Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soholaunch - pages displaying questions

Hello ...

Needing some assistance with the new Soholaunch site I am building for a club. I've built a couple of Blue Voda sites previously, but this is my first rodeo with Soholaunch.

Domain name transfer was finally completed today, so I downloaded Soholaunch and made a quick "under construction" notice on the home page.

Next, I noticed there was an update available for the software, so I downloaded that ... it went from the 7 of the download to something like a 17 ... my memory is a little fuzzy since it's nearly 3am.

Later in the evening, I created a new OFFICERS page ... which I "thought" I was working on "behind the scenes" since I did not add it to the current menu ... just the available pages menu.

After eating dinner, I went back to work on the site but first I logged onto the site like I was a regular website visitor. I was very surprised to find the [unfinished] OFFICERS page on public display when I had not yet added it to the current menu ... yikes!

It still showed as an off-menu item when I logged in through sohoadmin as well ... but logging into the website as a visitor on several different computers displayed the OFFICERS page in all it's unfinished glory. Sigh ... so I stayed up and worked on it until it was reasonably presentable and then added it to the current menu as an active page.

OK ... but the OFFICERS page still loads first instead of the "under construction" home page when logging into the website.

Question # 1 ... what have I done wrong?

Question # 2 ... how do I correct it?

Question # 3 ... am I confused about thinking I should be able to work on off-menu, available pages "behind the scenes" and preview them WITHOUT them becoming live pages yet?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!

Yawn, yawn ...
    I'm going to bed now ...
    will check for answers in the morning!

JANET
    http://www.andrc.com

Re: Soholaunch - pages displaying questions

Apparently somewhere you reassigned the officers page as the home page. Thats in the admin area i believe. You will have to take this reassignment off there and reassign HOME as the home page.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thank YOU, Karen!!

Don't know how I managed to "change" it originally, but you made it a quick and easy fix ... that I NEVER would have found on my own.

You're a gem!

Comment

Re: Soholaunch - pages displaying questions on AOL

Could someone possibly shed some light on another question?

When I check the website through the browser in AOL, pages are displaying differently on AOL than through Firefox or Internet Explorer [which I thought was the browser that AOL uses].

Differences noted so far are:
        1. a different background color behind the menu
        2. the Officers page showing an error page instead of displaying
        3. the website not even being populated when I went to the site through AOL until nearly 24 hours after it was live on Firefox and Explorer.

I know that a lot of the club's membership uses AOL ... so I need to make sure the website "works" as it was designed to for them also.

Question: what do I need to keep in mind about the AOL browsing experience as I build the website to ensure that it works correctly on AOL?

Again, thanks in advance for the assistance!

JANET

Comment

LOL.... youre welcome... just takes practice and clicking every button til you know what it does.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

AOL Caches. You probably have that aol SPEED installed and its the WORST for that.

AOL was NETSCAPE for awhile and in fact OWNS netscape and compuserve. It went to IE browser, (sort of) and is NOW FIREFOX. However, it still has these netscape attributes attatched to it.. ie the caching is just one. You have a seperate temp folder from the actual internet browse folder where it stores pages and information and unless you use ccleaner or start, programs, aol, aol system info, utilities and clear that folder out you will get cached pages til hell freezes over.

Since its not a TRUE browser or search engine either, it takes LONGER than any of the others to update because it updates from google.

The aol speed is like that dialup speed thing that makes pages load faster because it only renders parts of the pixels (image compression) and can change the actual color because its not rendering all of the pixels.

I have issues with aol not even staying logged in because its always refreshing and changing up ips and having to redownload cookies etc.

LOL....are you sure you want advice here. LOLOL... dont depend on aol for the majority of your browsing or viewing your updates. You might make a troubleshooting page for aol members if you really think you will have a ton of them.

Karen

Originally posted by Renaissance View Post
            Could someone possibly shed some light on another question?

When I check the website through the browser in AOL, pages are displaying differently on AOL than through Firefox or Internet Explorer [which I thought was the browser that AOL uses].

Differences noted so far are:
            1. a different background color behind the menu
            2. the Officers page showing an error page instead of displaying
            3. the website not even being populated when I went to the site through AOL until nearly 24 hours after it was live on Firefox and Explorer.
            I know that a lot of the club's membership uses AOL ... so I need to make sure the website "works" as it was designed to for them also.

Question: what do I need to keep in mind about the AOL browsing experience as I build the website to ensure that it works correctly on AOL?

Again, thanks in advance for the assistance!

JANET

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Many thanks, Karen!

Although I've had AOL e-mail addresses which I've kept for more than a decade, I personally haven't used the AOL browser for several years. LOL ... Once spoiled by using Firefox, I lost the patience to wait for AOL to do it's thing.

However, since I "think" a lot of this websites users probably still use AOL for browsing, I appreciate your suggestion regarding addressing the issue on the website.

Thanks again,
              JANET

Comment

Working...
              X