Old HTML site to new SOholaunch site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old HTML site to new SOholaunch site

We have an HTML site hosted by another company. We would like to switch to Vodahost and upload our HTML files while we recreate/redesign the site in the background using Soholaunch.

We have two domain names, one of which is the master domain. We don't really need to use the second one, unless it can be done inexpensively (as a mapped or forwarded domain, mapping to the master domain).

I'm trying to figure out what to do first. Here's my thinking:

1. Sign up for Vodahost service.
    2. Point my DNS servers to Voda's servers
    3. Cancel my other hosting account
    4. Upload/update my HTML files
    5. Install Soholaunch in my Control Panel and create a Soholaunch site
    6. Publish my Soholaunch site (hopefully this will overwrite the old files)

Does this sound correct? I'm not quite a newbie but I know just enough to spend a lot of time spinning in circles.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
    span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

Re: Old HTML site to new SOholaunch site

Almost..point the servers, install soholaunch and make your site. Most important from your old site will be the product files. then you can populate soho.. use your html as includes or not.. or just copy and paste the text/pictures from the coding...clean up the codes for their new locations and be set to go.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thanks, Karen.

We don't have any products, just services and, eventually, lots of images. Our HTML site is out of date, both stylistically and content-wise. So we plan to recreate the site in the backround till it's ready to publish (using soholaunch) while the old site stays public till we're ready.

Am I correct in assuming that once we publish the soholaunch site the old pages will be replaced? Or will we need to manually clean up the site map in the background?
      span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

Comment

Once you publish you will need a new sitemap.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Karen is right on questions 1,2,3,5 .. (go for it)

as to your other question(s)

4. Upload/update my HTML files
          -- no need to upload them, once you install soholaunch, yo can easily make new pages and cut and paste the HTML into Soholaunch...

6. Publish my Soholaunch site (hopefully this will overwrite the old files)
          ---- Soholaunch is a CMS system NOT a local editor (installed on the host) so, it WILL take over the main domain when you install it...

No worries, digger,

phil

What about a site link?

Do have an html editor?

why not use BlueVODA?
          "To share knowledge is to seek immortality" the Dali Lama...

My main website

WikiPedia Web-terminology

Comment

Thanks, Karen and Surfer.

It looks like I'll have a go in the next few days (when I have some time to breathe!).

As for the HTML vs. Soholaunch vs. Blue Voda issues, I have been using Dreamweaver for years, but the other folks in the organization who need to get into the site to change/update info on a regular (few times weekly) basis have only the most basic skills, and no HTML editor on their sys's. So I thought Soholaunch would be the most user-friendly for those folks whose skills are adequate for word-processing but not much else. I was under the impression that Blue Voda did not lend itself as well as Soholaunch to multi-user (in different locations), non-web-savvy, folks. Thus my interest in Soholaunch (and also the blogging and events calendar features, which look simple enough even for the newbies in our org to use)!

Please tell me I'm right about this!
            span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

Comment

Spot on mate!

Soho is a CMS system, geared towards community based websites...

Yeah, I agree using DW, is NOT the tool for the weak of heart...

I think Soho launch is OK.. but I prefer a more "open solution" there are better ones' on the market.....

But, it sounds like SohoLaunch is good enough for your needs.

look forward to seeing the site!!!

cheers,
              phil
              "To share knowledge is to seek immortality" the Dali Lama...

My main website

WikiPedia Web-terminology

Comment

Originally posted by HTTPsurfer View Post
                Karen is right on questions 1,2,3,5 .. (go for it)

as to your other question(s)

-- no need to upload them, once you install soholaunch, yo can easily make new pages and cut and paste the HTML into Soholaunch...

---- Soholaunch is a CMS system NOT a local editor (installed on the host) so, it WILL take over the main domain when you install it...

No worries, digger,

phil

What about a site link?

Do have an html editor?

why not use BlueVODA?
                I answered that on a previous post..number 4.

You cannot however simply install soho in a directory that already has another website in it, it WILL not overwrite. It needs a CLEAN DIRECTORY install.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Okay, Karen. So, in that situation could I just take down the website and upload the Soholaunch site?
                  span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

Comment

Thanks, Phil.

Since the HTML files I make through Dreamweaver are already backed up on my system, I figure I'll be all set. I was under the impression that I can't back up files from a CMS system on my local machine. Am I missing something?

Comment

You can backup soho and download the backup to your local machine. You wont be able to work on your files saved but you can back them up.

Soho isnt a CMS system. Its an ECOMMERCE builder with some other functions built in similar to a cms but its not really designed to be a cms. Dont be mislead there.

what is all that span.jajaWrapper stuff?

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Karen, thanks for the clarification. It looks like it will still do what I want even without the ecommerce function (which we may add later for donations in various categories).

If I understand it correctly, I can design a site, assign a couple of admins including myself as "main" admin, and they can log into the control panel / admin area and add/change content on pages as needed, and blog, add photos, etc. -- without having to know how to "code" web pages. So it's relatively WSYIWYG for their use.

I can also password protect directories and manage users individually if desired.

Is this correct or do I need to look at a different system?

BTW, as for the jajaWrapper, I'm hoping this post shows up without it (won't know till I actually post, as it doesn't show up in the Quick Reply box)... I have Jajah internet telephony and, despite updating it, it does not want to play nicely with Firefox. I've disabled it so we'll see if that helps. If not I'll uninstall it (don't really need the FF addon), because it's as annoying to me as it probably is to you!

Jane

Is all that corre

Comment

Yay! It worked. No jajaWrapper. Ignore the last half-sentence in the previous post.

Comment

Jane

Yes.. basically you can do all of that very easily and without the complications of a full cms system.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Oh, great. I will get a move on!

Comment

Working...
                              X