Hi jacobherbert and Karen Mac

To Redirect a viewer to another page
          Place this script in page html (right click on your page, page html and place the above script in Between Head Tag

<META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="0;URL=http://www.mydomain.com">

Just one more thing for maybe future use. The 0 in the scritp represents seconds. Therefore- if you want the page to appear and then re-direct set if for 3 to 5 seconds. Play around with it and see how it works.
          +++An example- lets say you have a page that is "Under Construction" You could the have that display and then it would automatically re-direct to another page.
          Hope that Helps... Doug
          Doug

Yes I know you can do this...its the LONG way around it. One line in htacess does it for you, as well as the cpanel direct.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by jacobhebert View Post
            Hey Karen,

I looked in the redirect section but I believe I'm only allowed to control domains that are using the vodahost dns servers, and the site I'm redirecting is using another server for dns, which cannot be changed because of exchange, etc.

Hey Doug,

The pages I want to redirect are no longer accessible so I'm not able to add a meta refresh redirect. So I'm trying to redirect any and all pages associated with the old domain to go to the main page of the new domain.
            Jacob to be honest Id have to go look at cpanel, however, if you have that folder in your cpanel, and the DNS server is pointed to voda, it should still redirect it. You are simply forwarding one folder on your server to another.

If it doesnt, for some odd reason, you can run the .htacess redirect in that domain folder. You can google for the how to.. they are everywhere.. but a simple line

301 redirect http://www.oldsite.com/ http://www.newsite.com/

will work.. you can also direct individual pages just add the page names and extensions to the end there. Theres also scripted directs.. fancier than this.. but this works.

heres a good easy to understand resource for HOW to do it... just in case you need a hand.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
            X