This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sub domain/add on domain

I'll try to give as much detail as possible here.... my father uses vodahost. He has a domain and a couple subdomains. His websites work so I should be able to do all the same stuff with mine. I can't.
    When I tried to create a subdomain, i couldn't get it to show up (it did upload the files though).
    I filed a support ticket and was told I needed an Add On domain. I attempted to create one but Cpanel said there already was a domain with that name. So I deleted the subdomain with that name, created it as an Add On, and published. However, all I got was a file folder instead of the actual page.
    I know that the home page must be named "index", and it is but still not working. Looking at Cpanel, it states: An addon domain allows you to reach a sub-domain when entering the name of the addon domain into a browser. This means that you can host additional domains from your account, if allowed by your hosting provider. Addon Domains are relative to your account's home directory.
    Now I'm completely confused! It sounds as if I need BOTH a Sub and Add-On. Is this correct? Cause apparently Cpanel wouldn't let me do it. What the heck am I doing wrong?!

Re: problem with sub domain/add on domain

from my understanding:

addons: are for use with other domain names you have.
    If you want to have hosted on your VODAhost space.
    the files will be located in a sub folder of public_html
    ie: public_html/yourdomain.com (sub: yourname.com when you make the addon)... when a user type www.yourdomain.com they will be pointed to voda and this subfolders files.

subdomains : are related to your main domain:
    the also in a sub folder of public_html
    ie: mail.yourdomain.com
    if a user types: mail.yourdomain.com they will be redirected to the files in this subfolder...

hope this helps,

link?
    "To share knowledge is to seek immortality" the Dali Lama...

My main website

WikiPedia Web-terminology

Comment

i am sooo confused at this point. i have my main domain, www.holeinthegroundpro.com I want my sub, add on, or whatever its called, www.getspork.com And i want it to appear as a totally separate website. People type in either one of those addresses, it stays written that way in the address bar, not simply redirecting them to a page within the first website.

I'm telling you my dad has a domain and a couple sub domains and they work this way. so, there's some way to do it.

Everyone seems to be telling me something different here. Cpanel makes it sounds like i can't have an Add On without a Sub. yet i CANNOT do both with Cpanel.

Comment

What you are wanting to do is a add-on domain. You need another domain name (other than the one for your main site) to create the new domain, follow this link to watch the video on setting up the add-on. http://www.vodahost.com/demowolf/x3/...-x3-addon.html

Once you create the add-on it will be like a brand new web site your first page for this add-on will be index and you will publish all other pages as you did before. The one thing you will whave to pay carefull attention to is that you publish everything for the new domain to the right folder, public_html/newdomain. You do not need a sub-domain to do an add-on. You just have to make sure you are not trying to use a name of a folder that you already have in your public_html folder already.
        Reguards
        Ed
        www.dsondesigns.com
        www.marseillesyouthsports.com
        www.300hitter.com
        www.bigjk.net
        How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

Well, it appears i have done everything correctly. i've watched the tutorial twice and compared everything. i've done everything the same and it all seems to be in the correct locations. i've also watched the publishing tutorial. I've done everything there properly too.

Right now i just have a cgi file folder coming up when i type in the add on domain address in my browser. this would indicate that i didn't name my home page for it "index". i have and its in a separate folder as my main site's index page. So why isn't this working yet?

Comment

A seperate folder on your computer? Is that what you mean? You need to publish to the new add-on inside your public_html folder, When you publish you will need to add the new site name so it will say public_html/newsite
            publish your index here.
            Reguards
            Ed
            www.dsondesigns.com
            www.marseillesyouthsports.com
            www.300hitter.com
            www.bigjk.net
            How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

Hi,

Dont keep on saying you are confused. You are not trying to understand how
              everything work. You cant mix a sub-domain and an add-on domain as they are two different things.

This is your main domain "www.holeinthegroundpro.com"

This is a subdomain "getspork.holeinthegroundpro.com"
              The above kind of subdomain you can add as many as you like and it is free.

This is and "add-on domain" www.getspork.com
              For an add-on you have to buy the domain name first before it can be added.

When you add an add-on domain to your cPanel, it appears as a "Folder"
              with your add-on domain name in "public_html" and you publish all your webpages for the add-on domain [i.e. www.getspork.com] to the said folder

To publish from bluevoda you just type in "public_html/getspork" and then you publish the page.

When you search using your browser it will be www.getspork.com/ and you add-on domain should show up.
              www.siapamoyanganda.com/
              Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
              State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Working...
              X