Creating and setting up a mailing list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating and setting up a mailing list

I have set up an option on my website for people to subscribe to a mailing list. Currently I set it up as an e-mail send from my site to info@lightthefireministries.org.za, containg all the relevant information. How do I set up a mailing list? I did look at the option in my c-panel and this is where the confusion started. I do not understand all the options and it seems as if the information could be submitted online and automatically entered in a mailing list and managed accordingly. I envisaged creating and managing it manually, not knowing any better. Is there a better way to do this?
    Bless you!
    Stephanus
    Light The Fire Ministries

Re: Creating and setting up a mailing list

You need a script to submit it to a database similar to a membership list, then you can import the list to a mailing program to send your letters. Autoresponders CAN do this .. but youd need a customized one.. not the one in the email cpanel.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi Karen,

Thanks. Any idea as to where I could obtain such a script?
      Bless you!
      Stephanus
      Light The Fire Ministries

Comment

Hi Karen (or other mods), today is the first time I'm using BV's mailing list function, and I'm perplexed. All I want to do is set up a few mailing lists in one of my (VH-hosted) domains, so I can send my opt-in folks an e-mail every so often.

I assumed step #1 was to use cPanel's "Mailing Lists" button to create and name the list, so that's what I did. I then used the "Import Addresses/Forwarders" button to pull in my list of e-mail addresses from an Excel file. No problem.

The problem comes when I go into mailman (I think that's what it's called) to administer the list. Specifically:

1) I don't want people who are on the list to be able to send messages to others on the list. Only I and a few others I choose should be able to send messages. How do I set it that way?

2) I don't want messages that I send (or my other admins send) to the list members to be held up for "moderator approval." I just want them to go out like a normal e-mail. How do I make that happen?

THANK YOU in advance for your help!

Comment

I've been looking all over for answers to my questions in the previous post. One thing I've figured out is that "mailman" (the program behind cPanel's "Mailing Lists" and "Import Addresses" buttons) is way more complex and full-featured than what I need.

I see that Horde has an Address Book tool. When I go into it and click on Help > Overview, it says, "Depending on how your administrator has set up the system, it can provide a private address book. It also supports distribution lists so you can create your own "mailing lists."

That's exactly what I want to do (especially the creating of mailing lists), but I don't see any instructions in Address Book for how to do it. Can someone PLEASE tell me?! THANK YOU, I really need to get these questions answered ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by StephanusvS View Post

Thanks. Any idea as to where I could obtain such a script?
            If your planning on using a mailing list software that captures and then allows you to send out newsletters though an admin area on your server and so on then, for free ones you could use the one in cpanel/fantastico, or do a google search. " though you get what you get and have to work with it"
            We at Blue Voda Designer do offer this script as a fully installed software though not free.
            But if you do find one and get stuck installing then just shout.

As a foot note: though at the moment you may not do it. in the future if your mailing list goes though the roof then i would strongly suggest you keep on your stats and do not break the vodahost TOS as a dedicated server may be needed for this type of software. but this does depend on the size of your mailing list.
            Alien Dude Solutions

Comment

I am still looking for instructions on how to set up mailing lists in Horde. I assume (though maybe incorrectly) that it can be done within Horde's AddressBook tool? I really don't know, and I need to know ASAP . . . PLEASE.

Comment

Working...
              X